HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Spreader bar with No Net?

I just received a Claytor Jungle Hammock, I really liked my No-Net and wanted one with mosquito netting. Anyway, I was looking at the no-net now and was wondering if it would work to use spreader bars, like for the bridge hammock on the No-Net so the hammock wouldn't pinch together on the ends, maybe open it up more. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on the best way to go about it or anything I should watch out for to keep from trashing the No-Net? Also, I'm wondering if it would make the hammock unstable?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greggg3 View Post
    I just received a Claytor Jungle Hammock, I really liked my No-Net and wanted one with mosquito netting. Anyway, I was looking at the no-net now and was wondering if it would work to use spreader bars, like for the bridge hammock on the No-Net so the hammock wouldn't pinch together on the ends, maybe open it up more. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on the best way to go about it or anything I should watch out for to keep from trashing the No-Net? Also, I'm wondering if it would make the hammock unstable?
    Slowhike spreads his hammock at the top using a hiking pole. It is a narrow hammock, strung tight, like the Claytor. So I think this can be made to work. You'll have to get details from him on how to do the attachment without tearing up the fabric.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I sewed a daisy chain of 3/4" webbing about 20" long, to the top edge of the hemmed edge.
    The distance may not be the same on your Claytor because my DIY top entry hammock is 11' long.
    The important thing is to add the length of daisy chain where it will be above your head when laying in the hammock.
    The 20" length was both to add security by spreading the force & to give choices on where to attach the spreader.

You can see from the picture that I used mini biners. they just make changes easier, but I don't change much now, other than switching the spreader attachments to another hammock.

I used shock cord to be easy on the attachment points & webbing to hold the pole tip.

I used a heaver, nylon fabric to form a bag for the handle.

Don't let the extra webbing & buckles throw you... they are just for securing the storage end covers.

I have been using this set up for a while now & have only switched attachments once, & that was just because I made a slight improvement to how it's put together.
    I see no problem w/ the hammock edges & I sleep in it every night.

If your interested & want more info, I'll be glad to help.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Wow, Slowhike, that is impressive. I don't think I"m up to that type of modification - it looks pretty complicated with the straps and cord and webbing - seriously impressive, are you a structural engineer?

I was thinking that because the claytor has two lines running from it (instead of one like the Speer or HH) I could just put a spreader bar between the 2 lines going to the tree without actually sewing on the hammock - but this probably wouldn't be stable, I can see myself getting flipped and smacked on the ground, probably better to leave well enough alone...just keep looking at it though...

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    No, not hardly an engineer, or anything close<G> But thanks.
    Here's a shot I just took of the latest version. A little simpler.

And here's the handle end. Ignore the black webbing going around the green sack. that was added on for another application.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    OK, I see how it works now - Thanks. So you can do it on different hammocks and then just clip the same arrangement on any of them, nice.

Requires some sewing that may take me awhile - nice work on the webbing "basket" for the pole tip. Is that shock cord or rope your using for the biner attachment? Those look like nice mini-biners, haven't seen that type at walmart.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, I used shock cord. it still stretches it nice & taught, but allows some flex.
    The mini biners are from Backpacking Light.com, but JRB has the mini biners to. They cost a little more than the ones at wal-mart, but I haven't had one to fail me yet.
    I have several from wal-mart & the wire that springs the gate closed is bad to pop off.

• + New Posts