Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Ludicrous and ridiculous but Im not done with it yet

After reading a lot on the bridge hammocks, I decided to make one.

First off, I put this in the back yard hammocks, because it is useless for camping as of now. I hope to make some alterations to make it useful, but I wanted to show a picture of the progress.

Second, it was a ridiculous idea to begin with. I should have stuck with the first project idea that came in my head (a DMB based off of Grizz's) but went with this instead. The idea of this one is so my wife and I can share a hammock vs. the two hammocks right next to each other. My original idea was to have some webbing to split the hammock in two pockets. After making this, I don't know how well that would work. But I've gone this far, I'm not going to stop now.

Third, the spreader bars are temporary. They are 60" long and 1.25" in diameter and only something I would take car camping. When I got in the hammock, the spreader bars were vertical and I inched my way back. I was a bit nervous. The hammock looked like it was going to eat me.

I robbed the suspension from my DIY speer style to hang this one up, so things are going to change with that too.

I could call it a dual layer because it does have two layers. The hammock is about 104" wide and 120" long.

After reading about RamblinRev's BEEP mod, I figured that the tension in the bridge goes between the suspension curves instead of between the whipped ends of a regular hammock.

The idea was to take two pieces of ripstop and join them along the long end with a flat fell seam because the seam wouldn't be affected by the strain. The extra layer was put in place in the instance that I was wrong and to keep me from falling on my butt.

Feel free to leave comments, suggestions, or just to laugh at my Frankenstein hammock. I take no offense.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    yippee! I just finished writing up a post on how to make what is probably the lightest bridge hammock possible using cuben, and then see this post on the biggest bridge hammock ever made.

You did exactly right on orientation of the flat-felled seam. There's no threat to that seam.

I'll be real interested to hear how having a two-person bridge works out comfortwise. I see real potential in spooning, side-laying in a bridge is one of its strengths.

If you decide to put endcaps on this, you might also think about installing a rope ladder for entry and exit

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Frankly... if it were me... I would finagle a way to make the entrance via the endcaps. That way the two can crawl in from the ends instead of having to get in over the sides. Not sure I can imagine what that would look like, if the end caps are baggy enuf then an opening in one of them should be easy enuf to prepare and close. Cool beans... I like it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    Third, the spreader bars are temporary. They are 60" long and 1.25" in diameter and only something I would take car camping.
    Well then, I suppose you don't have any shoulder squeeze problems?
    Apparently, signature that I used from 2006 no longer tolerated so now deleted.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'll be real interested to hear how having a two-person bridge works out comfortwise. I see real potential in spooning, side-laying in a bridge is one of its strengths.

If you decide to put endcaps on this, you might also think about installing a rope ladder for entry and exit

Grizz
    I'll update with the comfort levels when I get my wife in it tomorrow.

LOL. Love the rope ladder idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Frankly... if it were me... I would finagle a way to make the entrance via the endcaps. That way the two can crawl in from the ends instead of having to get in over the sides. Not sure I can imagine what that would look like, if the end caps are baggy enuf then an opening in one of them should be easy enuf to prepare and close. Cool beans... I like it.
    Thanks Rev.
    Getting in from the side was... interesting. I like the idea of my wife entering or exiting from the ends. I had a much easier exit that way. I had no idea how I was going to get out of it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well then, I suppose you don't have any shoulder squeeze problems?
    As this is the first bridge hammock I've ever been in, I can't relate with comparable shoulder squeeze with any other bridge. I can say that I was laying VERY flat and didn't feel any squeeze at all. I was only in it for about twenty minutes though. The post-hurricane-Ike mosquitoes were getting pretty bad and I don't have a net on this monster yet.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Anything but ludicrous and ridiculous. Nice Paul Bunyon bridge.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have had in my mind for a while to make a 2 person bridge. I was going to have it pull up in the center though to keep my wife from sliding under my butt.

So when do you get started on the tarp?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    So when do you get started on the tarp?
    Ringling Bros may have an old tent canvas lying around that you could press into service, if you think the coverage would be enuf.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Anything but ludicrous and ridiculous. Nice Paul Bunyon bridge.
    All those in favor of naming this The Paul Bunyon Bridge
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well... My wife and I went out to try to fit inside the hammock. There was fabric to spare. We both were able to spoon but really there was no choice. We rolled right into each other. I tried to rig up some rope to hold up the bottom to split the hammock down the middle so that we wouldn't roll into each other so much. It was still a flat lay and pretty **** comfortable. Perhaps it's a bit too big though... lol.

Right about then was when the spectra snapped. Yep. The spectra that I used for my ring buckles snapped. The spreader bar came flying at us. Lucky I had my arms up at the time ( I was trying to scoot back deeper into the hammock ) or me or my wife would have gotten beaned in the head by it.

I tied a line (loosely) from the spreader bar to the suspension triangle in case it wants to pretend it's a missile again.

I can't tell you if the bottom "ridgeline" worked or not. After falling on my butt twice because of spectra snapping I decided to take it inside for today. I'll rework the ring buckle without the spectra and figure out where to go from there.