BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Hammocks w/o nets

Is there an advantage to camping with a netless hammock that I'm not seeing? I've tried several different ones here at the house and love 'em but I can't seem to keep my top quilt or pillow inside. It wouldn't trill me to have either one of these hitting the chigger infested dirt here in Ga.This is not a problem with the Blackbird or Hennesy. I love all my hammocks but for now it looks like I'm gonna have to stick to the enclosed variety for hiking/camping. Maybe it would be easier to keep up with 'em if I wasn't so busy snoring while hanging

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If you hike in the winter or during times when the bugs are not out, you can save a little weight and enjoy the breeze a bit more. Personally, I'm not sure I've ever hiked when there weren't bugs around, but others apparently have.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Once bug season is over here in MI, I prefer the open air feel of a hammock without the bug net. Especially when it's nice weather and I don't need to use a tarp. It is a little harder to keep your stuff in the hammock, but I'm just careful to hang my stuff over the ridgeline when I get out of it.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    So, your question is referring to the hammocks that don't have the bugnet built in/separate bugnet system? ....or are you referring to netless, meaning just that, totally netless...like going without underwear?

To address it all on my point of view:
    I must, must, must have a bugnet. I don't like the thought of being ate alive by bugs while I try to sleep....and not one of those bottomless bugnets either. Those **** forest floor spiders jump, grab on, and climb in with you. A total nightmare The bottomless is now my "lending bugnet"

I use a seperate bugnet, for several reasons. I can dangle my foot over my hammock if I want to, I can dramatically change my suspension lay and ridgeline if I need to (do to hurt hips or back), I don't have to pack it if it's not needed, I can switch it out for my overcover/sock if need be (and not have to mess with 2 separate things). My hammocks are wide enough, and foot box deep enough that my TQ doesn't fall out, so that is not a problem for me. Even when I was using my Eno DN, I didn't experience problems with my TQ falling out.....and I'm not a small, short woman. I can also use it on more than one hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Weight and view, mostly. While I'm probably only going to be able to use my DIY without a net maybe two weeks out of the year down here (if that), it'll be nice to be able to leave the extra weight at home and watch the stars without anything in between them and me (well, minus the trees...and the miles of atmosphere...and the extra particulate matter that we put into the atmosphere...and the light pollution from the nearest town...and...but it's the principle of the thing! ).

If you want to avoid your stuff falling out, there are three main approaches: a sewn-in footbox, like the one on the Blackbird; a Knotty elastic cord mod; or leashes for your stuff (elastic cord attached to your TQ and/or pillow, tied to the ridgeline).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm here in Ga and I mostly go to the mountains where I have not had a problem. I like the open feel of netless (or net pulled back) hammock. I have a separate net to take with me, but in all honesty, I've not really used it. Only when I want to read at night with a light, which otherwise would attract bugs - but that seems to be only wishful thinking on my part, never happens.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I like the net-less hammocks, but have never used one with an attached bug net. The best hammock that I have, has the Knotty stretch-side, so no problems w/ gear falling out. Also, with an unattached full bug net, I am able to move my UQ as needed. I tend to move alot when sleeping, sometimes switching from head left, feet right to head right, feet left. I get up to natures call and lay back down and switch sides. All I have to do is reach over the side of my hammock and adjust the UQ. Not sure if I would be able to do this with an attached bug net, or at least not as easy.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    +1 on the Knotty Mods!
    Signature suspended

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deerfu View Post
    Is there an advantage to camping with a netless hammock that I'm not seeing? I've tried several different ones here at the house and love 'em but I can't seem to keep my top quilt or pillow inside. It wouldn't trill me to have either one of these hitting the chigger infested dirt here in Ga.This is not a problem with the Blackbird or Hennesy. I love all my hammocks but for now it looks like I'm gonna have to stick to the enclosed variety for hiking/camping. Maybe it would be easier to keep up with 'em if I wasn't so busy snoring while hanging
    Is there an advantage, you ask? No doubt, just as there are disadvantages, some of which you and others have already mentioned.

Adv. #1: If backpacking, you save from 3 to 9 oz of netting/Velcro/zipper weight. Which may be useless weight if it is too cold for bugs, although some folks still like a net around them even then. I have also saved this weight during bug season twice now, even with lots of mossies around, by using Permethrin treated hammock and clothing plus 20% Picaridin on exposed skin. and not yet had a single bite. It worked! However, I did suffer from paranoia about being bit, and did find myself kind of wishing I had just brought a net. I think I would have slept easier.

2: Unless you are really able to get your net out of the way, it is a bit cooler with no net. Which is great if you need it cooler. Those nets can really block the breeze, sometimes even if they are mostly moved out of the way. They can hold heat in also. Which might be a pro or a con.

3: A PeaPod seems to work a little bit better either with a No Net hammock or with a model that really allows getting the net completely out of the way. And if you need the net out of the way, why carry the weight? Since the Pod wraps around the entire hammock, things falling out on the ground is not near as much of a problem. If anything manages to fall, it probably will fall into the pod.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks for the tips! I really like the open hammocks myself (actually like all hammocks) and if I can get some of these tricks to work keeping my sleeping gear inside I may give it a try in the woods.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast