WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps

first week long camp a success ... well kinda

so i brought my hammock to a weeklong scout camp as my first hang that wasn’t in my back yard, it was really nice for the first couple days but then it got cold for 2 nights and really rainy for 1.

now for my problems
    1.) i started out the week with a cheap dollar store pad but i found it wasn't wide enough so the next night i used a reflector that you would put in your car window on a hot day, that was fine for 3 nights but then it got cold and i froze my but off.

2.) it rained 2 nights , one was a major thunder and lightning storm so i slept in a chair under our camps dining fly (dident really feel safe hanging between 2 trees) when i woke up the the next morning the clothes i had hung over my hammock ridgeline where wet, so im guessing the rain came down the tree straps

TIME FOR QUESTIONS!!!

1.) instead of using a pad could i just use one of those heavy duty emergency blankets as an underquilt?

2.) how do you stop the rain from running down the treestraps?

thanks,
    A.Bottoms

ps. i really wish i would of taken a picture of my set up i thought it was cool

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Bottoms View Post
    TIME FOR QUESTIONS!!!

1.) instead of using a pad could i just use one of those heavy duty emergency blankets as an underquilt?

2.) how do you stop the rain from running down the treestraps?
    Greetings

To answer your questions, a heavy duty emergency space blanket will not work as an underquilt. It's a reflector for radiant heat that your body puts out. It is not insulation. If you had other insulation (pad, underquilt) it can be use as a supplement rather effectively.

As for rain running down your suspension, you need something on your suspension that is under the edge of your tarp that will allow the water to drip off. This could be a piece of string tied to your suspension that hangs down, or a piece of hardware (descender ring, carabiner, etc) that is part of your suspension.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    For drips, if using webbing, you can tie your excess webbing under your tarp edge (a couple inches in from the edge of the tarp), or, as BrianW eloquently stated, tie a string or use something else. The idea is to give the water another route to follow, instead of an expressway into your hammock.

Congrats on a good hang!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    ok thanks guys

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    + 1 on the advice above.

Don't feel you need to give up on pads: they do work decently in a hammock, and give you the option of ground sleeping if you need it. But you've already found out that you need adequate width at the shoulders or else you freeze!

Some folks go with a relatively short closed cell foam pad- basically covering from their shoulders down to mid-thigh or so. The other great hint you'll find in these forums is the SPE (segmented pad extender.) Check out Jeff's page on them: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html

And, welcome to the world above ground!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just took a ridgerest pad, and sewed some velcro on to it, so I could attach it to a wider piece of windshield sun reflector. 7.6oz, have yet to get cold in the upper body with it. I've taken it down to approx 28F.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I use a WW blue CCF pad, cut in half, then use it to form a capital T, across my shoulders. Doesn't take as much wiggle factor as you'd think to get into a diagonal lay with it, but I'm short. 5' 6". I do not detect the overlap underneath me.

I sometimes need a little extra insulation on the back of my neck or one side of a thigh or the other. Practically anything will work. I carry a windshield protector along with me as well, in case I need a full layer of additional insulation. Haven't used it yet. Generally depend on some sort of base layer for sleep clothing, and will sleep in nearly everything I carry, should temps dictate.

Too cold still? Nest it! Drop hammock almost to the ground, and tarp even further.

Collect leaf debris and fill in as much of the open area under and around the hammock, inside and outside the tarp, as possible, if possible.

Use poncho draped over RL as an overcover. Be sure to vent at both head and foot end to keep from swimming in condensation, should you be in that range.

Depending on wind conditions, site selection, and what sort of a sleeper you are, there's as little as 5 to as much as 15 degrees, for you, but it can make a big difference.

Best O Luck
    Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    I used pads in the begining but didnt like the clammy feeling it caused ....since going with an under quilt Ive been much happier.

• + New Posts