Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best choice for cheap, quick tarp

Here's the story: Next Friday me, bry961 and our friend are doing a 3 day hike around manistee river/north country trail. I've been pretty broke lately and I don't have a ton of time to make gear (My hammock took enough time and I need to make one more this week). I need a tarp for myself and my friend just in case it rains. We're using ~130" HH-clone hammocks.

Requirements:

Cheap
    Easy to find
    Good enough for 2 nights.

Doesn't have to be especially small, we just need to have SOMETHING in case it rains so we're not miserable/hypothermic.

Also, for anyone who knows the area (northern michigan) is it cool enough yet to go without bugnets? What if we drown ourselves in DEET?

(As of now the weather forecast is clear and mild except for 20% chance on saturday, but there is an omnipotent force that follows all of us around with the singular goal of slapping happiness out of our hands.)

Thanks!

Images
    If you are on a really tight budged and don't mind the weight the cheap blue tarps would be hard to beat. Maybe buy one and slit the cost.

Another option is a thick plastic drop cloth. Add some ghost tie-outs of the corners and ridgeline.

Whatever your choice I would set this up before you leave. Nothing worse than seeing the rain coming and trying to figureout how to rig something to keep you dry as it starts falling. Speaking from experience on this of course.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I've been pretty happy with this one

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22220

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Been very happy with the inexpensive one I got from Big Rock Outfitters:

http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com/ind...oducts_id=8747

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    If you are on a really tight budged and don't mind the weight the cheap blue tarps would be hard to beat. Maybe buy one and slit the cost.

Another option is a thick plastic drop cloth. Add some ghost tie-outs of the corners and ridgeline.

Whatever your choice I would set this up before you leave. Nothing worse than seeing the rain coming and trying to figureout how to rig something to keep you dry as it starts falling. Speaking from experience on this of course.
    Good call on the big blue tarp. I have one in the garage that I didn't even think of. I'll have to see how that works. I could just lash it to my pack if it's too bulky to fit. It's not like I'm striving for UL or anything here.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I've been happy with my HH 70d Hex for $50 total. Go to the Hammock Company (www.hammock-company.com). They have it for cheaper than you can get it from HH and if you use the Google Checkout you can get another $5 off the total price.
    Last edited by sbmcghee; 09-22-2008 at 18:12.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

$50 looks a little expensive (for now because i'd need two, but next season is a different story). I think I'll end up going with the standard blue tarp. Should work out well.

BTW, how many of the walmart/target CCF pads are necessary to get reasonable comfort down to 45*f? Will one do it, provided it's big enough, or should I plan on stacking two around the torso?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One pad worth of thickness may be enough but you still need shoulder coverage. Get another to cut up into wings and duct tape it, or cut it in half and turn it sideways to lay under the full-length pad as wings. Or get a SPE if you can spare the cash.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    Here's the story: Next Friday me, bry961 and our friend are doing a 3 day hike around manistee river/north country trail. I've been pretty broke lately and I don't have a ton of time to make gear (My hammock took enough time and I need to make one more this week). I need a tarp for myself and my friend just in case it rains. We're using ~130" HH-clone hammocks.

Requirements:

Cheap
    Easy to find
    Good enough for 2 nights.

Doesn't have to be especially small, we just need to have SOMETHING in case it rains so we're not miserable/hypothermic.

Also, for anyone who knows the area (northern michigan) is it cool enough yet to go without bugnets? What if we drown ourselves in DEET?

(As of now the weather forecast is clear and mild except for 20% chance on saturday, but there is an omnipotent force that follows all of us around with the singular goal of slapping happiness out of our hands.)

Thanks!
    I was just up there for a three day canoe trip. We saw maybe 2 mosquitos the whole trip. If the temps are low, they will be minimal. I am going to be there again next week. Good luck with the hike, it is a beautiful area.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=booone0;80231]$50 looks a little expensive (for now because i'd need two, but next season is a different story). I think I'll end up going with the standard blue tarp. Should work out well.

BTW, how many of the walmart/target CCF pads are necessary to get reasonable comfort down to 45*f? Will one do it, provided it's big enough, or should I plan on stacking two around the torso?[/QUOT

Wally World has two pads. One is 20" wide and the other is 25". I'd go with the 25"er especially if you are not going to build wings as Jeff suggested. It's a tad thicker and softer.
    I've slept down in the 40s and lower with just that one pad. Wings in the shoulder area are particularly nice though.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast