Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Alpine Hammock on Kickstarter

Hello Hammock Enthusiasts!

My name is Mike and me and my partner Ryan have designed what we're calling the "Alpine Hammock". It's essentially a hammock/bivy with a built-in, zip-on bug net and rainfly. We did most of our research through these forums so they've been incredibly helpful to our project. This thread is to an attempt to get feedback on our Kickstarter page (crowd funding platform) as well as feedback on our design, rewards structure, and anything else you feel like mentioning, we just want to start a conversation. Check it out here and share it with your outdoorsy friends:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...alpine-hammock

After having seen the video, project description, and rewards structure, do you have any comments? Are there any threads deep within the forums that we should know about? We've found a plethera of threads on this topic but feel free to send one along. Every bit of constructive criticism will help us design a better product. We are not yet a company and not yet selling these items outside of the rewards on Kickstarter so we didn't see it fit to put this thread in the vendors section of the website because as of now, it's still just a project.

We both studied engineering at Tufts University, we're based in Boston, and we're totally stoked on hammock design.

Peace, love, and hammocks,

Mike and Ryan

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    So the hammock material is waterproof, if I read the specs correctly.
    That's great for a ground bivy sack but bad for a hammock. I realize there isn't much of a middle ground there.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Great introduction. Good luck on your product.

Hammock
    DangerBird Clark North American
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles/Link
    Best of luck with this project.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm following you guys on Twitter and FB. In the other thread you can see some of my comments and suggestions.

I mean them in the most constructive way possible. The fact that you guys are doing this at such a young age is very impressive. The best part of being young is not having old thinking holding you back.

Don't listen to those of us who might say "It'll never work."

I'd be happy to chime in with advice if you need any - my specialty is design/marketing/web design.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Just a suggestion - use the ring thing or something to suspend the bugnet OFF YOUR PERSON! I don't know about Alpine mosquitos but Minnesota mosquitos aren't fooled by bugnet, if they can poke you through it, or hammock fabric, or bluejeans, socks, you name it, they're gonna feast on you wherever the netting comes close enough to reach you! It would also serve to provide some "space" for the more claustrophobic among us.

Great idea! I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback from the early testers!

PS What's your company name? I'd sure be putting that money in to a corporation and not your own pockets. S Corps will tax you personally on the company earnings, so consider other corporate structures. (get legal advise) IRS is rather like mosquitos, they'll get you any way they can, they outnumber you and never ever give up!

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJJ View Post
    Just a suggestion - use the ring thing or something to suspend the bugnet OFF YOUR PERSON! I don't know about Alpine mosquitos but Minnesota mosquitos aren't fooled by bugnet, if they can poke you through it, or hammock fabric, or bluejeans, socks, you name it, they're gonna feast on you wherever the netting comes close enough to reach you! It would also serve to provide some "space" for the more claustrophobic among us.
    Alaska mosquitos would just cut through the bug net, punch you a few times, and possibly take off still carrying your hammock. They are gangster like that.

Good news is you can shoot them down with a bazooka.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    So, if I pledge $2,000 I get a guided trip in New England, and it will only cost an extra $15 to "ship" me there?

Looks pretty nice. The only feedback I can offer at the moment (apart maybe from some less ambiguous wording - see my cheap shot above ) is that you could show how the bug net (and rainfly) are kept off your face. The video shows a couple of "zipping up" sequences, but it doesn't show how the net stays off your face. I guess from the fully set-up pics that the little tent pole in the top does that job, but I don't see how it would be done by an occupant.

Nice work, and good luck!
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I have a question. If you're in a real frog-strangler downpour and you want to get out of the hammock to relieve yourself, how do you do it with out it filling up with water?

Best of luck to you guys.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

My concern is condensation build up inside the hammock. The volume of this in cold weather is incredible.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast