Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware

Smile To steal a line from another new member...

I am not even a n00b yet...probably a "pre-n00b"! I have no hammock, suspensions, etc., but have been lurking around this site for the past week or so after having pretty much decided I wanted to plunge (no pun intended) into the world of hangers. I am recently retired ...OK, OK, I lost my job , but my lovely wife decided I should just retire. As she is a good bit younger than me, I am now enjoying my status as a "kept man"! I highly recommend this!

I have enjoyed back-packing sporadically since I was in Scouts many, many years ago. My lovely spouse and I did a little section of the AT about 5 years ago and have done a few trails around So. Indiana, but have mostly camped in a pop-up with her kids and now have a large travel trailer that we enjoy sharing with friends. We were sharing that trailer with some friends a month or so ago and did some hiking in Red River Gorge (KY) and I realized how much I missed it all.

So...I decided I needed a new daypack for future hikes and some new footwear; during my research I ran across this forum...lucky me! I have a lot of stuff from my earlier back-packing days...little of it UL, but much still with a useful life. My plan is to begin with some dayhikes to build myself up further. We haven't back-packed in a while due to my relatively poor physical condition. However, I have lost 10 lbs. since I "retired" ( again!) and we have now been going to the local YMCA for a couple of months, so I am getting stronger. I have already warned my kind spouse about this new direction and she is at least very open to it, so we'll see. She likes back-packing because of the exercise, the vistas and I feed her some darn good food! Please note that in out 53 miles in 5 days on the AT, we didn't lose a single pound...hard fo us to believe!

While reviewing my equipment for the "10 essentials" I realised that I didn't have a suitable tarp. So...after much research and consideration...thank you all of you that have at some time posted about the merits of the Mamajama, the MacCat, the Tadpole, etc... I ordered a Toxaway yesterday. Price on sale seemed too good to be true and it seemed to fit all that I was planning for it. Now on my dayhikes, I can play with set-ups, etc. and try to figure the best way for me to rig it.

I have a good idea of what I want in a hammock, but am not yet ready to commit...want to see how the knot-tieing, etc. goes with the tarp. Tieing knots was NOT one of my core competencies in Scouts ...I still only get a square knot right about 1/2 of the time! LOL!

Anyway I am excited to join this community and hope that I can be of service to someone else down the road.
    Andy...

"...if Shug didn't make you do it, then it's Dutch's fault!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.
    The only knots I have anywhere in my hammock setup are prusik knots (which don't have to be tied each time, just the first time), marlin spike hitch for my guyline tie-outs, and larksheads. I also use slippery half-hitches for temporary solutions - dirt simple.

You'll hear from people who love strap suspensions (heavy as they are), some who love whoopie slings. I'm a whoopie sling/Dutch Whoopie hook/tree strap guy. No knots whatsoever in my suspension (except for aforementioned larkshead).

As for tarp suspension, I use Dutch tarp flyz and Dutch hooks. The only knots are the prusiks that attach my tarp to my ridgeline, allowing me to center it.

Knots are easy to avoid in your hammock setup. I hate knots, especially since they derate the rope, are sometimes hard to do with cold fingers, etc.

Just say no to knots. Embrace Amsteel Blue, Dynaglide and Zing-it - learn how to splice whoopie slings, continuous loops, soft shackles, soft shackle prusiks, etc. You'll probably have more fun splicing than you do hiking!

Enjoy.

welcome to HF you former lurker... congrats (?) on the newly found freedom - and your new 'status' "Junior Member'
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware

Many thanks, SilvrSurfr

I was hoping that I could say 'no to knots'! My reading has just about convinced me that the set-up you use for both suspensions will work out best for me in the long run...on several levels.

Thanks for the encouragement!
    Andy...

"...if Shug didn't make you do it, then it's Dutch's fault!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Welcome, Drewski. Glad you're back in the woods and glad that you're here on HF. You'll find tons of info that will help you get setup in no time. Enjoy! And yes, if you can hike five days on the AT and not lose any weight, then you must be a pretty good cook.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida!
    I'll make a deal with you. I'll teach you everything I know about hammocks, if you'll teach me how to become a "kept" man!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    welcome from east Tenn.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from a fellow lurker from SC. This is the BEST place for information. If you cant find the information by searching, just make a new post and someone will pop up shortly with an answer. Gotta love Hammockforums!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    My setup for my hammock uses only one knot, my setup for my tarp, also one knot, on each side. Total number of knots 3. I could lose a knot but I'm (k)not that motivated. Welcome to the forums from Guam; may your days above ground be many and good.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Welcome to HF from NC, Drewski!

Setting up a tarp during a dayhike is a great way to practice and fiddle with your gear. I think you will be very pleased with the Toxaway. Once you have a hammock setup under that tarp you may find your dayhikes turn into allday hikes!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast