Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Wow, I clicked on this thread thinking this is going to be really one sided and I was right. But, what a route (sp?)!

I will add: depends on the hammock. Maybe we will hear from some of the JRB BMBH users soon, and they may give some kudos to the pad approach.

Also, using the SPE or maybe a double layered hammock pretty much ends the problem with the pad moving around.

Except for a very few experiments I have always used either the HH Super Shelter, Speer Pea Pod. JRB MW UQ or WB Yeti ( Climashield ) UQ. Comfort would be the main #1 reason. The advantages of the of the UQ are well stated here already. But the pads are not subject to various adjustment problems that you often read about here, there are not really any worries about keeping them dry, they are wind proof, somewhat or very cheap. If there is any possibility that you will have to go to ground or sleep in a shelter, you are all ready good to go.

I have only spent one cold night with pads. It was about 18F. I had a Speer hammock and Speer SPE with 2 summer weight pads stacked in the torso are, and one of those was a full length TR Ridgrest which took care of my legs. I had a WM blue pad cut up and place in the SPE wings to take care of my shoulders. I could not have been warmer, and I had no moisture issues that I can remember. Comfort was pretty good compared to the ground as far as I remember, but not as comfy as with no pad.

Other times I was thinking about taking just my pads and SPE on a trip to the Olympics in WA with my HH Explorer UL, but at the last minute I decided the comfort factor won over and took my HH SS. My only other pad use is when it gets down below 70 when I was sleeping in my JRB bridge hamock, and I would get too cool about 0400 or so. I would add a 20" wide torso pad and be fine. The best chance of maintaining comfort with a pad is with a bridge hammock with pad sleeve, like the BMBH.

I agree with billy, depends on the hammock. I find UQ generally better in gathered ends that are single layer. But with my bridge hammock I'd rather go with a 25 inch wide pad. You can get ones that are lighter and more compact than UQ plus the option to go ground.

I think if the OP is just starting out, the best insulation is the one you already have. Do you have a pad from sleeping in the ground? If so, use that first. If you like the hammock thing you can always change later. If you decide you're better off on the ground, you haven't committed $ resources to a specialized piece of kit.

I for one use a pad. I also sleep on the ground a fair bit. And when in a hammock I use a bridge with a pad pocket, so all of the issues mentioned above by others, have not been an issue for me.

Bottom line, as in most things, there is no one "best" solution that fits everyone.
    Last edited by BER; 08-04-2012 at 10:12.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    I love my UQ. To give you an analogy you can relate to.

Sleeping on the ground = Cold shower with bar of soap for hair and body. Don't run out of quarters.

Hammock/Pad = Nice hot shower with shampoo and soap. You might think you are home.

Hammock/UQ = Steamy hot bath with hair conditioner, foo foo shampoo and soap. You can set the temperature to whatever you want for as long as you want. If you are a lady feel free to add bubble bath and scented candles. You will almost certainly ask why do I sleep on that thing on the floor at home.

Pads are cheap and give you the first quantum leap in comfort. They have less temperature adjustment built into the system. They also tend to trap condensation which may leave you feeling clammy.

UQs are much more expensive. This is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. No condensation. For temperature control you simply reach under the hammock, with out getting out, to slide the UQ out from under you to cool your back down. If you start getting chilled just slide some or all of the UQ back. The added comfort and versatility are difficult to comprehend until you have experienced it. It is definitely the reason I won't be going back to a pad except under duress. Others in the thread have made good points about coverage.

Andy

Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground...
    Last edited by Full_timer; 08-04-2012 at 10:48.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Billy Bob has some good points about depends on the hammock, but for me, it comes down to this:

Broke? Pad wins hands down.
    Got some money? Buy or make an UQ.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothman View Post
    Glad I saw this thread. I use a reflectix windshield protector as a "pad" for insulation right now. I don't do much winter hiking, coldest I've been out is 30 F at night. Definitely was cold but I have a very cheap sleeping bag and I'm sure that didn't help.

I plan to stick with the reflectix pad and make anchor points like the HHDJ for a while. It does insulate enough for most situations I've been in.

Maybe I'll eventually make a DIY down UQ but, I'll never pay for one I'm just too cheap for that.
    I did like the reflectix pad that came with my HHDJ. It did work OK at the HHHNGNGHHH this past March. It is a bit bulky for backpacking though. I ended up taking it out and using the DIY UQ, though, as the days were warm and sunlight falling on that pad heated it up so that it was uncomfortable to nap in. Car camping it should work great for Spring and Fall, but for hiking in, a down UQ works best bulk and weight-wise.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    It definatly depends on the hammock. there are certain hammocks which do not work well with pads. Some hammocks work great with pads. Some hammocks just ok. If you pay attention enough, you start to see this pattern. I use both, 2/3 underquilt in 3-seasons and pads in winter.

Many have extolled the virtues of uq's with only one downside, the cost. There are a few others.

First, they can be finicky. You need to get them dialed in to be effective to the temperature rating. This isn't easy for some.

Second, they are affected greatly by wind. A small breeze can quickly steal the heat captured int he down. This requires either a fully enclosed tarp, or weathershield or both. Pads are vapor barriers and block the wind.

Third, weight. Down is light, but there is a point at which the weight/warmth ratio is bested by pads. Since everyone has different cold thresholds, there isn't a hard fast number. Pads are extremely bulky however.

Now I am sure the UQ fanatics will present counter arguments to my statements. Like I said, I use both pads and UQ's. I am not married to either

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Evazote foam 1/4"
    Suspension
    Stock Straps
    Due to budget constraints, I am a pad user and have overcome the pad issues at reasonable cost. I sleep warm with no cold spots, it's comfortable and packs lighter. Pack space is even not an issue since I roll it up and hang it from the outside.

I purchased two (2) pads of 1/4" evazota foam, joined them together with gorilla tape (will use ripstop nylon tape on my next one, it' lighter) and traced a rough outline of a body (I used my teen age son) leaving several inches for wrapping, especially in the shoulders and cut it out.

What you end up with is a custom mummy shaped pad that cost about $50, gives you full coverage, stays in place, will keep you warm, weighs less than a pound (1/8" cuts the weight in half), minimal bunching, can be strapped to the outside of your pack in the rain, and has multiple uses.

Some other uses: Ground pad, Water proof roof in case of emergency, can be cut shaped and tied to broken limbs for stability, can replace soles in boots while yours dries out, flotation devise, can be used to make flies for fishing, etc...

Having two; one 1/4" and 1/8" ($70) allows you to sleep in all weather. 1/8" in summer, 1/4" in spring and fall, use both together in winter.

You must have a DL to enjoy the luxury of a well made pad.

Well that the other side of the coin!
    Last edited by packdaddy; 08-11-2012 at 19:43.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7, Lite owl
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    Potomac, Jarbidge
    I really enjoy my new Potomac. For far my first uq is a lot less frustrating to stay in place then any pad ive tried

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    I think if your a starter you should stick to a pad why its cheaper. Unless you know that you are going to be a permanent hammock camper. Under quilts are super expensive you are talking about 200-100 dollars.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast