I've recently discovered the two hammocks I've made so far are probably too short for me (Im 6 ft, 270). I went with 9 ft of 1.9 ripstop in a single layer for the other hammocks. They worked but I have been told and I've read that I should probably have one that is 11 ft (my height plus 4).
I have enough fabric to do this x 2 so I am considering a double thickness hammock.
I am considering doing that because the blue foam pad I put in my others keeps scooting around and crumpling up. It is a pain to keep in one spot and it is just untidy. I've read that a double layer allows you to tuck the pad in between the layers and it makes the overall hammock stronger.
So here is my question. Do I leave one entire side of the hammock open to tuck the pad in or do I mostly sew it closed? If I leave a hole to put the pad in, do I do it in the middle, at the foot, or at the head?
I did a search of the forums and I reread the instructions for making the hammocks but I did not see anything as specific as this.
Any opinions and help is appreciated.
Thanks
-Sarge