Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    UG 0* FLIGHT JACK,
    Suspension
    Stock

Anticipation

Waiting for first hammock, Clark NX-250 with the Vertex fly. UPS tracking says it arrives today. New to hanging, looking for restful nights of sleep during multi day kayak paddling trips. I am more exited about learning to properly hang the hammock, with variations of suspensions, than sleeping in it. It all seemed simple and straight forward a week ago. For know using the stock suspension that comes with the NX-250 and the drip rings. I am 6'-0" tall at 195# and a side sleeper. Any suggestion on different types of suspensions, that would pack smaller, ease of use? Just any suggestions in general on hanging? Thanks Marty

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    I have a love/hate relationship with that feeling. Invariably it's mid week and I can't use it till the weekend

Enjoy it when you get there, my contribution for recommendation is to pay attention to what others say but figure out what works for you. Just because someone else does it, doesn't mean you have to.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    OK, I'll take a shot at this, tho my experience with the Clark is much less than many others.
    Keep in mind these are just my opinions only...
    Suspension - for space and weight savings whoopie slings are probably the best. You still need tree straps and adjustment is not all that much easier than some other methods. I am one of the minority who am not that fond of a whoopie sling suspension. For ease of use, web and buckles are hard to beat and they are their own tree straps. But they take up about the same space and weight as the stock suspension.
    For hanging - hang it - get in - close the zipper. If the zipper is hard to close at the finish you are strung to tight. If the netting is loose after being zipped closed, the hammock may be too loose (although you might find that more comfortable). Main thing is be sure you are not so tight you stress the netting - just go something less than that to find a comfortable hang for you.
    Then - after you find the right tension - get out, close the netting and storm shield, and take a look at the hammock. See how low the storm sheild droops towards the hammock sides and try to get that droop each time you hang. If the low part of the droop is midway between the hoops, you are nearly level. If the low part of the droop is at about the 1/3 way going down from the hoop at the head end, you are hung with the foot end elevated which is the preferred angle for most.
    There's so much more. I can't wait to hear others chime in.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Having that feeling too! HURRY UP AMAZON AND FEDEX!
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    OK, I'll take a shot at this, tho my experience with the Clark is much less than many others.
    Keep in mind these are just my opinions only...
    Suspension - for space and weight savings whoopie slings are probably the best. You still need tree straps and adjustment is not all that much easier than some other methods. I am one of the minority who am not that fond of a whoopie sling suspension. For ease of use, web and buckles are hard to beat and they are their own tree straps. But they take up about the same space and weight as the stock suspension.
    I have one with WS's that Stu made. He's a great guy and makes a great product. With the "new" system on my NX200, it won't work nearly so well, and I'm actually satisfied with the drip ring adjustment method.

NX 250 is a separate tarp, though, so you could us WS. If so, remember you can choke a WS down to about near nothing, but it's harder to make them longer

For hanging - hang it - get in - close the zipper. If the zipper is hard to close at the finish you are strung to tight. If the netting is loose after being zipped closed, the hammock may be too loose (although you might find that more comfortable). Main thing is be sure you are not so tight you stress the netting - just go something less than that to find a comfortable hang for you.
    Not sure if this is true with the NX250. DemostiX probably could comment better. It's true with the NA/NX200/Tropical versions though.

Then - after you find the right tension - get out, close the netting and storm shield, and take a look at the hammock. See how low the storm sheild droops towards the hammock sides and try to get that droop each time you hang. If the low part of the droop is midway between the hoops, you are nearly level. If the low part of the droop is at about the 1/3 way going down from the hoop at the head end, you are hung with the foot end elevated which is the preferred angle for most.
    The foot elevated thing is really important with the bed fabric Clark uses. It's awesome to have mosquito proof fabric, it's also pretty slippery. You'll know if you don't do this, and you'll not do it again. It's not a cause of imminent death, just not comfortable and you'll be loving the pull loop at the head as you'll need it.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    When I saw the thread title, all I thought of was this:

http://youtu.be/MeX5vbk8aoA

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The single change I'd make to all Clarks -- I have enough of them -- is to tie a short piece of adjustable ultra-lightweight elastic / shock cord between the peak of each hood and the near end of the hammock. That way, your netting doesn't have to droop whatever way you hold it up, including a straight, vertical hang from a ridgeline. A feel-good DIY reversible customization. In this pic the elastic cord is in the center. Its effective length and so the elastic tension is adjusted between thumb and forefinger by two any-idiot-can-make-them-but-only-a-careless-person-will-not-look-up-the-correct-spelling prusik knots tied in loops of waxed thread. They slide and grip the elastic. (Only one is necessary, but I use two because Rip Waverly would likely do it that way, and he is far ahead of me in the woods.)

Value and ventilation increases for me when the bug net is well away from my face, no matter how I turn.

If you can't zip up the bug net pretty easily, you are so away from the maximum comfort zone, you should put more sag in the hang.

OP is new: Past posts should be perused.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-05-2012 at 12:02.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    UG 0* FLIGHT JACK,
    Suspension
    Stock

Four nights of hanging

Two nights in the trees in the back yard and two at the Oregon coast. Already switched out the stock polypropylene rope, to webbing, cage carabiners and SMC descenders. Great to have the tree strap and suspension in one. Also much easier to make adjustments for the newbie than the rope. Which seemed to have quite a bit of stretch to it also. Passinthru great suggestion to use the webbing. Will like using the visual in the bug netting sag in the front third. Have set up the Vertex fly, took it down after the first night. Weather in the NW has been warm and dry. Thinking of using a ridge line underneath the fly light weight storage. Suggestions on which cord/rope is best for such use. Demostix vertical hang, cannot wait to try that one. Will be checking out the stretch cord with the cord attached to the end of the hammock. Is there a possible solution if a spreader bar breaks or discovered that it was left behind?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    T Is there a possible solution if a spreader bar breaks or discovered that it was left behind?
    Clark is fair and reasonable in pricing replacements. Don't know what shipping does to that. But, I've posted my fav, from Harbor Freight here. Examples are shown in some of my pics. Such as this one: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...8/p6190045.jpg . Advantage is in breaking down to 4 13 inch sections instead of 3 17" ones. Do a search here with these words:
    harbor freight fiberglass
    to find others' uses for the rods.

Following up, I see price has doubled on the 39" rods. You would want the 11 12" ones in kit Item #65327 instead.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-07-2012 at 23:16.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
    Suggestions on which cord/rope is best for such use.
    1.75mm zing it or "lash it" if you want to match the clark color scheme and use grey. Same thing, just different colors.

I never had an issue with rope stretch with the stock ropes, probably more knot looseness is the issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast