Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    The "GOLIATH HAMMOCK"

As a guy said on "Laugh-in" .... "Very interesting" (imagine said with a german accent)

Seriously, I like it...
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

The idea of this one is so my wife and I can share a hammock vs. the two hammocks right next to each other. My original idea was to have some webbing to split the hammock in two pockets. After making this, I don't know how well that would work. But I've gone this far, I'm not going to stop now.
    Great idea! It's not an easy problem to solve. I have also made a two person bridge. It has webbing to divide the two lateral halves.

At first I had a vertical slit between the halves which I planned to use as an entry- sort of like the HH. It doesn't work with the physics of two bodies however. With both people pressing together in the middle, it is difficult to get enough leverage to open the center slit- so don't try that.

Furthermore, my edges are not so high as in your design, so instead of one person rolling to the middle when the other person steps out, the hammock tilted drastically to the side. I didn't anticipate previously just how drastic this tilting would be.

So, stability of a two person hammock when one person has exited remains the biggest design challenge that I am experiencing. I hope to return to the project soon, but am not entirely confidant that it will be entirely successful. When basing success on comfort and weight savings and camping intimacy. Still, I will keep trying also. Best wishes to you!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    You might be really onto something about putting a ridgeline down the middle. Rather than do that, just make two bridges and sew the webbing together, one next to the other. You would not be in the exact same hammock but you would be right next to each other, and four trees would be necessary perhaps, instead of two unless you could come off one side of the tree for one and the other side of the tree for the other. Wow, you've got me thinking. You could do the same thing much easier in putting a gear hammock right next to your bridge and come off the other side of the trees to hang it. Hmm....
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Side by Side Bridges

Rather than do that, just make two bridges and sew the webbing together, one next to the other.
    Yes, but the problem with that is the inward arc of the sides (as viewed from directly above). My approach was to have a single spreader bar at the feet and two spreader bars a the head. Then orient the two individual hammocks so that they intersect at about 15 degrees away from the common spreader at the foot. The area of intersection is cut away (or never added in).

This requires either two trees at the head (a three tree arrangement), or a third spreader at the apex of the two head suspension triangles.

I think the idea has potential, but in practice my first attempt is too unstable when just one person is occupying it.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Update

I'm working on an idea I had to make the hammock more two-person-at-a-time friendly. I thought that grip clips would be a good way to test without making any permanent alterations to the hammock.

Turns out that wasn't a good way to go. Now there is a hole in the side of the hammock. I thought about it when I picked up the grip clips and decided it would be okay as long as I didn't sit in the hammock. Well I must have forgotten that when I set it up cause the first thing I did was sit in it.

Any recommendations on how to patch it up without messing up the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You might try the tape linked in the second post of this thread...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4873
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12