Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    byer parachute
    Tarp
    Zeltbahn
    Insulation
    sleeping bag + pad

Is this a disaster waiting?

I had an idea last night in the midst of an insomnia attack.

EDIT: DOES NOT WORK, DO NOT TRY!

The end product is an almost-gathered-end, double layer, 7'x3' (I'm short). I suppose the dimensions can be scaled to whatever you like, and the material could be just about anything. The scale/plans are not the real important part. The bit I'm wondering about, are the ends of the hammock. Would it be possible to braid some paracord together into a large loop, with a smaller loop at the end to hang from some tree huggers? Its not the woopie-sling suspension most of us like, but would it hold everything up without causing ridges or tearing the nylon to shreds? The paracord would be pushed through the channel, and then just kinda left alone. The ends of the channel probably need to be a higher strength of fabric though. Otherwise the weight being put on the edges might be too much for it to hold. I could be wrong though, I've been known to do that from time to time.

EDIT: The reason I chose 7x3 is because I have a hammock that size, and I thought making a smaller one would cut back on the weight. I did not know paracord would stretch out over time. I thought I could braid the rope the same way survival bracelets are made but into a lopsided figure eight. I tried this design with some spare fabric earlier today, and it did shred the edges once weight was applied. if your not sure how the channels are supposed to work, the idea came from a byer hammock. but with just one main cord coming out the sides, instead of several smaller cords.

Last edited by linksgard2; 08-07-2012 at 17:59. Reason: does not work

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Sorry I'm not envisioning your idea, but the reason hangers stay away from para-cord is that it stretches under constant load. Most opt for a low/no stretch option like Amsteel or Dyneema. I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by linksgard2 View Post
    {...} I need some of you hammock engineers to call me an idiot.
    I'm no hammock engineer, but.... I could oblige you if you so demand

{...} braid some paracord together into a large loop {...}
    I'm gonna assume you're just referring to rope in general and that you're aware of the impact of your decision to use this subpar product

{...} Would it be possible to braid some paracord together into a large loop, with a smaller loop at the end to hang from some tree huggers? Its not the woopie-sling suspension most of us like, but would it hold everything up without causing ridges or tearing the nylon to shreds? The paracord would be pushed through the channel, and then just kinda left alone. The ends of the channel probably need to be a higher strength of fabric though. Otherwise the weight being put on the edges might be too much for it to hold. {...}
    Maybe I'm the idiot, and I'm missing the forest because of the trees here, but how are you intending on finishing the channels? Maybe, it would help if you had a sketch indicating your finished channel it would help understand your concern.

Good luck on your journey
    Cheers-
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Your post and diagram shows that you have been thinking about hammocks, that's good. Your concerns:
    #1 paracord - don't do it (from my experience)
    #2 end channels of hammock- you are almost there

allow extra in lenth of fabric to turn ends down at least 5 inches for a 2 inch channel-after turning, run 3 rows of stitching from 1/4 to 1/2 inches apart, and that will strengthen the ends, I used 1" wide poly webbing to run thru my channels, gathered ends to my satisfaction, then overlapped about 4 inches, and stitched several rows of zigzags
    Use leftover webbing for tree straps, and do yourself a favor, order whoopies from one of our members. If you have a garage full of paracord, make survival bracelets, sell on Ebay, and buy whoopies.....easier by far, and much safer. Keep on dreaming, who knows, someday you will become a hammock engineer.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    ...I'm gonna assume you're just referring to rope in general and that you're aware of the impact of your decision to use this subpar product
    I wouldn't call paracord "subpar". It's designed to stretch so that it absorbs the force of a paratrooper's weight yanking on the end when his parachute deploys. It simply isn't suited to hammock hanging for this reason.

Linksgard2: It sounds like you're describing a continuous loop suspension where a loop of cordage (amsteel or dyneema if weight is an issue) is run through the end channel. Most folks form a lark's head with the two ends of the loop, then use a carabiner or other fastener to continue on with the suspension. Maybe I'm not understanding your "ah HAH!" moment...

Doubling up the fabric to form your channels is always a good idea. Best of luck to you!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    At 7' long you had best be very short. Otherwise you will find it too short to be comfortable. What I am having trouble with is the concept of an "almost gathered end" hammock. It sounds as though you are wanting/expecting the channels to remain somewhat open and wider at the ends. In my experience such a result would not happen unless you made a portion of the channels a solid tube so the fabric did not mash up from the load. Alternately, use spreader bars to hold the ends apart. In that case you would be better off using a bridge design. That would allow you to use a much short fabric length. 3' is also very narrow for a gathered end. You would have a very difficult time getting a comfortable flat diagonal lie at that width. Another reason to consider the bridge.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    http://www.theshipinabottle.com/products/Hammocks.htm

Well I'll be danged, I stand corrected......uses for the paracord.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    http://www.theshipinabottle.com/products/Hammocks.htm

Well I'll be danged, I stand corrected......uses for the paracord.
    Match up those paracord toggle ropes with ENO slap straps for a supremely stretchy suspension, almost guaranteed to find yourself on the ground. I do wonder, however, if paracord stretch in minimized by braiding.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    7'x3' isn't likely to work for anything other than a small child. If you want a cheap, quick, easy, no-sew hammock, look into ordering from tableclothsfactory.com.

For more info, see this thread.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    byer parachute
    Tarp
    Zeltbahn
    Insulation
    sleeping bag + pad
    if you have a garage full of paracord, make survival bracelets, sell on Ebay
    Its funner to make these with my garage full of paracord.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Mult...-in-a-Nalgene/

Linksgard2: It sounds like you're describing a continuous loop suspension where a loop of cordage (amsteel or dyneema if weight is an issue) is run through the end channel.
    That was my idea exactly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast