Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
    So if a friction / adjustable knot may not hold w/ slippery Amsteel, I guess I can make separate lashing out of Amsteel. It would just replace the wide, black webbing in this video, right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wrRb03yjQ

But then how do you have any adjustability in the suspension to give your hammock more or less sag? (If you have to use a non-adjustable knot to attach to the lashing)
    As to the replacement, yep.

As to the adjustment, well, you untie the lashing and retie it. Which is why a majority of Hennessy owners (at least, that's the appearance) wind up going over to another suspension option eventually. It's kinda a pain to adjust that four or five times to find the proper sag angle for you.

Sorry 'bout that, but them's the breaks with that particular suspension system.

Ok that's fine, there's always a fiddle factor (in this case it is using sticks and retying) with going lighter. We'll see how much I can stand. But first I am going to try some of the adjustable hitches, including the Blake's hitch....never heard that mentioned before, thx.!

I guess I can use a marlin spike hitch (using a stout stick as the spike, no weight...do people find them snapping under load and that's why they use bits of aluminum or tent spikes?) to get some decent adjustability here as well as it is quick to tie the marlin and easy to undo it and do it again. Then I'd just need need a fixed length of amsteel through the gathered end of the hammock right?

In this setup, I'd try to maximize the length of the lashing to accommodate really large circumference trees. If the tree was a smaller size, but the distance between trees was rather far, I'd just tie the marlin spike hitch farther down on the leftover bit of the lashing, right? And keep the fixed end attached to my hammock extremely short to save weight?

Hrmmm....thinking some more...If I go with a marlin spike hitch out of amsteel and hang a fixed length of amsteel from my hammock to the knot on the back of the marlin spike hitch, would I be in danger of the fixed end loop hopping off or sliding off a knot that small made out of 7/64in amsteel?

Maybe I can take a climbing spec caribiner and cut it down to just a toggle and hang the fixed end loop off that for added security rather than just the tiny knot at minimal weight add?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    Ok that's fine, there's always a fiddle factor (in this case it is using sticks and retying) with going lighter. We'll see how much I can stand. But first I am going to try some of the adjustable hitches, including the Blake's hitch....never heard that mentioned before, thx.!
    When you do just make sure you do a 5 wrap under 3 on the Blake's hitch. My 2 best friction hitches are the Blake's hitch and the farrimond hitch

J

A friend suggested a "slipped trucker's hitch" for my needs as is it adjustable.

"I've got to say -- since I realized this way to tie the trucker's hitch, I have NEVER used another tautline -- there are just too many advantages to this trucker's hitch. One of the chief advantages is that this knot does not slip and (in my experience) tautlines all to often do slip"

Any thoughts on this?

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    I just wanna see the gear list for a sub 5lb base on 3 season ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    I just wanna see the gear list for a sub 5lb base on 3 season ..
    Yours is very nice, Black Wolf
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    If you want to use knots only, Instead of the lashing, use the claytor method. A slippery half hitch followed by another half hitch using the slippery loop. This is done at the hammock end (not the tree). See here: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html

This is extremely fast especially for someone who uses knots a lot. Also, it can be undone and redone very quickly to readjust.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A friend suggested a "slipped trucker's hitch" for my needs as is it adjustable.

"I've got to say -- since I realized this way to tie the trucker's hitch, I have NEVER used another tautline -- there are just too many advantages to this trucker's hitch. One of the chief advantages is that this knot does not slip and (in my experience) tautlines all to often do slip"

Any thoughts on this?
    I am not entirely sure what a slipped trucker's hitch is (or, rather, what part of the trucker's hitch is slippery), but it is my belief that adjustable hitches like the tautline are preferable when you are using rope that stretches (for instance, when wet). You can easily remove the slack. With these hi-tech ropes that stretch very little, getting them good and tight with a trucker's hitch is a set-and-forget affair. And no worries of the hitch sliding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast