Quote Originally Posted by rookierocker View Post
I am VERY excited about hammock camping! However, the customer service and quality I received with my Claytor hammock could have been better.

.... I made the $180.00 purchase of a Claytor jungle hammock. ... Upon set-up I noticed 1- a foot long fringe near the zipper 2. v-shaped hole sequence by a mistaken sew ... ripped out and re-sewn.

Tom gave me two options: 1- singe the fringe with a lighter and ignore the dot sequence as it was not a structural flaw OR 2- return it for another one.

I have now inquired three times about pre-paid shipping because the first two times of inquiring about the company paying for shipping I only received an email response with an address. I dont feel I should incur any additional costs to receive a non-defective hammock nor incur shipping costs to return the hammock.
Ok to wrap it up I sliced the Opening Post and distilled both sides.
Above is the complaint... about quality...

Below is from http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

IMPORTANT - We ship EVERY FRIDAY. ..... If you are not happy with your Mosquito Hammock, please return for a full refund (less our shipping cost). If you have any comments or questions, please email me -- TOM

I would say.. that mfg issues happen... however how far this post has gone... I am starting to align with Tom's approach... Before we talk about what is wrong.. lets see the hammock... That is a very good (put your money where your mouth is approach.. When we look at the cost for shipping vs value of the repair.. Personally I would be a bit bummed myself.. but do I want to spend x amount to cosmetic fix the hammock? Not so much due to I squeak when I walk...
TO suggest people on HF are front men to try to rabble rouse a linch mob does not help either.
I have purchased my Claytor JH from the Forum and an am quite happy with my second hand JH. Its a good product at a good price its camo and Mosquitos don't bite me... It sounds like you need a higher level hammock to meet your needs .. After getting a couple nano biners .. I am pleased as punch with how the Claytor JH works.

So why should Tom trust you that there was a mfg error till he see's it himself? What If i don't like how a Hammock lays... and want to get out of the sale? Should he bequest to the free return shipping demand? before inspecting it... what if it was perfectly fine? you may need to look at it as a way to weed out nit-picky people by having a customer put a bit of their own capital down to make it right...

We can do all kinds of comparatives.. but why is it ok once you buy a new car and find there is an issue... to drive to the dealership.. then wait for them to "fit you in" to tell you if there is a issue or not.. .
Tom's approach is no different.. I am sure you can deliver it to him by hand and save the shipping.

obtw.. the part about trolls and goblins are very good points when choosing a hammock...