Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Freestone County is still under a burn ban.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Dave we have this discussion every year, they don't update their online status, you have to actually call.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I plan a recon this weekend and I'll verify as well. (They have been great at trimming widow makers each year so time to look again.)
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Unfortunately it looks like I'm out for the TX Hang, which I really wanted to attend. I have a medical issue and the surgeon only has Nov 9 available for the procedure... Minor surgery that will have me down for a few days...

I will be sending some gear for the raffle, hope to make it next year...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Dave we have this discussion every year, they don't update their online status, you have to actually call.
    Deja vu all over again.

Dave - your link is the most accurate one on line, however, as much as it pains me to say this... Tim is right.

There, I got those three words out. It seems some counties report in more regularly than others to update the state map and Freestone is not one of those. I just got off of the phone with Fairfield Lake State park and the park is NOT under a burn ban and hasn't been for some time now so we are good to go on campfires.

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    Unfortunately it looks like I'm out for the TX Hang, which I really wanted to attend. I have a medical issue and the surgeon only has Nov 9 available for the procedure... Minor surgery that will have me down for a few days...

I will be sending some gear for the raffle, hope to make it next year...
    Sorry to hear we'll miss you Paul - take care of yourself and join us in 2013!
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 10-17-2012 at 10:45.

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; buckles
    I did want to mention, I am running into some issues attempting to find places that will allow me to do some harvesting. Its infuriating that it has to be this difficult, and I haven't given up yet. Just I may not have a whole lot of variety for folks to try. I'm sorry.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Don't worry too much about it. I'm sure we will all have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kattelyn View Post
    I did want to mention, I am running into some issues attempting to find places that will allow me to do some harvesting. Its infuriating that it has to be this difficult, and I haven't given up yet. Just I may not have a whole lot of variety for folks to try. I'm sorry.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kattelyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    Don't worry too much about it. I'm sure we will all have a great time!
    Agreed! Show and tell is just as helpful to me as show and taste.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Long Message for everyone, but mostly for first time attendees.

As I was reviewing the posts in this thread, I ran across one where I promised to post answers to some of the frequently asked questions from this year and others, so here we go...

What?
    The 4th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang is group car camping for those who like to bring everything; (the location has showers and porcelain facilities for those who won’t leave home without them); day hikes for those inclined; lake paddling, fishing; pot luck dinners; Dutch oven cooking; DIY play time; lots of show and tell along with a little gear trading; group buys; stove tests; drawings for prizes, and some wonderful campfire fellowship.

When?
    The 4th Annual Texas Fall Group Hang is the second weekend in November, (11/9-11, 2012)

Where?
    Fairfield Lake State Park, Fairfield, TX

How do I sign up?
    Add your name and info to the google doc spreadsheet and participant list

Where can I find park maps, rules, and more information?
    We will be at Fairfield Lake State Park in the Springfield camping area. Reservation of sites is recommended but not necessarily required. Check out the link for more information about the park, fees, rules, and amenities.

What is this going to cost me?
    There are no fees for the group event itself; everyone brings their own food and gear, so the only costs are the state park fees for entrance/day use and camp sites. State parks charge a day use fee that is $4.00 per adult per day. (Children 12 and under are free.) The entrance fee is collected by the Park Service folks at the entry gate. If you have a State Park Pass, this fee is waived for all occupants of the vehicle.

Second there is a camp site fee of $12.00 per night. Camp sites accommodate a maximum of 8 people and 2 vehicles.

How do I reserve a site?
    First one can go to the park website and follow the links to reserve a site. When doing an availability search use the parameters: Tents, Water Only, No Electricity and the default will get you to the area called "Springfield" where we will be camping. You pay for the first night in advance and then upon arrival to the park you pay your entry/day use fees per person and the remaining cost of the campsite for as many nights as you are staying.

Some folks like to do this so they can have the privacy of their own site and not share with an unknown scary looking stranger. And that's completely cool.

Others don't mind sharing a site and splitting the cost and UncleMJM offered to add them to a list of folks for whom he makes the reservation. Upon arrival they still pay the entry fee at the gate and when they get to the camping area they are directed to which site they are sharing. Sometime over the weekend, Alan, who serves as the collection agency/bookie, passes the hat to cover the site costs. A cut off date for making those reservations was set and has passed.

We typically use one site as the main gathering area for campfire and potluck dinners and then spread out to our individual sites the rest of the time.

What do folks do about food?
    Food planning is usually on the top of most folks question list so here are a few tidbits of info: UncleMJM and his date host breakfast on Saturday morning. The breakfast taco fixings will be provided and Oldgringo will have a pot or two of coffee made. Saturday night is traditionally a pot luck dinner with some crazy creative outdoor cooks sharing some good eats. Bring whatever you like and share it. Sometimes there are other meal plans tossed out to the group but usually other meals are on our own. Everyone is responsible for their own plate/bowl/& utensils but if forgotten, there’s usually something paper or plastic brought by someone.

How much food do we need to bring for Saturday for the pot luck; do we need to bring food for 50, or will a side dish of 8-10 servings do?
    Some will fix big pots of food, (chili, soup, stew, gumbo…), but most likely the 8-10 servings concept makes sense. If you are bringing finicky eaters, a good idea is to fix something you know they will like and know that there will be a wide assortment for the adventurous palates in the family.

What about coffee?
    See “oldgringo”.

What’s the deal about Stone Soup and Pound Hawgs?
    See “Randy”.

How many will be attending?
    Last year we were right at 50 folks and the space can accommodate twice that or more. (The first year we had a couple of dozen and the following year over 40.) To date, there are over 90 either committed or indicating an interest in coming.

Should I bring the whole family?
    Yes. This is a great place for kids and first time camping spouses/s.o.

What if I don’t even own a hammock?---but it sounds like a wonderful way to camp.
    It is the best way to camp, however, we also welcome the occasional ground dweller or steel tarp on wheels occupant. If one does not own a hammock, post that to the planning thread and the odds are good someone may offer a spare for “testing”. If it's your first time out and you need help setting up, just ask, someone will be glad to help out. Also frequently folks bring extra gear to sell or trade so it may be a good place to pick up what is needed.

What about firewood?
    State Park rules prohibit gathering of wood. Typically several folks bring wood for the “group camp fire”. For those who like a fire at an individual site, plan on bringing wood or paying for it at the park.

What’s the deal about an Amsteel group buy?
    This year, as in the past, we’ve done a low key group buy that really just gives us a price consistent with what we could also get from one of the HF vendors, we just save on postage, so if you want line before the hang give the business to one of the HF vendors otherwise, UncleMJM will bring what folks ordered to the hang. Although this buy has already closed, in all likelihood, there will be some extra available.

I’m buying line or bringing some, what do I do with it?
    See “Rat” as well as several other folks on site that are experienced splicer’s willing to share their knowledge.

Do I have to wear a name tag?
    All the cool kids are doing it. Usually there are name tag supplies available compliments of “EastTexasHanger”, and it sure helps in large groups, so to avoid an identity crisis go for it if you like.

This is my first group hang, what should I remember to bring?
    Everyone should plan on coming completely “self-contained” as on any camping trip. Group specific things might include a comfortable chair for camp fire lounging, a dish for the Saturday night pot luck, any spare gear you’d like to show off, sell, or trade. Also if you have some item you’d like to donate to the Saturday night drawing feel free to do so.

Where can I find out about rules relating to fishing, alcohol, quiet hours…?
    Nothing wrong with a good brew among friends, just two cautions...
    1. There is a public consumption rule at State Parks.
    2. Remember, this is a family event.
    Here's the link concerning park rules and regulations.

I hear it's ok to shoot coyotes in Texas when walking your dog, right? Or is that just for Governors?
    Good question on the rules. The short answer is that the details can be found here. In the past we've been really good neighbors and not had any issues with section 59.134 Rules of Conduct to include: fires in the wrong places, unattended unregistered vehicles, public consumption of alcohol, public nudity, firearm issues, or unleashed/unattended children or pets.

So, although shooting coyotes while dog walking is as much a part of our culture as hitting armadillos trying to cross the road, it's just not allowed in the State Parks.

I know this was long... I hope it helps.
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 10-17-2012 at 12:41. Reason: found a few typos, missed more I bet

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast