DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH

3/4 UQ with Bottom Entry Hennessey?

I've been looking at the JRB Nest, but it is more UQ than I need. I'm looking more for a 40* UQ. I am currently using a pad and figure if I want to go lower I could use it to supplement an UQ. Do you bottom entry users find a 3/4 UQ to work well for you or is it a big hassel getting in and out and adjusting them? Do you just push them aside to enter? I like the bottom entry because of flexibility and skeeter issues, but UQ selection is confusing me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Curious to see the responses you get to this question.

Personally, I find them too much trouble. It can be done and I've done it many times, but adjusting the quilt from inside can be an exercise in frustration. Even though you say you will be using the bottom entry method, I think it would be money spent wisely if you were to have a zipper mod done on it. A zipper mod would give you the access to make your adjustments easily.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I wonder if arm size zipper mods on the sides can be made, just for quilt adjusting?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    I wonder if arm size zipper mods on the sides can be made, just for quilt adjusting?
    I would think that would be much easier to install than a complete zipper mod. Personally, I like the side entry better, but you may be on to something with your idea.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used a Hennessy that had a zipper mod and a 16 inch zipper on the opposite side. I think it would work well if there were two 16 inch zippers , one on each side. Slide in through the bottom and open each zipper and get the quilt right. It should be totally do-able.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps

Thumbs up

What an interesting idea! If you go forward with it PLEASE post all the details!
    This forum and its members never cease to amaze me with the brain activity and resulting ideas.

Images
    the nest has loops on the sides to hook to the pull-outs of the HH. this helps keep it centered. if you got a 3/4 i would sew loops on it to do the same.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I emailed 2QZQ about a mod, and this is their response (which was very prompt, within an hour after I sent it after 9:00pm.)
    Thanks for the inquiry about the zipper mods. Most who just want "arm length" zippers go with our Mod 1 with triple zipper pulls on both sides. The Mod 1 has a zipper on the left side from the head end to the side tie out and a zipper on the right side from the head end to the side tie out. We need a secure place to terminate the zipper tape which is why it goes to the side tie out patch versus a 16" section only. The triple zipper pulls allow you to open up any section along the way as large as you want to stick your arm out for quilt adjustments without having to unzip the entire bugnet from the head end of the hammock. Check out our website specifically on the Mod 1 for pictures. The Mod 1 is $35 plus $2 additional if you want the triple zipper pulls on both sides.

So I can resolve the adjustment of the quilt from the inside. That leaves me with the question about pushing an UQ and the ease of entry using an UQ with a BE Hennessey. Any BE Hennessey owners using 3/4 UQ? I'm only 5'3", so 3/4 UQ should work well for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    the nest has loops on the sides to hook to the pull-outs of the HH. this helps keep it centered. if you got a 3/4 i would sew loops on it to do the same.
    So does the HH Super Shelter. And that is a great idea there KK. The bottom entry is not the problem, not being able to reach out and adjust the quilt is the problem. But that is not really a problem with the HHSS, partly due to the side guy out lines which go from hammock thru the HHSS and to ground/tree/bush.

Sew the loops on a 3/4, and if adjusted with enough but not too much tension before getting in, should be fine. Not as good as being able to reach out and adjust, but it should work fine.

Images
    I emailed 2QZQ about a mod, and this is their response (which was very prompt, within an hour after I sent it after 9:00pm.)
    Thanks for the inquiry about the zipper mods. Most who just want "arm length" zippers go with our Mod 1 with triple zipper pulls on both sides. The Mod 1 has a zipper on the left side from the head end to the side tie out and a zipper on the right side from the head end to the side tie out. We need a secure place to terminate the zipper tape which is why it goes to the side tie out patch versus a 16" section only. The triple zipper pulls allow you to open up any section along the way as large as you want to stick your arm out for quilt adjustments without having to unzip the entire bugnet from the head end of the hammock. Check out our website specifically on the Mod 1 for pictures. The Mod 1 is $35 plus $2 additional if you want the triple zipper pulls on both sides.

So I can resolve the adjustment of the quilt from the inside. That leaves me with the question about pushing an UQ and the ease of entry using an UQ with a BE Hennessey. Any BE Hennessey owners using 3/4 UQ? I'm only 5'3", so 3/4 UQ should work well for me.
    I really have not except to play around a bit in the back yard, but it should be fine if you can reach out and adjust or if you can't, you have added some loops on the quilt like KK said to line up with the side tie outs, just like with the HHSS. When you sit down in the hammock, it's just a matter of reaching through the BE and pulling the quilt under your butt and lining things up correctly before you lay down. But if you don't have the zipper, and the quilt moves in the night, readjusting might be a pain. The loop mod really sounds like a good idea!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast