Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nope - the Air Core Plus isn't stiff at all, though. That might have something to do with it. But I've used it on two hammocks and haven't noticed any wear to speak of.

I did get some wear on the supports from the Air Core 2 (really really thin stuff) that I was using for the ridgeline. I don't use that anymore...probably good for tarp tie-outs but too thin for ridgelines and not strong enough for hammock supports.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I remember seeing another thread where the support rope wore a hole in the hammock body. I think the pic in in the gallery somewhere.

Also, you may add a piece of webbing under the whipping like what is shown in Hogn8r's through the whip suspension. That may hep to protect the hammock body.

EDIT: The pic with hole in the hammock body is in the thread link to above.
    Thanks for the link. I forgot about that. It was in my dark days before all my DIY binging.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Nope - the Air Core Plus isn't stiff at all, though. That might have something to do with it. But I've used it on two hammocks and haven't noticed any wear to speak of.

I did get some wear on the supports from the Air Core 2 (really really thin stuff) that I was using for the ridgeline. I don't use that anymore...probably good for tarp tie-outs but too thin for ridgelines and not strong enough for hammock supports.
    I think you guys hit it pretty well. I think the stuff I am using is way to stiff. I think using a different knot will cause the same result where the force from the rope meets the material.

I am going to try to the option of putting the webbing into the whipping. This way the force will be distributed throughout the whipping instead one spot. I usually wrap the whipping around 10 times, so ideally that will give each loop 1/10 the force. I'll give it a try and let everyone know.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not convinced on the stiffness issue. Like I said, I've been using the stock 1/8" HH Spectra (VERY stiff) all along with no problems. I think it's more likely a combination of the cord diameter and the hammock material. JMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not convinced on the stiffness issue. Like I said, I've been using the stock 1/8" HH Spectra (VERY stiff) all along with no problems. I think it's more likely a combination of the cord diameter and the hammock material. JMO.
    I'll give you the hammock material. I'm starting to question it's durability over the long run. I am starting to think about going back to 1.9 oz to make sure I have something that will hold up for 180 nights in a row. I think this stuff would hold up for awhile though.

I have the spectra I cut off of my HH. Maybe I'll give it a try.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I'll give you the hammock material. I'm starting to question it's durability over the long run. I am starting to think about going back to 1.9 oz to make sure I have something that will hold up for 180 nights in a row. I think this stuff would hold up for awhile though.

I have the spectra I cut off of my HH. Maybe I'll give it a try.
    You could try the stuff I just got too - 1/8" Spyderline from APS. 10' weighs ~ .6 oz. It seems to hold a knot just as well as the HH Spectra, but it's pretty flexible and easier to work with. I haven't tested it that much, but NCPatrick has some on his new Speer-type so we'll see how it holds up. I use their lighter stuff for my ridgeline and it's worked great.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I think using a different knot will cause the same result where the force from the rope meets the material.
    If your knot was putting a lot of force on one spot, where the knot rubs on the material or something, maybe a sheetbend will help...it doesn't have one single concentrated friction point like some other knots do.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    i don't know but the more i think about the stiffness thing... i'm thinking that the stiffer/more rigid rope would be more likely to allow the hammock to rotate inside the loop, when you swing back & forth.
    but maybe the softer rope would just grip the hammock tightly & flex as you swing. ??? just a thought.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i don't know but the more i think about the stiffness thing... i'm thinking that the stiffer/more rigid rope would be more likely to allow the hammock to rotate inside the loop, when you swing back & forth.
    but maybe the softer rope would just grip the hammock tightly & flex as you swing. ??? just a thought.
    Oh yeah - it's definitely possible. I'm just remarking on my experience with the Hennessy stuff, which IMO is about the stiffest cord imaginable for the size. That's what I was using at Rogers too, btw - swinging back and forth was definitely an ongoing theme up there!

I agree with teblum, a sheetbend works fine, but if your line is slippery, wrap it around twice for a double sheet bend. This has worked for me using both braided spectra and polypro webbing. With raw spectra, definitely use the double sheetbend. My hammock is 1.1 oz ripstop and I weigh 210. My current hammock has 28 nights on the clock.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is that 1.1 oz a single or double layer?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast