Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie trying to keep it SUL...lil' help?

Hello Everyone,

Gram weenie here from http://www.backpackinglight.com looking to keep it SUL (<=5lbs base weight) for 3 season backpacking. I have a Grand Trunk Nano and a 9 x 7 CF tarp.

I was wondering if I coud get advise on a few questions...but first some details...

My hang calculator:

http://www.imageno.com/kxhdn66why97pic.html

What is the max distance between trees do you guys plan for in the NE?

I am going for 18 feet.

So I figure total Amsteel-blue w/ no ridgeline (will convert to Dynaglide over time, but pressed for time w/ a trip this Friday) will be:

18ft - 7.83 ft (length of hammock w/ sag) = 10.1667 / 2 (either side of hammock) = 5.08335 lengths of Amsteel on each end of hammock to attach to trees.

Then I need to account for the Amstee-blue I am going to wrap around the tree w/ sticks in between. I figure 3 foot circumference for trees in the NE so add 4 feet to be safe? Then we are up to 9 feet for the lengths of Amsteel connected to both ends of my hammock.

I want to use sticks in between the amsteel and the trees to keep them protected, but I'm unsure what knots to use.

When ground camping w/ a tarp I almost exclusively use a taut-line or adjustable grip hitch to keep tension on the tarp, but I have not tested if those knots will hold tension with my weight in the hammock. Any advice or experience with that?

(I'm not interested in Marlin hitchs, or whoopie slings, or UCRs, etc., I'd like to do this with knots if possible. I' m also pressed for time so knots are most familair to me.)

I'm also not sure how using sticks in between the Amsteel and the tree would not fall down. Unless my weight is in the hammock, there is no tension on the Amsteeel around the tree. Wouldn't the stick fall to the ground?
    If the sticks fail to protect the trees I'll look into the next heaviest option.

Thanks,

Bryce
    Last edited by Bster13; 07-31-2012 at 09:40.

BTW, here is some info on my 9 x 7 CF Tarp:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=54666

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Unfortunately, Amsteel (and other UHMWPE lines) don't hold knots particularly well.

However, if you're really wedded to the idea of using knots with it, the two that are recommended (admittedly, with other types of line) by two of the largest manufacturers of hammocks 'round here are the Hennessy lashing, backed by a pair of half-hitches, and the slipped buntline hitch. The first is recommended (surprise!) by Hennessy and the second by Warbonnet.

While I, personally, recommend (polyester) tree straps for use with the hammock (this has to do with perception of hammocking, which is something we've had trouble with in Florida until recently; do a search for "hammocking in FL state parks" if you want an earful), if you want to use the stick method, it might be worth putting a your quilts on/in the hammock (or your pad, whichever) before hanging it. That way, there's some weight on the lines running to the tree saver system.

If you plan on 3' diameter trees, 4' is probably a good length. It may (or may not, if my childhood memories of CT are correct) limit some of your site selection, but it won't be as bad as it would be in other portions of the country.

If you want a good look at the "state of the art" SUL hammockry, check out Sgt. Rock's Ghost Hammock. It's DIY and makes design compromises that some might not be comfortable with, but it certainly is the lightest design I am aware of right now.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the suggestions FLRider. I'll just have to try some of the adj. hitches in the backyard and see if they slip with me in the hammock.

A suggestion from a friend (duh):
    "I haven't done what you're trying to do, but it seems to me if you just use sticks that aren't nice and smooth, but instead have knots/smaller 'branches' coming off from them, you'd be able to 'hook' them onto the amsteel so they'd stay in place between the amsteel and the tree without the your weight against the amsteel."

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Bster13 - I use amsteel as well.. instead of fiddling with sticks - I use about a 12" a little more piece of pipe insulation foam that I cut in 1/2 horizontally - something that can wrap around the back of the tree and lay the amsteel on top of. both pieces total 5grams

Hammock
    Simply Light Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 8x10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoopies!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Bster13 - I use amsteel as well.. instead of fiddling with sticks - I use about a 12" a little more piece of pipe insulation foam that I cut in 1/2 horizontally - something that can wrap around the back of the tree and lay the amsteel on top of. both pieces total 5grams

Hmmm..... Hmmmmmmmm....

Ok, I definitely have some ideas for keeping the Amsteel from hurting the tree, but what do you guys think about the adjustable hitches? And if the slippery amsteel will hold with my weight? I figure this has been tested before...

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkunkApe View Post
    Hmmm..... Hmmmmmmmm....
    works well for me been using it for a while. amsteel tree huggers --> dutch biner to ---> whoopie (whoopie larks head to hammock)

or I just started to experiment with a very long whoopie around tree w/ dutch whoopie hook --> hooked to continuous loop that goes thru hammock channel. will take pics of that next time I set it up.

So if a friction / adjustable knot may not hold w/ slippery Amsteel, I guess I can make separate lashing out of Amsteel. It would just replace the wide, black webbing in this video, right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_wrRb03yjQ

But then how do you have any adjustability in the suspension to give your hammock more or less sag? (If you have to use a non-adjustable knot to attach to the lashing)

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    I am 230lbs and have no problem using Amstel with 5/3 Blake's hitch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast