Hammock
    DL 1.4 ripstop gathered end
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle

Please review my first DIY hammock order (bug net, hammock, suspension)

To sum things up. I've been bitten by the DIY/MYOG bug recently and I'm looking to try out hammock camping as well so I want to make my own. Just hoping that someone could look over my order of materials before I send it in. $100 shipped seems a bit pricey but I'm definitely a novice and have no idea what to expect.

I still have some strips of leftover noseeum (for making pockets to weight down the bug net), lots of 200D oxford nylon for reinforcements and plenty of gutermann mara from my first MYOG project.

Bug net:
    4 yards noseemum
    scraps for making pockets to weight it down over the edges

Hammock:
    7 yards of 48" wide 1.1 nylon ripstop (double layer hammock)
    30 feet of amsteel blue (7/64) for whipping, "rope carabiners", whoopie sling
    14 feet of 1" polyester webbing for tree straps.
    ridgeline - referenced under "Notes"

Tarp:
    6 yards of 48" wide 1.1 nylon ripstop (will make my own coating of silnylon) -- makes an 8' x 10' hex tarp
    reinforced with scrap oxford or 70D ripstop (urethane)
    I still have plenty of scrap tieout material as well

Other:
    12 feet of tech line - 1.9mm
    70 feet of Amsteel blue - (7/64)

Notes:
    I'm not sure if I should use tech line for guylines or the ridgeline...or both. Would love to get some advice on this. Currently, I'm planning to use 12 feet of tech line for guylines and then just take what I need for the ridgeline from my extra 70 feet of Amsteel blue (just because I like the stuff and want extra).

For reference, I'm roughly 6 feet tall and a 160lbs.

If there are better/cheaper materials to use please let me know. I'd also like a bit of guideance as far as what type of bug net to make...a "cocoon" type that is like a tube that you slide over the hammock or one than drapes over the sides and just hangs there...thinking the latter would be easier to make and easier to use in the field (makes getting in/out easier) but I have no experience with it.

Also, I'm not sure 48" wide is going to be enough for the hammock...if I go with 60" or more then I would make the hammock as well as cut off some of the width for making "snakeskins" (that's what you call them right?)

Thanks a ton in advance for any help I get!

-Jordan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jordo_99; 08-08-2012 at 17:32.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo_99 View Post
    Hammock:
    7 yards of 48" wide 1.1 nylon ripstop (double layer hammock)
    30 feet of amsteel blue (7/64) for whipping, "rope carabiners", whoopie sling
    14 yards of 1" polyester webbing for tree straps.
    ridgeline - referenced under "Notes"
    Looks ok to me, the one thing I noticed is that 14 yards (42 feet) seems a little excessive for tree straps - unless you are stocking up for several setups. I have 1" wide straps, but in my last order I got some 1.5" since it was mentioned in the general forum that some state parks were requiring 1.5" minimum strap width to protect the trees.

BTW - I think the "rope carabiners" are officially called "soft shackles".

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Tech line makes a great ridgeline. No need to go as heavy as Amsteel for that. I am much heavier than you and my 1.9 tech line RL works great. It shouldn't be pulled really tight in the first place if used correctly. You can also conserve Amsteel by using something like gutted paracord for the whipping. Amsteel is pretty slick and I think many folks don't recommend it for whipping the gathered ends. Gutted paracord works perfectly for that.

Many folks like the 11' length for the hammock too. You might want another yard of material for that to allow for hemming. Easier to have a little too much than not enough. That all depends on how long you want the total length of course. I am the same height as you and love my 11 footer, though I am using wider material.

I hope this helps and I hope you have fun with it!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Insulation
    Self-inflating pad
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    You can also conserve Amsteel by using something like gutted paracord for the whipping. Amsteel is pretty slick and I think many folks don't recommend it for whipping the gathered ends. Gutted paracord works perfectly for that.
    +1 on this.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I'd recommend a Fronkey style bugnet with a larger suspension opening on one end with velcro closure or a shock cord closure on that opening. It would basically be a hybrid between the cocoon type you referred to(typically called a bug sock) and the bottom entry Fronkey type. Easy entry and exit and can be pushed back when not needed.

12 feet of tech line isn't near enough for your tarp. Even if you use the amsteel for the ridgeline that only gives you 3 feet per tie out, if you only have four tie outs. That's really gonna limit your set up options. No porch mode for example, and unless you're using prussiks you'll only have about a foot and a half of line to work with.
    I have 6' lines on all my tieouts, using prussiks so I have the entire 6' to work with, and 12' on each ridge tie out.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Have you used a hammock before? While many hammocks are narrow, I much prefer using 60" material to get a good diagonal going. You're going to hem it and lose an inch or more on each side as well.

You're tall enough that I would really consider wider fabric. Just MHO...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I personally would just buy the silnylon 2nds instead of going the diy route. The savings at $15 are minimal, and that's before you even count in what it will cost for silicone and thinner. The added benefit of buying the silnylon is that, if you make the tarp the same planned size, you'll have plenty of silnylon left over for other small projects like stuff sacks and other gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Great information! The bit on the webbing was a typo...I meant feet so I'll update that after I post this.

Also, thanks for the bit on whipping material and length. An extra $3 or so is definitely worth it to be use it's long enough.

I do have a few new questions now:

Is there much advantage of a double layer of 1.1 ripstop over a single layer of 1.4 ripstop? My current reasoning is to be able to use a pad in the hammock to try and flatten it out enough to allow me to sleep on my stomach/side (I sleep well on my back...just not AS well).
    Also, then I could have a "ground-friendly" setup by sewing a couple loops to the underside of the tarp and turn the netting/hammock into a makeshift bivy (not waterproof though)....just trying to think of ways to add more functionality to the gear I take with me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    8x10 flat silnylon
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie/shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I'd recommend a Fronkey style bugnet
    Just looked into it and I'll definitely go that route.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    12 feet of tech line isn't near enough for your tarp...etc
    Yeah, I've switched it to 32 feet 12ish for the ridgeline and 20 for the rest of the tarp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Have you used a hammock before? While many hammocks are narrow, I much prefer using 60" material to get a good diagonal going. You're going to hem it and lose an inch or more on each side as well.
    You're tall enough that I would really consider wider fabric. Just MHO...
    Thanks for the info. I'll go with 60" at the least. I've used hammocks quite a few times before (mostly bridged ones) but never tried to camp with one.

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I personally would just buy the silnylon 2nds instead of going the diy route. The savings at $15 are minimal, and that's before you even count in what it will cost for silicone and thinner..
    I have the silicone/thinner already and have used it to make my own seam sealing in the past...I was just thinking that if I have to mix it and seal seams I might as well do the whole tarp in the process and save a few bucks...still up in the air about it though...I was mostly just trying to stay under $100 for the order (who knows why...nothing special about the $100 mark) and this was going to keep me there.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    And the dollars just start adding up don't they?
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast