Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Hangus Interuptus

Got my tree straps today and rushed out to the yard to hang my first hang. I was all set up and apparently the hornets in my back yard are attracted to hammocks, too. Or I may have disturbed a nest in one of my trees.

So, in order to avoid multiple stings, I packed up and ran back to the house. Only hung for about 30 seconds.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hate stingy, flyee things!
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Holy crap! Did You forgot bugnet or those stingies stinged through bottom?
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Andersons View Post
    Holy crap! Did You forgot bugnet or those stingies stinged through bottom?
    Luckily I didn't get stung (I'm pretty allergic.) But just having them flying around while I was setting up was enough to give me the heebiejeebies.

My brother disturbed a nest once - ended up in the hospital with over 100 stings.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I went to the hospital with the 100 sting thing from wasps once - 25 stings to the head alone. I was picking blackberries and accidentally picked a wasp nest.

Nowadays, if I haven't disturbed the nest, I just let them fly around me, land on me, whatever. My wife and kids scream, "there's a wasp on you!" And I just say, "So?" You don't want to swat at them - that just makes them mad.

There's a wasp nest in our storage shed. When I enter, all the wasps turn toward me aggressively. I greet them cordially, get my tools, and bid them adieu. Even though the nest is two feet from my head, they don't attack. It means certain death for them if they lose their stinger. You have to really piss them off for them to attack. My wife wants me to remove the nest, but I won't. They're not bothering me.

I forgot how painful a sting can be though - I stepped on a bee last month and it was excruciating.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wasps DO NOT die after they sting someone. They have smooth stingers that can be retracted. They are even known to repeatedly sting the same target. Bees dies because their stinger is barbed and cannot be pulled from the skin.

I know all this from experience as well.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    I got stung by a bee last week....first time in a long time. I was just minding my own business, driving down the road, and one flew in my open window, landed in my lap and stung me! I thought that was rude. Almost crashed my car...
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    Wasps DO NOT die after they sting someone. They have smooth stingers that can be retracted. They are even known to repeatedly sting the same target. Bees dies because their stinger is barbed and cannot be pulled from the skin.

I know all this from experience as well.
    Well, they should die. In any case, they have to feel pretty threatened to attack.

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    I understand bees and the such, they play a huge roll in pollinating, making honey etc..., but what about wasps? All they do is fly around with those disgusting leg things dangling down and sting things. Sorry just hate wasps ever since one stung me 8 times before I jumped in the pool and got it away from me. To me they serve no purpose on this earth, along with tents of course

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Fortunately, we had our first sub-90 day in forever, got cool enough the wasps seemed to chill out a bit. So bothe the wife and I had a chance to hang for a little while.

Related: I'm probably going to have to buy a second hammock. My better half loved it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast