Staying warm in the NX250

So far, my new NX250 has been treating me well, but I have a problem...

I have a slight allergy to polyester. Not enough for it to be dangerous, but enough for it to be an annoyance. And you don't really get sleeping bags made without polyester lining nowadays. My traditional tenting solution has been to use a liner made in silk or cotton, but my experience so far has been that using a separate liner does not work in a hammock. You just have to spend way too much time trying to position it right, etc, it's simply not worth it.

So what I'm thinking is: UQ and wool blanket. Since the UQ is on the outside, it doesn't really matter what it's made of. But how far down temperature-wise can I expect this solution to work?

Also, which UQ should I chose? Price, weight, volume are all important factors, and it would be nice if the UQ would work with other hammocks as well if I decide to expand, given that UQs seems to be almost as expensive as the hammocks themselves.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You are mistaken about the fabric in sleeping bags and quilts. It may be polyester in many cases, but the light and lightest are polyamid, which is nylon, not polyester. So, you should be able to get a quilt made of a fabric not so different than what the hoods and pockets of the NX-250 are made of.

If you cannot, you might do what RAB did with some of their bags: Made abroad, and then filled with down in the home country, in that case the UK. You might contact an American quilt maker and ask if they will make and sell you an unfilled quilt, which should have dramatically import lower duties on it.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Out-of-the-box idea?

Check with some of our cottage folks, like Adam & Jenny at Hammock Gear. If you could provide a piece of silk fabric they might be able to make a TQ for you. No guarantees from me - I was just brainstorming.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    You are mistaken about the fabric in sleeping bags and quilts. It may be polyester in many cases, but the light and lightest are polyamid, which is nylon, not polyester. So, you should be able to get a quilt made of a fabric not so different than what the hoods and pockets of the NX-250 are made of.
    Hmmm.... I actually didn't know that there were polyamide liners in some sleeping bags. I guess I can give it a try, given that a sleeping bag which doesn't give me allergic reactions would also benefit me when using my tent.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    DemostiX - perhaps it would be more helpful if you addressed Debolaz's question and suggested which UQs and/or sleeping bags offer a polyamide lining?

Debolaz, because you mentioned price was an factor you may benefit from a polyamide/nylon trial before spending money on an UQ or sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Debolaz, because you mentioned price was an factor you may benefit from a polyamide/nylon trial before spending money on an UQ or sleeping bag.
    I know that polyamide is safe for me, practically all my inner clothing has polyamide in it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    DemostiX - perhaps it would be more helpful if you addressed Debolaz's question and suggested which UQs and/or sleeping bags offer a polyamide lining?
    Because, Cuthalion, Debolaz could infer that if I recommended buying a shell, the default fabric from every US maker with a sub-Forum here, (and other quilt makers who don't yet have one) uses nylon for inner and outer layers. Debolaz may need to specify that the baffles not be made of polyester noseeum. And maybe that the thread be nylon rather than polyester.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-10-2012 at 00:13.

Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi
    For winter camping, a wool blanket is probably insufficient as a top quilt, unlesss it is very thick (which means very heavy!)

As far as the warmth from the TQ is concerned, treat it exactly as you would while tent camping. Assuming you had an appropriate pad underneath you, would a wool blanket be sufficient on top?

For me when camping in the 0 degree Celcius range, I want at least 2-3 inches of loft on top. However, depending on how weight and weather concious you are there are plenty of TQ material choice available. In the worst case scenario you could use a cotton or silk duvet cover with a single/childrens size down comforter inside. Obviously that won't hold up like nylon/poly will and might be heavier, but it is an option.

However, I agree that it shouldn't be a problem to get one of the cottage guys to make you something custom, and I further agree that you will save a lot of $ in shipping and duties by filling the down locally.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'll try again: Except for leaving the quilt unfilled to markedly reduce the duties the OOP would face by importing a finish product, there is nothing custom about what the several quilt makers need to do. Except quote a price for an unfilled quilt.
    Hungarian down isn't improved by being shipped twice across the Atlantic.

On top quilt: Comfort matters. My experience is that 40F / 5C of covering, rather less than 50mm of loft, is far more than enough at 0C if the bottom of a Clark is well covered with an underquilt. That depends, of course on controlling drafts up top.

OP might also check with companies such as RAB, based in the UK. I believe the microfibers they use in their better bags and quilts are all polyamid = nylon. But, with hi zoot brand names, like Pertex.

Hammock
    clarke Nx 250/ woodsman x ?
    Tarp
    ML Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    ukhammocks modular
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutch kit

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post

If you cannot, you might do what RAB did with some of their bags: Made abroad, and then filled with down in the home country, in that case the UK. You might contact an American quilt maker and ask if they will make and sell you an unfilled quilt, which should have dramatically import lower duties on it.
    i agree get in touch with www.ukhammocks.co.uk talk to matt he will do almost anything to help out explain the problem and i am certain he will full fill your needs
    "THE FINAL STEPS WHICH WE MAKE IN LIFE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MOVE SLOWLY"... r. s. g . 1966

• + New Posts