Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    All I ever do is boil water on the trail...can't wait to see someone BAKE something!

Can't wait!!

Commit your ways to the LORD and He shall direct your path
    (Proverbs 3:5) ........which is good, because I like to walk down lots of paths.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Yes, me too! Actually it doesn't even have to be baking. If someone makes something besides adding hot water to a commercial dehydrated meal -- that would be cool too. Show off your favorite meal. A taste testing of any favorite meal would be quite fun. You could hand out recipe cards.

OK, I'm going to officially change this to Trail Baking Demonstrations and Favorite Meal Tastings - 1 PM at Pavilion.. Baking will be just one part of it and this way I think it will up the number of people participating.

I'd love to see different techniques for making egg breakfasts.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 09-17-2012 at 11:17.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    Is going from around the Lynchburg area that i could hitch a ride with?? i would really appreciate it.
    -Dan
    Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Proverbs 17:28

Custom hammocks...cottage industry...endless options
    http://www.wix.com/dandeman94/dandemanhammocks
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dandem...10535562357869

Action sport photography.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trik-M...39451409426834

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3 Season
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Maybe I should have asked this last time before I attended the last Hang in Pine Grove furnace. Are singles and newbies welcome? I just didn't get the Warm and Fuzzies last time at PGFSP which was the opposite from what I expected based on the chatter here. I packed up and left shortly after nightfall. This is not a criticism of the event. I just felt like I was intruding on a family reunion and I wasn't family.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Atreus,

The MAHHA has been going on for quite a few years now and it certainly has that "Family Reunion" component. Especially the first night. So I can understand your feeling but if you stay into the weekend, I think you might get a different vibe.

If you look at the sign-up sheet lots of people are coming as singles. Me included since my husband doesn't camp unless there's fishing involved!

We do try to have a few "organized" activities that I think helps newbies assimilate. We do the "house tours" of different setups Saturday morning where new people can see different types of hammocks without having to feel awkward about asking to see private setups. There's gonna be the trail baking demonstrations. You can participate and bring your favorite meal or show up and yak it up with everyone there.

The Saturday potluck and raffle will probably be another event that has the Family Reunion feel to it, so be prepared if you do come for the weekend.

I have a core group of hiking friends that met at the first few MAHHAs. Our curent MAHHA complaint is that we don't get to spend enough time together because there's always so many new and interesting people to meet. So we've started hiking together at other times so we can continue to meet newbies at this event.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Not intentional

Quote Originally Posted by Atreus View Post
    Maybe I should have asked this last time before I attended the last Hang in Pine Grove furnace. Are singles and newbies welcome? I just didn't get the Warm and Fuzzies last time at PGFSP which was the opposite from what I expected based on the chatter here. I packed up and left shortly after nightfall. This is not a criticism of the event. I just felt like I was intruding on a family reunion and I wasn't family.
    Not intentional to ignore you. I was a tiny bit on the outside edge of my first MAHHA too. It didn't take long tiil talk of gear got me going. We have our equipment and love of the outdoors in common. There are certain friends at the MAHHA that we will try to catch up with and all of us are guilty of acting like one big family. Real sorry you weren't warmed and fuzzied all up. Try it again in the daytime.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreus View Post
    It can definately be a little intimidating at first, but if you revel in your "newness", it helps break the ice. My first (and only) fall MAHHA was two years ago about a month after I decided to try hammocking. I'm a DIYer and cobbed together all my gear and headed out. I was "chosen" to show off my gear as an example of what are the basics you need and that you don't have to spend a lot of money to start out and have fun. Since then, I've built more and better gear, but plan on bringing a picture of what I had so people can once again, see you can hang without fancy equipment. I asked a ton of questions from the veterans and had a blast. I think if you give it another try, you'll have a better experience. My wife is actually kicking me out of the house for the weekend because I keep talking about how I really want/need to get back into the woods, so I'll be flying solo. Hope to see you there!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I was shy at my first MAHHA, too. Participating in one of the workshops helped, but the big thing is to remember how much you have in common with everybody else. Go up to people and talk to them like you know them.

How about this? Set your stove up to cook near one of the campfire groups, but don't take any matches or a lighter with you. Better still, once you've borrowed a source of fire, have trouble getting your stove lit. No matter what kind of stove you have, there will be four or five volunteers to help you.

Variation: have trouble hanging your tarp or hammock. Be sure you're hanging near others. (Do that anyway).
    Last edited by WV; 09-18-2012 at 10:36.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Bring a coffee can and try to get a fire going in it. Then ask WV for help, the man can get a fire going on top of water.

Everyone is right, it may feel awkward at first like nobody is paying attention to you. But you have to realize, if no one knows you, they cannot introduce you. We also usually have a little introduction around the fires at night. Everyone setting around gets to tell you a name, real or not, and any other information you care to share. Just keep in mind, some things are meant to be kept to yourself.

I myself don't like large crowds and the MAHHA was a bit of a shock for me. But I realized as a few have said already, these people all love the same thing. Makes it much better, but I still have a hard time committing to the larger hangs no matter what. It's not that I'm shy, just large crowds.

Maybe see ya there.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    This will be my first MAHHA too and I'm not a "walk up to people kinda guy".
    To compensate for my social akwardness, I was hoping to hang up a couple smurfy projects and get in on HappyCamper's tour. That way folks have a reason to chat with me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast