Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike

Who introduced YOU to the thread injector?

First off, I think the term "thread injector" had to have been coined by some tough guy who was too embarrassed to admit he was into using the SEWING MACHINE, so lets not fool ourselves gentlemen lol!

Anyways, my mom finally swung over to my crib today and helped me learn the 101 basics of sewing. Threading the needle, inserting the bobbin, and just the overall "feel" of what it takes to get r dun

Of course everyone finds it amusing that I'm into DIY now, especially with hammocks, which many of you know is a whole nuthr' explanation in itself with those that only know about ground-dwelling...

So, who influenced/reintroduced you to sewing?

Looking forward to a different thread (pun wasn't intended actually).

Word.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    My mother got me into sewing...er I mean using the material welder. She had her own alteration business at home when I was growing up. She was a professional seamstress and dressmaker. Then she started her own sewing school....so guess who got to attend the fist session? I kept at it on and off while I was in the Navy as it was much cheaper to put on my own patches as opposed to paying someone else. That led to putting on other people's patches. Eventually, I got into the gear making, that is much more fun for me than clothing....kilts are the exception!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    My grandma introduced me to sewing. My mother couldn't sew on a button to save her life. My grandmother would buy me all the material I wanted with the rule that I had to finish one project before starting another.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I just jumped off the deep end! For me it was school of hard knocks, internet and some of the fine threads here!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Got one as a XMas present from wife (she does not sew). Broke it after a few months (it was s cheap entry level machine). Bought a Sears heavy duty machine that was marked down as it was being discontinued. Now the wife decided "we" need to take sewing lessons and has signed us up for sewing machine class this fall at the local community college. She said she is tired of going to group hangs and all the guys are talking about making/sewing DIY gear and she has no idea what they are talking about. She said I might be the only man in the class, I told her in that case I bet I will have no problem getting help if I need it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Yes! Keep em' comin'

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    My mother got me into sewing...er I mean using the material welder. <snip>
    Just a little off-topic, but expansive: The great German sewing machine maker Pfaff has had a very complex corporate history the last decade. One of the changes of direction they report on their web page is exactly the view of raiffnuke's I snipped and kept for hilighting. Pfaff was (for a time) not in the business of producing machines to sew fabric together, but in developing technology to join fabrics (and films), however that was accomplished.

And now back to my work converting a Necchi into squeezing out minuscule quantities of two-part epoxy and ultrasonically welding cuben and vinyl as the feed dogs pass what had once been the needle bar.

On topic: I was uninterested, despite an avid sewist in the family (who shortened even the sleeves of my dress shirts.) Resentment of shipping charges for tree straps I could certainly bar-tack myself, amazement that so much fine old machinery could rescued from the dump, and envy of gear-makers here had me buy the first sm, a Necchi hatched when I was.

Wondering if and how good it was had me quickly acquire a small harem of sm's. No time and too little machismo left for serial monogamy or serial relationship dissolutions.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-04-2012 at 22:17.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Speer, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps
    My mother made me take the Home Economics class in Jr. High (I was the only guy) She said I needed to take the class so that I would be able to repair my cloths when I left home.

Who knew I would revisit those skills some 30 years later. Thanks Mom!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    At 5 I was turning the fly wheel of my mom's Singer by hand making bean bags. Nothing more than a stuff sack for dried navy beans. 50 some years later.... I have my own machine, work table and tools so my wife and I don't have to share.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Everyone here on the DIY sub forum should exercise their constitutional right to remain silent and not incriminate themselves right now. Yes, a new budget sewing machine has arrived. As a graduate of the RamblinRev video series, he would probably be apoplectic at my choice and do his best Fred Sanford Elizabeth I'm coming home impersonation. I still have almost every thing to learn. I have been very inspired by all the neat projects you folks build.

I kept telling myself; I am not crafty, I am not crafty. It didn't work. I have been inspired/brainwashed to enter the world of DIY. Hopefully, I will be competent enough, very soon, to hem the tablecloths that will arrive by the end of this coming week. I also need to build some mesh peak bags for my BIAS and the tablecloths. Then I need to work on the plush summer UQ/TQ idea I have. Does this insanity ever stop? Way too many crazy ideas for things to build keep running through my mind.

The wheels are turning and every last one of you is guilty guilty guilty...

Andy

Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast