Thread: hello hangers

morasar

hello hangers

Hi folks
    I started with a hammock bought on a Yucatan vacation. Loved it for lounging in the back yard.

I recently bought - on a whim - an Eno hammock from REI. I read enough here not to buy the Eno straps, so I'm trying to choose methods, and it's really intriguing. I have decided not to study my life away, and I'm about ready to ask some questions; I've been hanging around and trying to absorb some vocabulary so I can talk!

We have almost no trees (as of Hurricane Ike - one landed on our house). I've done some rope tying around stuff in my house. I didn't want to cut my new rope till I was sure how to do it, so I used a length of nylon rope on one end. That didn't work well, of course.

Now I'm intrigued by the suspension line ideas, but not too sure of how to put it all together. I look forward to learning how to make a whoopee sling, but don't have all the gear yet.

SO, here's my question. If I tie my rope through the carabiners, can I use that same rope to hang to the tree? (It's 30-35 feet) I'm thinking straps tied to the tree, and through this same rope, and several loops through the carabiners to stabilize their position. (And I know it wouldn't be the easiest way to adjust the tension.) The rope is 5mm braided with plenty of strength.

I've seen the videos, so I know I'm not getting this together quickly, but just for a first hang, is there a pitfall I'm missing?

I'm looking forward to any suggestions offered. This looks like a great world to be part of!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass. You have come to the right place to get all of your hammock questions answered. What you are describing sounds a lot like a Single Line Suspension (SLS). Check out this thread to learn more about SLS.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the addiction from NY.

My sister lives in the Woodlands, TX.

• + New Posts