DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies

whoopie sling conversion

I've watched a couple of videos about how to put whoopie slings on a hennesy and finally realized you need a specially built sling where the fixed eye is farther away from the adjustable loop. My question is why? Why can't someone just larkshead the sling through the hole furthest from the hammock body? Why do we need that fancy wrap around?

Would appreciate any answers.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Taking a guess that it would help relieve some stress against the holes that run through the Hennessy. As it is, I watched two vids and aftewards it was a less than 15 minute job while watching TV to swap the stock Explorer suspension to the Whoopie Slings system. I could probably do the whole thing in 8 minutes. Looking at how they burned through the ends where it's gathered the extra wraps look like they will be partially supportive and prevent it from moving around.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the reply. I had some whoopie slings I had made awhile back and I was hoping they'd work, but if I want to do those wraps, I think I'm going to have to make some custom slings because it put the bury too close unless I get that extra length in there.

I believe that some sellers of whoopie slings add an extra foot of fixed end line to allow you to tie the HH prussic knots to the Whoopie to hold the tarp. These prussics are on the stock HH suspension lines. You cannot tie them to the adjustable part of the whoopie, as the tension of the tarp would interfere with adjusting the whoopie length. If you are going to tie your tarp suspension line separately from the hammock suspension, you do not need the extra length of whoopie line.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ag1024 View Post
    I believe that some sellers of whoopie slings add an extra foot of fixed end line to allow you to tie the HH prussic knots to the Whoopie to hold the tarp. These prussics are on the stock HH suspension lines. You cannot tie them to the adjustable part of the whoopie, as the tension of the tarp would interfere with adjusting the whoopie length. If you are going to tie your tarp suspension line separately from the hammock suspension, you do not need the extra length of whoopie line.
    Thanks for that tip. Very interesting. I usually use a separate ridgeline for my tarps, but this still might be a good option to have. Also, I find that I need some extra length in whoopie line to be able to properly wrap the suspension as I've seen it done in youtube videos.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Most of the "stock" whoopie slings out there are long enough to get at least 3 wraps on and still be able to use the slings effectively. The only reason that they usually add on the additional length is to allow the prussics to be put on.

You might contact one of the vendors to get their thoughts. You might also take a look at the PIF thread, and potentially try to do an exchange for another set of whoopies with someone that are long enough, or something along those lines.

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    I bought some from arrowhead and they were just barely long enough to work with my HH. I dont know if they make them extra long or not though. Sounds like you make your own anyways though good luck!

• + New Posts