Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Guardian bug net
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images

Hammock Bliss...ENO. I'm confused

I know there are only so many possible configurations, but visually a lot of their gear is very similar.
    Maybe it's just me.
    If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There are many brands that I've read people say even use the same factory abroad. They really are all very similar. The difference I have seen with less expensive ones is in the quality of stitching.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Most of the parachute nylon hammocks on the market come out of the same factory in Indonesia. Most go through Charly, the CEO of Ticket to the Moon hammocks, to get product. I took three top "brands" and turned them face down and asked my kids to pick which they thought was a certain brand. From the back, the stuff sacks are identical -- same cord locks, same size, same stitching, same product tags, etc., etc. The only difference was the label stitched in front. Send me a PM and I'll let you know which

I have a comparison chart of the parachute nylon hammocks on the market on my website:

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/p...parison-chart/

Recently, Grand Trunk Goods moved manufacturing from Indonesia to China. You should check out their product line now -- an improvement in quality, nicer fabrics, and a touch of style in their new stuff sacks and biners.

Who you decide to patronize will depend on your own factors. Maybe price or customer service will win you over. A few companies have branched out to make their own hammock style that differs from the rest. The Hammock Bliss no-see-um no more hammock is one. The hammock bed is large and made from a single piece, unlike the competition made from 3 panels. The Ticket to the Moon single is also made from a single piece and is larger compared to other "singles" and is arguably more comfortable because of that.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um No More
    Tarp
    BCUSA Coyote 10x10
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I haven't had much experience with ENO, but I own a Hammock Bliss No Seeum No More and I have noticed major similarities with Grand Trunk that border on possible patent infringment. In fact, the only reason I went with one over the other is that Hammock Bliss had a sale going that saved me $12.
    Palmetto State Hangers Facebook Group

Last Hang Attended 2013 Fall Sprawl Trip Report

Next Hang To Attend 2014 Spring Swing

I can only afford to live free.
    Anything else cost far too much.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smiley View Post
    I haven't had much experience with ENO, but I own a Hammock Bliss No Seeum No More and I have noticed major similarities with Grand Trunk that border on possible patent infringment. In fact, the only reason I went with one over the other is that Hammock Bliss had a sale going that saved me $12.
    I'd have to do a little more research on hammock patents, but I don't think there is any infringement. Hammock Bliss, Grand Trunk, Byer of Main, and Mosquito Hammock all share similar bug net designs. I don't think any have filed for a patent, and for good reason: the design is nothing extraordinary, and it would be difficult to claim first to market.

The two commercial hammock manufacturers to come out with a mosquito net attached are Hennessy and Clark, and they both based their designs on the military jungle hammocks. The military jungle hammocks are public domain, and you could argue that the other manufacturers designs are similar to the military hammocks.

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to call a foul here. As I mentioned, so many of the shops are ordering their hammocks from the same factory and their hammocks are nearly identical because they are not pushing innovation, they are trying to feed demand. I hear, on occasion, that ENO is upset with Grand Trunk, or Grand Trunk and Trek Light aren't happy with Kammok, but in the end, it's just healthy competition between look-alike products.

Where the companies get beat up is when someone comes out with a better quality product, better service, or some innovation. Take the Kammock python strap. It wasn't completely revolutionary -- the other manufacturers were doing a similar daisy chain but with rope. Kammock put some class into the design, took advice from the forum and made a quality strap that works right the first time. ENO was upset because they had a similar product, the Slap Strap Pro. The designs were designed differently, but both took advantage of a daisy chain loop. ENO's straps, as most know, are made from nylon, and are universally despised, although still selling well. I think customer feedback, fueled by competitive products, pushed ENO to recently introduce their Atlas straps that have a better design and use polyester.

What is more intriguing are the hammock designs that break the mold and try to do something different like the Alpine Hammock bivy or the newly announced hammock from Hammock Bliss, or the new hammock from Exped.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I own a ENO DN and a Grand Truck Double Parachute and they are both very good hammocks. As mentioned above you can not tell them apart just by looking at them with a casual look. The difference I have noticed is that the ENO fabric has a softer feel too it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The lengths are actually quite a bit different between at least three; Trek Light, TTTM, & ENO.

Below are all the various "single" models.

From left to right: ENO, TrekLight, Ticket To The Moon.

From the bottom end so you can see they are lined-up at one end:

I had to double check my Trek Light because both my Single and Double are the same color pattern, but this one is the single. No tape to be found () to measure, but it's pretty obvious visually.

Edit: Actually, I guess the specs back this up with the ENO coming in way short. This is enough, to me, to make these different hammocks. All other things being equal, the length has a big impact. I suppose this is a big reason I choose the Trek Lights and TTTMs more often than the ENOs.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Edit: Actually, I guess the specs back this up with the ENO coming in way short. This is enough, to me, to make these different hammocks. All other things being equal, the length has a big impact. I suppose this is a big reason I choose the Trek Lights and TTTMs more often than the ENOs.
    +1 Cannibal. The length is something that really makes a difference. My single TTTM is a favorite for this reason (plus, it's a single panel vs. three panels).

You can see in my chart the various manufacturers (for parachute nylon hammocks) compared -- there is differences in dimension. But when you look at construction: stitching, rope loops, steel hooks, stuff sacks, tags, etc., they have identical features.

Some variance in size is common in manufacturing, so in my chart, you'll note an inch difference between several models, which I throw up to manufacturing and measurement variance.

Grand Trunk, as I mentioned, moved from Indonesia to China and you'll see a marked difference in fabric and styling. I really like the feel of their new fabric and their stuff sacks have much more class.

• + New Posts