Thread: Pertex 5

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    DIY whoppie slings

Pertex 5

Is this material any good for the inside of a underquilt and top quilt. This is a link were I can get it
    http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/pro...t3ghc695g1aac0
    or will this be better
    http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/pro...t3ghc695g1aac0
    Thanks

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DD
    Suspension
    DIY whoppie slings
    still no answer yet then haha

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I only know what I've heard, but the word is that Pertex has a wonderful feel to it. I'd say go with either. My only concern is that the description of the blue pertex 5 doesn't mention downproofness. A call might be able to find out.

Best of luck with the projects from the other side of the pond.
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 D
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex 70D
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    We know very little about it as our supplier told us it was a one off special.

If the supplier knows little about the material, how could any of the forum members know anything about it?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

How could you know?

Yes, how does anyone know for sure about any of the fabrics for a particular purpose unless performance has been verified?

I say that because there are several fabrics touted here and elsewhere which in some incarnation did not prove to perform as the seller and buyer expected. This has resulted in appropriate caution from some retailers. For example, the supplier verifies that the fabric is "down proof" for 850fp down, but there is no guarantee for lesser down. The RainShed, another outdoor fabric supplier, cautions that down proofness is no proof that the same fabric will not permit the fibers of this or that preferred synthetic fill to poke through.

WARNING: It CAN NOT be assumed that fabrics identified as “down proof by construction” will be satisfactory for use with PrimaLoft® insulation. Albany International Corp. disclaims any responsibility for fiber migration problems, including any that are not identified using the above testing guidelines. All customers should test all proposed fabric and insulation combinations using these or other methods in order to determine suitability.

And they go on to give recommendations for screening and testing for Primaloft(tm) as an example.

In the manufacturing world, testing for the particular application is part of 'gearing up', finding out what the limitations of the fabric are before adding value to it at some cost. A guarantee from the supplier is or should be worth something.

Then, there are performances that are a little soft. I read and can see that fussy people would complain about the Pertex used by Western Mountaineering (WM). I pull back through a few tufts (of millions?) each time I use one their SBs. I read in forums complaints about that as though WM were selling spreads made with equipment unwashed since it ground peanuts and tree nuts. I'm not so fussy, blessed to be without down alergies.

All that said, there are clues. The fabric is Pertex. If it is calendered --with a post-weaving shiny finish on one side -- then that finish is associated with down proofness. Then again, calendering seems to be associated, too, with wind-proofness.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-02-2012 at 17:13.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Try DIY gear supply they have everything you need
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I have a down pullover made of Pertex and 850FP...very light, very warm. It seems to shed moisture well. I got rained on a little bit on one outing and it didn't seem to bog me down at all. I think it would make an excellent shell for a quilt with the proper care due ultra light fabrics.

• + New Posts