Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HOPTOAD View Post
    I have looked at the SPE but cannot understand how it is easier to get it under you and keep there than a Thermarest would be.
    The SPEs main benefit IMO is the wider width it provides you with the 'wings'. During my first hang when I used the Thermorest - it was just too narrow and I found I had cold spots on either side. Wasn't really an issue because the temps weren't that low but it would have been if it was colder.

I'm actually considering taking an intro to sewing class so I can start doing some DIY stuff like an SPE... My wife thinks I've gone totally bananas

Jim

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    The SPEs main benefit IMO is the wider width it provides you with the 'wings'. During my first hang when I used the Thermorest - it was just too narrow and I found I had cold spots on either side. Wasn't really an issue because the temps weren't that low but it would have been if it was colder.

I'm actually considering taking an intro to sewing class so I can start doing some DIY stuff like an SPE... My wife thinks I've gone totally bananas

Jim
    If I remember correctly, the SPE has some little non-slip pads you can stick on the bottom to help it stay in place. Your shoulders pinning down the thing on the side wings will help also.

Your wife's opinion of you sewing will change when she discovers that you can mend your own clothes (and better still, mend/modify the children's)...

Grizz

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two keys - the spandex on the back of the SPE isn't as slippery as the thermarest material so it doesn't slide around as much. Also, because the wings give you a wider insulated area, you don't have to be exactly down the center of the pad with your arms across your chest to be warm. You can get comfortable w/o getting cold spots and without the pad squirting out from under you...which means less moving, which means less pad squirting, etc.

There's only one pad I didn't need a SPE with - the Downmat 7 holds me up high enough that the hammock doesn't compress the insulation at my sides. Other inflatables of similar thickness could do the same...Big Agnes, for example.

IMO - SPE is the way to go for pads in the hammock. Nothing has a single correct solution, but there's a reason certain products become more popular than others...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Adjusting the ridgline just a few inches can make a BIG difference. Sometimes as little as 2" to 3" can change everything. Also as stated above, putting the foot end of the hang a bit higher than your head will help keep your feet from being jammed to the end of your hammock (Or even hanging off the end)*.

I too would loose the pad & get an underquilt. That said, I have a 1/2 length CCF pad that I use as suplement for colder weather. The CCF pad stays pretty much where I put it.

* Your weight is not centered at your waist, it is (for most) centered at about mid torso, if you hang your hammock level your weight center, will go to the center of the hammock, by hanging your feet a bit higher, you move the "center" of the sag towards the head end. This will take a few tries to get right, but is well worth the effort. A good test: get in the hammock, sit where you will be correctly positioned on the hammock, leave your shoes / boots on the ground, take a nap. When you get up (a few hours?) later, if your feet can slip into your shoes without you fishing for them, you got it right. Sliding down your hammock will take time, so you likely will not notice it (should not notice anyway) in just a few minutes, so be patient.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    If I remember correctly, the SPE has some little non-slip pads you can stick on the bottom to help it stay in place. Your shoulders pinning down the thing on the side wings will help also.

Grizz
    Mine came with some little velcro pads to hold the ends of the wings closed so the pads wont slip out of the wings. It didn't come with any thing for the bottom, and probably does not need anything additional. The bottom is some sort of net like material that seems to grip pretty good.

Also everyone, don't forget another advantage of the SPE is the ease of stacking multiple pads for mucho thickness if and when needed, either full length or just under your torso. I thought this was one of it's major benefits. Nice and thick under your torso when needed, but we usually don't seem to need near as much under our legs. So for instance, for 20*F or so one night, I used a full length Ridgerest supposedly good into the high 30s in a hammock, with a short ThermaRest self inflator "ultralight", 1" thick I think( 25 years old, also rated for high 30s), added to the top. There was abundant warmth provided with this combo, and no trouble staying on top of the two pads. An SPE is a great design for those who like pads but don't have a double layer hammock, or for any one who needs to stack pads.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Mine came with some little velcro pads to hold the ends of the wings closed so the pads wont slip out of the wings. It didn't come with any thing for the bottom, and probably does not need anything additional. The bottom is some sort of net like material that seems to grip pretty good.
    Ah, that's what those little pads were for. As you can tell I haven't used one much.

<incendiary comment>
    Once you're into quilts outside of the hammock, it's hard to go back to pads inside of the hammock.
    </incendiary comment>

Grizz

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    For anyone that uses frameless packs like the ULA Conduit, what about sewing on spandex corner holders. Like what Brian puts in his frameless packs that you can slip your pad into to form a frame sheet.

looks like this
    / \

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234