WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Only hike during the fall, winter and spring down here. So always have something available. Even my fulltime hammock has insulation.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, MSH
    Been doing some Florida "summer hiking." This has been the subject of a lot of discussion. The best analogy I've heard is consider what you do in your own home. At what point on your thermostat do you pull the sheets up at night? Most folks tend to be fine until they get into the low 70's. For me, if the nightime lows are above 75 i don't need anything. 75 - 65 a fleece blanket under me. Below that a pad or UQ
    "Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"

(Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.)

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    As an Asst Scout Master, "Be Prepared". Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    i can go down to 70 with a polar fleece sleeping bag. UQ < 70.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Didn't bring or need any in the jungles of Borneo. But then it was never below 25°C (that's about 77F for you colonials out there).
    Otherwise I always bring and almost always need under insulation.

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    After reading this thread and noticing the weather going to be in low 60s maybe upper 50s. I'm pack my sleeping pad for this weekend's trip. I originally planned to ditch the pad, but now I'm having second thoughts. I think I'll pack it to ensure a warm night of sleeping.

Edit: I still only plan to take a fleece blanket, base layer, and my Marmot jacket to sleep in since I do not have a summer bag.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwchannell89 View Post
    After reading this thread and noticing the weather going to be in low 60s maybe upper 50s. I'm pack my sleeping pad for this weekend's trip. I originally planned to ditch the pad, but now I'm having second thoughts. I think I'll pack it to ensure a warm night of sleeping.

Edit: I still only plan to take a fleece blanket, base layer, and my Marmot jacket to sleep in since I do not have a summer bag.
    You should be okay with the pad and that for top insulation. However, if the weather report is off by ten degrees (which happens, and is what I plan for) in the cooler direction, you may have a cold night.

I'd be a little chilly in the low-fifties/high-forties with just a baselayer, a fleece, and a jacket, and I'm a pretty warm sleeper. Just an heads-up. If you're really tied into that, see if you can use your tarp as a windbreak; the fleece will perform much better if it isn't being hit by the wind.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    GTSBP
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, MSH

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    for me anything below 70 i use it, but i always bring it. just the other nite we hit 60 at nite with 90 degree days.
    Just came back from a hang in North Alabama. Expecting mid 60s at night and we had a fluke 55 degrees in the middle of August in the South! Doesn't sound like much but when you're hanging that can be awful. Just ask the five guys I was out there with. Fortunately all had pads or a fleece but all were chilled on top. 75 degrees is my min before insulation but as Kayakkarl said and I echo, always bring something.
    "Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"

(Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.)

Hammock
    Raven by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Suspension
    Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    You should be okay with the pad and that for top insulation. However, if the weather report is off by ten degrees (which happens, and is what I plan for) in the cooler direction, you may have a cold night.

I'd be a little chilly in the low-fifties/high-forties with just a baselayer, a fleece, and a jacket, and I'm a pretty warm sleeper. Just an heads-up. If you're really tied into that, see if you can use your tarp as a windbreak; the fleece will perform much better if it isn't being hit by the wind.
    That the thing, I just got out of college so I haven't been able to buy a lot of gears I like to have. . I only have a 15 degree Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina sleeping bag. The Ultra Lamina is quarter zipped only, so I cannot unzipped it to my feet for venting in case I get too hot. So I'll either be very hot in the sleeping bag or potentially be cold with just base layer and fleece blanket. I cannot predict the wind. Our campsite is at 3,000 feet give or take and we're starting at 6,600.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwchannell89 View Post
    That the thing, I just got out of college so I haven't been able to buy a lot of gears I like to have. . I only have a 15 degree Mountain Hardwear Ultra Lamina sleeping bag. The Ultra Lamina is quarter zipped only, so I cannot unzipped it to my feet for venting in case I get too hot. So I'll either be very hot in the sleeping bag or potentially be cold with just base layer and fleece blanket. I cannot predict the wind. Our campsite is at 3,000 feet give or take and we're starting at 6,600.
    I know this is probably a silly question, but can you sleep under both layers of the sleeping bag? That way, you could stick a leg or an arm out for venting.

Or, if you have an extra $30, see if you can score yourself a poncho liner. They're good down to about 45 F for most folks and aren't terribly heavy (22 oz is the usual quoted spec).

If not, WallyWorld sells a 40" x 60" fleece throw (about 100 wt) for $3 that works tolerably well to boost the temp rating of a top quilt. I used one last "winter" down here (as low as 21 F) to supplement my poncho liner, and it worked pretty well; I got probably an extra five to ten degrees of warmth out of it.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234