Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I tend to trust razor blades though I do give them a look over before dragging the sharp thing across my face and head, everything else I tend to test. It seems rather silly to go out for a fun overnighter and have that turn into a possible life threatening event because a key piece of gear wasn't checked out. I know that's a little extreme to say your hammock wasn't sewn pretty and it became life threatening but what if you got out in the middle of nowhere and your underquilt and overquilt didn't have any down in them? Ooops. and it's 15 below? OUCH!!! And your in the deep woods past the narrow rocky gorge filled with trolls that feast on blood. NOW you're in trouble. There's no going over that at night because the Goblins will tip you off the path.

So see, ALWAYS check your gear when you get it BEFORE you become a Gnome Sammich!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Lol...you sound like a front man for Tom Claytor.

The issue is way past the $60 loss my friend will take on returning the hammock. I've already told her that I'll pay her the $60 because I'm the one who put my credibility on the line by recommending she buy a claytor. Unlike Tom, I value my reputation.

Look through those 500 posts and you'll see a lot of praise and promotion of Tom and his products. I didn't hear you complaining when I was praising the guy and his products.

Now that he has let me down and impinged my reputation I'm letting people know just like I let them know of my personal satisfaction with his product.

Or maybe you think this forum should be one big promotion fest for all things hammock. No negative experiences allowed to be posted, just praise and glory to hammock salesmen.

Had I read a similar post like this before I purchased my Claytors I would have looked elsewhere for a hammock. The integrity of the seller is just as important as the quality of the product.
    I see no problem with what you guys are doing. You are reporting a factory defect and, far more importantly, what seems a rather poor response to the reporting of the problem. At least compared to what people are used to around here. And compared to previous dealings with this vendor by people here.

In case I am missing it: you have to pay return shipping, like I had to recently when Golight sent me the wrong sized pack. But is TC then going to refund your shipping sense it is his error, like Golight happily ( far as I could tell anyway) did for me?

And I think that obsessively checking all your critical equipment is a great idea BEFORE you get deep into the wilderness, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject of the OP?

Tarp
    Ghetto Tarp
    Insulation
    Squirrels

Thumbs up

He has a sub forum here that he's not responsible for and doesn't even participate in (unless he's an extreme lurker), it's been here for at least 3 or 4 years that I know of and all these people are here every day. Plus all the other things the internet has him doing.

He must be doing something right!
    I wanna be Tom!
    "Acorns were good until bread was found."
    Francis Bacon

Final verdict: This subject has become nothing but a power struggle and I am done with it.

I realize ya'll spend hundreds of dollars on hammocks and that is fine but a $180.00 purchase for me was a big deal and it came down to trust in the company. When I purchased the hammock, I trusted it would be 100%. When I found it wasn't and I had to pay return shipping for someone else's mistake I lost my trust in the company.

I feel if I am in the wrong, I am to make it right. Since the company was in the wrong, I feel they should make it right. BUt the company does not feel it was an issue.

I felt pushed into the corner: (1) deal with it or (2) pay more money for US to fix OUR mistake. I don't understand how that is OK but again, Tom "wins" as I am done with the power struggle.

Next time I will not trust in the quality of a product until I can see and touch it. One thing said, I do feel people should learn from my experience. BE CAUTIOUS. However, the cost of word of mouth may be more than Tom paying return shipping. I guess we can both Tom and I can learn from this issue.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I can see times where people would take advantage of a small business and run them into the ground paying for returned shipping on items that weren't bad or that weren't manufacturer defects. Several of the places I order model airplane parts from will have me pay return shipping then if it is in fact their problem, they'll reimburse me and perhaps that is the standard for Tom as well.

Shame your item had a problem. Hard time to find out in the field. I'm not you and don't know how I'd particularly would have handled it, but if I felt I was getting screwed I would probably have complained openly and maybe someone could have explained it better to me. Don't know. But, I guess now you do. At least we learned to always check our equipment before going somewhere. Heck, a moth may have eaten my WBBB in the last two months. And we have learned the return process on your hammock. What happens from there I haven't learned yet.

Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl lefty, WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy Camo
    Insulation
    KAQs, Pads, PLUQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After having gotten treated like I did I can only conclude Tom doesn't agree that there is a problem with the hammock.

Personally, in my mind if you aren't happy he should make it right. The money lost on making right would be less in the long run from doing it like he is.

Instead of buy with confidence it is more like buyer beware and that's a shame.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    The hammock should have never been shipped with the defects, case closed.

Hammock
    •SLD••
    Tarp
    ●SLD●
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    The hammock should have never been shipped with the defects, case closed.
    tom doesn't close cases...they stay way open...

i got screwed out of about 60 bucks...so heres maybe 60 bucks of bad PR...maybe a lot more if it deflects a few prospective buyers...

DD has about the same style hammocks...they ship ultra fast..and i had no problem with a replacement tarp sent out...sent a few pics and it was on its way..

like i said before , i think he's a remote manager...things don't always get inspected it seems..

i read complaints a while ago, i think from GB, he told someone that had a problem with a tarp , if they didn't like it to use it to cover their tractor...
    Last edited by bob2guns; 08-17-2012 at 00:46.

Hammock
    Claytor Camouflage Jungle Hammock
    I would like to share ma experience with Tom Claytor Hammocks.
    After I read this and the other threads where few people described bad experience with Tom, I decided put my order anyway and wait what direction things go.
    I have to say I am pleased with the service (from Thailand to Czech), with shipping time (ordered/paid 10.8., shipped 16.8. delivered 24.8.) and with condition of hammocks. I bought camouflage and for a friend olive type and they both looks great. Camouflage type is really amazing. I cant wait to use it in the woods.

Overall I am satisfy with Tom Claytor Hammocks and I would recommend it.

Album: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...p?albumid=2292
    Last edited by idymalgia; 08-24-2012 at 13:38. Reason: Add album link.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    KickAss UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In all the years I have been "hanging" around this site, I have to say this is one of the few threads that really need to be capped off. Nothing more can be said to change opinions and all in all it just serves to subvert the principles on which this forum was founded. Play nice!!!
    When it goes over their heads, it really doesn't matter how high it is.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast