Wilderness logics Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock cuben tarp
    Insulation
    phoenix 20 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings,

Question Snake Skins

Looking for recommendations on snake skins for a cuben fiber tarp?

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I recently saw DIY skins for a cuben fiber tarp made from noseeum netting. Worked great, was light, and allowed some ventilation for the tarp.
    Of course, one could make them from cuben fiber as well.
    As far as commercially available stuff, I don't know.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Commercial "snake skins" are not likely to be found other than the Hennessy model. Tom Hennessy claims patent protection for that product. (Not sure how adamantly he enforces it.) There are similar items available commercially but the probably the easiest thing to do is grab some cheap fabric or "fashion tulle" from Joannes and make your own. They are quite easy to do.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

taken from another thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nu2hike
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I talked to Adam about how to store & he suggests that you don't stuff the tarp as you would with silnylon! He recommends folding instead!
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon

I had talked to Jenny and she told me the same thing. Unfortunately I put them in some mesh snake skins (like you did) and it doesn't do as good in them as silnylon tarps. Lets just say trying to fold them back to fit into the stuff sack could be a 2 person job
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    taken from another thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nu2hike
    Thanks everyone! Great ideas! I talked to Adam about how to store & he suggests that you don't stuff the tarp as you would with silnylon! He recommends folding instead!
    Also he doesn't use snake skins either! I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon

I had talked to Jenny and she told me the same thing. Unfortunately I put them in some mesh snake skins (like you did) and it doesn't do as good in them as silnylon tarps. Lets just say trying to fold them back to fit into the stuff sack could be a 2 person job
    I made some out of mesh for my CF tarp and haven't had any problems with it. I put a long twist tie, like comes off of toy packaging, in the hem of the wide ends to help it slide over. And I haven't had any trouble getting it back into the stuff sack either. Maybe I have a bigger than necessary stuff sack though. What was the reason they gave for folding and not using skins? I'd sure hate to ruin my tarp for the convenience of skins.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Contact Mountaingoat. She'll make you any type of skin you need for any tarp or hammock. 25 bucks or so, depending on number of pockets and whatnot.

Also pick up one of her mesh backpack pockets, if your current pack doesn't have one. Perfect for stowing that damp tarp in those new skins

Need a great hat? Order one of those too. One of a kind handmade from only the best softest warmest stuff she can find.

Might as well add one of her RL organizers, and get it over with in one trip. Save on shipping

Caution! I believe she may have a link on her site to Dutchware. Be very afraid for your pocketbook!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Strange... cos I switched back to snakeskins with my Winter Palace Cuben.

Jenny redirected me to Hennessy site and on Adam's advise it would be size #4 ....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I tried the mesh ones I have & found it to be awkward to slide them over the CF! There seems to be more drag than with silnylon . . . .

I had talked to Jenny and she told me the same thing. Unfortunately I put them in some mesh snake skins (like you did) and it doesn't do as good in them as silnylon tarps . . .
    I had same problem with net skins on my tarps. They don't seem to slide as well as skins made of sil. I noticed on my JRB python skins that JRB had inserted cable ties in the hem of the wide ends that create an open circle that help the skins stay open and give you something to hold on to when sliding the skins. I put cable ties (purchased at Lowes) in the hem of my net skins, but haven't used them enough to form an opinion yet. I'll play around with them some more and post pictures if they work better with the cable ties.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor
    Tarp
    OES MACCAT ULTRA
    Suspension
    All-in-one whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Contact Mountaingoat. She'll make you any type of skin you need for any tarp or hammock. 25 bucks or so, depending on number of pockets and whatnot.

Also pick up one of her mesh backpack pockets, if your current pack doesn't have one. Perfect for stowing that damp tarp in those new skins

Need a great hat? Order one of those too. One of a kind handmade from only the best softest warmest stuff she can find.

Might as well add one of her RL organizers, and get it over with in one trip. Save on shipping

Caution! I believe she may have a link on her site to Dutchware. Be very afraid for your pocketbook!
    There a website?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast