Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

She said, "But it is raining outside!"

I woke up this morning on one of my days off to the nice sound of rain hitting the bedroom window. My son and I have been waiting for a chance to try out his blue walmart tarp setup idea over his hammock so today was the day.
    We had a quick breakfast and started getting things together when my wife asked what we were doing. "We are going to test out tarp setups for the hammock." "Oh- but its raining outside," she said. "Precisely." I replied. She shook her head and muttered- a sign that I am off my rocker again and that men do things that do not make sense.
    We set up the tarp in a diamond shape fairly quickly and put up the hammock. I was able to do this in our back yard even though it does not have any trees. This is possible because it suddenly occurred to me that the expensive wooden play set I built for my children years ago (that only I touch when it is time to cut the grass and weed-eat) might prove useful as a hammock hanging spot. All I had to do was move one of the A frame supports out to the end of the swingset bar and we had just enough room for two hammocks. Brilliant!
    Back to the story.
    Now it is raining much harder and my son is comfortably settled in to his hammock. There is just enough room for me to crouch under the tarp next to him and enjoy that wonderful sound of rain and a light breeze. I was able to show him the benefits of improvised drip loops too.
    We were out there when a new geocache was published in the area -another fanatical hobby of mine- and since he was beginning to get bored and he wanted to snag a first-to-find I figured why not. We were already a little damp and maybe the rain would hold off other first-to-find fanatics.
    We decided to leave it set up to see how effective it was at keeping the hammock dry and off we went.
    We snagged the FTF on the cache and did a few other caches that had popped up since I last covered that area and then headed home for lunch and a look at the hammock.
    My son wanted to change into dry clothes and then dive into some first person shooter video game action instead of messing with the hammock, so after lunch he headed his way and I took off to the back yard. The hard rain and light breeze had not gotten to the hammock much to my surprise. Oh, this is too good to pass up I thought, so I made a hot cup of coffee, grabbed my small folding camp table and a Clancy hardback and settled in for some lovely quiet ME time. AHHHHHHH.
    This is the life. My first hang in the rain with no one around. I pulled out my phone to snap a photo and instead found it was in video mode.So I thought I would share it with my new hammockforum friends.
    I found the drip pattern under the climbing ramp interesting and unusual. The railroad spike kept tarp flapping to a minimum and was something I did just to show my son. I also set up a rainwater collection point under a drip loop on the other tarp guyline. He thought collecting and drinking rainwater was an interesting idea so I showed him how. It tasted like the tarp though.

My wife does not understand, but I know y'all do.

-Sarge

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great way to spend the day! You never hear about people enjoying sitting in their tents enjoying the rain.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    We do. Cool video. Thanks!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Nice video. I collect rain water when I'm camping too. What a rain we had here earlier! It was nice to meet you yesterday. Best of luck with your DIY tarp.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks Fire. My son and I truly appreciate your time yesterday and the valuable advice you gave us. I hope to have time to do the DIY tarp like yours sometime soon. I am going to buy good thread first.
    I suppose we could get by with adequately sized blue standard tarps for now but I see those over tractors, boats, rooster cages (yes, I live in the south and travel in the country a lot ) etc. I am far more valuable and worth an object and deserve proper, dignified protection .
    I wish my bank account agreed. I would go right out and buy one of the used tarps on the FS forum. So for now it is blue plastic.
    But as I told my son yesterday- when you invest more than just money into a task, when you take time to be methodical, careful, and when you enjoy putting things together and then using them, the enjoyment you get while they are in use is magnified.

-Sarge

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Cool day with the kiddo... I need to add some mid point tie outs to my ENO pro fly so i can tie I rock and stop the flap...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I was watching a rain shower from my living room window just last night. I was wishing that I was in the back yard under my tarp listening to the pitter patter. Thanks for the vicarious enjoyment!

Check out Chinook tarps. Really nice for the money. They aren't as cheap as the Wal-Mart ones, but pretty affordable. I feel your pain in the budget!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Brilliant! You sound a lot like me, especially when there is weather and a wife. I get that "look" a lot. It's pouring rain right now in Flagstaff and all I want to do is go out and set up my hammock.

Oh, and I love the fresh water cache. Nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    {...} when you invest more than just money into a task, when you take time to be methodical, careful, and when you enjoy putting things together and then using them, the enjoyment you get while they are in use is magnified {...}
    Heck-a-yah! I love working with my hands and creating things... even if it frustrates the heck out of me.
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    Heck-a-yah! I love working with my hands and creating things... even if it frustrates the heck out of me.
    LOL, I'm the same way, and I have especially little patience for some things. Lately, I've got the DIY stove bug and trying to get the freakin' halves of cans together drives me absolutely insane, but I love it anyway! LOL!

@Sarge: Sounds like an awesome day with your kid. Funny thing about kids, they may not always appreciate your "harassment" at the time (he obviously enjoyed it this time, though, haha), but it'll mean a lot to 'em later on. At least that's how I was/am.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast