Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy

Hangers in Utah???

Okay, Really trying to get into the hammock life. Been looking and looking for some time now. I believe that I have settled on a Hennessy. Now to my questions. I will mostly be car camping for some time. Never been much of a backpacker since my scouting days, but who know if that will change? I just can't seem to decide on a specific hammock. I'm thinking the explorer Deluxe for now. Weight shouldn't be any issue for now since it's not being packed around. Wondering if anyone in Utah or similar climates has any suggestions/opinions.
    Also does REI let you try a hammock in the store before you purchase??? I would like to try some different hammocks out before I bite the bullet on a purchase. Just nervous of buyers remorse. Also the store is and hour and a half away so don't want to drive all that way for them to tell me "sorry but no."

Any info is welcome, good or bad. No worries about speaking your mind and offending me.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    There are several hangers in Utah, including MicMuse. I'm sure you can find some folks who'd be willing to let you try a few before you buy.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner/DoubleNest/DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/Noah's
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/Tog
    Hanger from Utah County here...
    To the REI question...I am in one of the two REI stores in Salt Lake about once a month(it's a bit of an addiction, almost as bad as HF). The only hammocks I have ever seen in-store, are ENO and Byer. They advertise Hennessy on the website, but I have never seen one in the stores. As to the "trying out" thing...they don't have a set up that would allow you to hang one up and lay in it. That being said, REI has about the best satisfaction guarantee out there. Buy one, if it doesn't work for you they will return it. Now, from personal experience...and this is only my humble and PERSONAL opinion... I own two ENO DN hammocks, and have owned a Hennessy Explorer Zip. I love my ENO hammocks, both fully modified of course. They just fit me. They are simple, comfortable, durable, and multifunctional. The Hennessy I tried was short lived for me. It just didn't fit me. Lot's of cool bells and whistles, but if you can't sleep comfortably in it, what's the point? Again, that's just me. Tons of people LOVE their Hennessys. I also didn't care for the ALL-IN-ONE idea. I like to customize my gear to fit the journey I'm currently undertaking. That's the nice thing about a simple gathered-end hammock. Why pack for the jungle, if you're only going in the back yard? Anyway...my two cents. If there's anything I can do to help PM me. HYOH!
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the places I cannot hang,
    Courage to hang in the places I can, (but probably shouldn’t)
    And wisdom to know the difference."

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Thanks for the info! I was actually looking at picking up an ENO DoubleNest today and trying that out for the rest of the year. That way I will have something to play with and if I really can't get over my Hennessy fixation I could look at the winter deals. I'll probably add a ridge line to keep the comfort constant. Any suggestions on a cord for the ridge line?
    One day I might try a DIY hammock. Haven't even seen a sewing machine since Jr. High. I'll need to brush up my skills first, and buy a machine...

Hammock
    RidgeRunner/DoubleNest/DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/Noah's
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/Tog
    There are posts all over HF on ENO mods. For a ridge-line, I'd go straight for Dynaglide, Zing-It or Amsteel. To be able to dial in your lay, you don't want ANY stretch. You'll be surprised how much difference a one or two inch adjustment can make, and if your ridge-line is stretching, you'll have a hard time finding the sweet-spot. I currently have an Amsteel ridge-line on one ENO DN, and a Zing-It ridge-line on the other. Both have a bury and fixed eye, basically a Whoopie for a ridge-line. That way they are easy to adjust. I get most of my cordage from Redden Marine online. Great prices/Fast shipping. If your not up to building your own(it really is incredibly easy), Arrowhead Equipment has a great sale going through the 10th on a complete Whoopie and toggle suspension set. They also sell pre-made adjustable ridge-lines and Paul is just an awesome guy. If you buy your ENO at REI, don't be tempted by the slap straps for suspension. They really are the biggest joke ENO ever made. You'll wake up laying in the dirt. As for ENO mods: I removed the heavy cord and caribiners and replaced them with a continuous loop of Amsteel on each end; Attached different color Whoopies to each end(makes is easy to tell head from foot end in a hurry); I use tree straps and toggles for tree protection; I removed that stupid strap and buckle from the bag; and added adjustable ridge-lines. I am really happy with the system so far. Some people remove the bag completely to save weight, but it just too handy to have in my opinion. Great place to empty your pockets etc. I'm not sure how new you are, but if you haven't watch all of Shug's Hammock How-To videos, do. They are a wealth of knowledge, and he is just flat goofy! Also, pick up the Ultimate Hang book, it really is a great resource. Hope this all helps. Good luck with the new adventure!
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the places I cannot hang,
    Courage to hang in the places I can, (but probably shouldn’t)
    And wisdom to know the difference."

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Meadiocre,
    I had a Hennessy and it worked for a few months. After a little field testing, I found others that were more comfortable to me.
    I can help you sample a couple hammocks. I have a couple different tarps to play with too. I will be at Strawberry Res looking for some tagged fish over the next couple weekends. (My weekend is Sun-Tues.)
    If you can make it up there, we can look at some setup options. If you would prefer a different location, let me know and I will see what I can do. (Mirror Lake Hwy was a good location a few days ago.)
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Quote Originally Posted by hangout View Post
    To the REI question...I am in one of the two REI stores in Salt Lake about once a month(it's a bit of an addiction, almost as bad as HF). The only hammocks I have ever seen in-store, are ENO and Byer. They advertise Hennessy on the website, but I have never seen one in the stores.
    I bought my HH UL Backpacker Asym Zip at the SLC REI a few months ago. I had actually checked the Sandy store (smaller), they didnt have it but verified that the SLC store had it on the shelf. Maybe they dont stock a notable volume of HH's in the store? They do carry them at least from time to time.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Hennessy A-sym/Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Thanks a ton to all the ideas. I'm in Chicago this weekend and just so happen to drive right by a REI. All they had was the ENO. I was looking at arrows premade ridgeline and thinking this would be a great idea for a start into this "addiction". I can see this getting out of hand in a big hurry. Need to pace myself. This forum is a very bad double edge sword. Great ideas that I want to do, try and buy. But need to keep my wallet full, for now anyway.

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Just an FYI:

Clark Jungle Hammock is in Salt Lake City. Contact 'em, maybe they'll let you do some test hanging.

Sportsman's Warehouse carries the Grand Trunk hammocks.

Recreational Outlet (one's down here in Utah Valley, I know there's some others around) carry both ENO and Grand Trunk.

I'm trying to put together a modest hang in 3 weeks here in Northern Utah.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/Hennessy EXP
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Hey Utah Hangers!!

I want to do a trip for spring break down south. Any suggestions as to where might be the best? I am taking my buddy on his firs hang!

• + New Posts