Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mix and match or buy from one vendor?

I have been backpacking for many years but am totally new to hammock camping. I have no hammock gear what so ever. Before this, I always thought that choosing my backpack was the hardest equipment choice I had to make. Choosing hammock gear is much more difficult.

After reading these forums for a few months, I have noticed that most people seem to have a mix of different branded gear. My question is this, is it better to mix and match or go to one website and order everything from the same vendor.

For example, after doing tons of reading, I’m pretty sure I’m going to purchase a Blackbird Double Layer 1.7 hammock. If I go this route, why not just get everything here (tarp, UQ and TQ)? I could also do the same thing from Jacks R Better and other vendors.

Does anyone do this? I know that many people might not be able to purchase everything at once because of money restraints. What are your thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Picking and choosing allows the user to get the most from each vendor's perceived, or real, strengths. Not that I think you'd get a bad deal from buying at a one-stop shop. All of our vendors do a top-notch job. It really just boils down to what you need and who does the best job, in your mind, of making the piece of gear that fits that need.

I like options.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There main reason to get everything from a single vendor is the savings in shipping costs. However, sometimes a vendor doesn't offer something that you want. Ie a full length underquilt (which warbonnet doesn't offer). Other times there is savings to be had by ordering from multiple vendors even accounting for shipping costs.

In case you weren't aware Warbonnet offers discounts for ordering multiple items at the same time.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    A lot has to do with personal preference. Each company designs their gear a bit differently. This example isn't warbonnet but its something to think about. I personally like my underground quilts under quilt better than my hammock gear top quilt. The DWR is far superior. Also the way warbonnet makes their tarps is unique their ridge seam is sewn quite a bit differently than a Toxaway from AHE.
    For me the majority of my mix matched gear comes from ordering at different time and different sales/promotions. I have also bought gear, decided it didn't fit my needs, and turn around to sell it. Only to replace it with a piece from another vendor.

As a noob, I got all my kit from one seller. I emailed him for advice, and he was very helpful. I think it helped to get it from one place to start with, being a noob, as I didn't know about the alternatives, or much about the products. Now I have used the gear for a year, and I if I were to upgrade, I could pick and choose from different vendors... However I'd probably prefer still to get it from one guy, just out of pure ease. (and shipping costs).

You feel you know what you want, and you are able to buy from different vendors, go for it. The whole point of you being the consumer is that you have a choice!

Images
    its great that you CAN mix and match. i remember when the only quilt for the HH (bottom entry) was the JRB Nest some many options now. kind of mind boggling.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Most of the vendors you see here are very responsive. Unless you really know what you're looking for, I'd just contact one that has everything and tell them your needs and let them help you. I bet most of them will refer to other vendors for certain items depending on your needs, so you may end up with a variety anyway.

But keep in mind that they don't have customer service departments either, so responsiveness is relative, but still good.

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    The DWR is far superior

Maybe its just me but I find all of the abbreviations on this forum rather confusing. What does DWR stand for? I can't find anything on Underground Quilts' website that would fit those letters.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    The DWR is far superior

Maybe its just me but I find all of the abbreviations on this forum rather confusing. What does DWR stand for? I can't find anything on Underground Quilts' website that would fit those letters.
    DWR (durable water repellent) coating applied to fabric to make them water-resistant.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCRed View Post
    Maybe its just me but I find all of the abbreviations on this forum rather confusing.
    This will help:
    Hammock Acronyms
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast