Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Couple of questions about full UQ's

I am looking at getting a full length UQ (Incubator mainly) I already have a phoenix but my feet get cold w/o a pad and with a pad it's too uncomfortable.
    I was wondering if a full length UQ would eliminate the need for a pad? also what would be the minimum length I could get away with. I'm 5'7" and 170, I have a WBBB so I would like it to fit over the foot box well.

Thanks

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ReXwag View Post
    I am looking at getting a full length UQ (Incubator mainly) I already have a phoenix but my feet get cold w/o a pad and with a pad it's too uncomfortable.
    I was wondering if a full length UQ would eliminate the need for a pad? also what would be the minimum length I could get away with. I'm 5'7" and 170, I have a WBBB so I would like it to fit over the foot box well.

Thanks
    No need for a pad. Get a full length incubator, you will never regret it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    My wife and I both use WBBBs. She has an Incubator 0Degree and I am saving to buy one as well. She absolutely loves hers and never complains about being cold. I had a 3/4 underquilt and was always either cool on my left shoulder or on my feet. The Incubator fits over the Black Bird and looks great as well.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I had a couple of 2/3-3/4 UQs and I was plenty warm for most of 3 seasons, but in the winter my feet got cold. So I went and got a full length UQ....I couldn't be more happy with it! I am finding it hard to justify a 3/4 UQ after the simplicity, comfort, and warmth of the full length. There is just no more fiddle factor.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    You shouldn't need a foot pad with an Incubator and the stock length should be plenty long enough for you.

I get along pretty well with partial length under quilts but prefer the full length for my 0* rated setup. When I'm out in single digits of below I still take my down mocs and a pad for my rear end just in case.

David

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I just recently purchased a phoenix and a 0* 3/4 from Lukesteg and in the single digits I plan to use a Mac Sock and down booties to stay warm. I never thought I would hammock camp in winter, but it sure is nicer than hanging in this miserable SC heat.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I'm getting an 0* Incubator for the winter, but for 3 season I'll always use my Phoenix. Even in late fall/early spring I will still use the Phoenix because I have some Feathered Friend down booties that work flawlessly.

It just comes down to personal preference, people can only give you their experiences. I have found hammocking to be very personal. What works great for one person might be terrible for the next. Good luck!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    reXwagg, just curious about your pad use. Were you keeping the pad on the outside of your top quilt and trying to keep your legs/feet and the top quilt on top of the pad?
    You can't go wrong with a FLUQ (except for added weight) but a lot of us cut the pad to fit inside the sewn (or button) footbox of the TQ and that solves a lot of problems.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have a 40° Incubator and it fits perfect on the Blackbird. I'm 5'9" and there's a couple inches above my head and just a tad below by feet. It's a really nice fit and I don't think I could mess with a pad under my feet - it's nice to move around and change positions with only one piece of insulation to worry about (actually, nothing to worry about!) I still wear heavy wool socks if it's in the 30's, possibly even down booties since my feet are the first to get cold.

reXwagg, just curious about your pad use. Were you keeping the pad on the outside of your top quilt and trying to keep your legs/feet and the top quilt on top of the pad?
    You can't go wrong with a FLUQ (except for added weight) but a lot of us cut the pad to fit inside the sewn (or button) footbox of the TQ and that solves a lot of problems.
    I use a thinlight pad from Gossamergear.com cut down to fit inside my sewn footbox of my TQ. The pad scrunches up so much that it just gets uncomfortable, I also move my feet a lot and I end up having to adjust the pad.

Thanks for the replies, I like reading about your experiences.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast