Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Depending on the material you can keep it taught between the front and back of the feed dogs and it will almost pull the material such that there isn't a curve, and its just like sewing an uncurved piece. Utilizing all the above provided info will help as well -
    note, this may not work with ALL materials, only those that have a certain amount of stretch to them.
    oh, and depending on the amount of stretch, you might end up with what looks like the material is trying to "roll" into the curve - this just means you pulled a bit too tight.
    at least all of this is true in my experiences - ymmv
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Practice on some long scraps, if you can.
    Keep the hems small (1/4-3/8ths wide), work in short (2-3 inch) sections, stopping often to fold and follow the curve. You basically stair step your way around with the hem. Due to the curve, it is near impossible to get a smooth, traditional looking hem. It will be a little jagged looking. Because of this jagged look, many choose to cover the hem with grosgrain.

Grosgrain comes in different thicknesses and material design. Some work better than others for bending. Some GG comes prefolded.

There are attachment feet available, but those come with thier own learning curve.
    Edgestitch foot
    Bias binder foot
    Good demo, bad music.
    Bias tape (as demo'd in this vid) isnt gg, but the principle is the same. The foot holds the gg in check as you sew.

Other attachments bolt on-
    sail-rite
    So what is what that box full of extra feet and hardware is for. Maybe I need to read the directions. LOL
    Oh, and thanks for the music, THAT I WILL NEVER GET OUT OF MY HEAD NOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I think I understand now. Short stitch length, regular straight stitch line, short sections to be sure everything is in line, and finally keep the hem short.
    Y'all are the best.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    So what is what that box full of extra feet and hardware is for. Maybe I need to read the directions. LOL . <snip>
    "its own learning curve", mentioned earlier, is so true. The first times you use some (all?) of the attachments you can't believe they are carefully engineered and were developed over decades to be the way they are. But, then, that's what you thought of the sm when most of your efforts without them resulted in hair balls. There's no substitute for enough practice for you to not understand why it was so difficult at the beginning.

That said, the Grant who makes the demo videos for the company says in one of them that they sell a ton of double-sided seam tape. But, we're so hard core. <smile> No tape, no attachments.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    That said, the Grant who makes the demo videos for the company says in one of them that they sell a ton of double-sided seam tape. But, we're so hard core. <smile> No tape, no attachments.
    "Grant" is a shill for the sewing machine repair association. That sutff will gum up a machine like nobody's business, except the repair mans. If you can get it to work without sewing it can be great. But don't sew through it. That gum goo goes every where.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    But, then, that's what you thought of the sm when most of your efforts without them resulted in hair balls. There's no substitute for enough practice for you to not understand why it was so difficult at the beginning.
    Now THERE is something I can reliably sew. Hairballs!! I tell you, if it can be sucked into the feed dogs or into the bobbin area I can do it. There is nothing like the wonderful feeling of completing a long seam and snipping that last bit of thread to admire your work, only to find a giant hairball on the underside and not a single proper stitch..... Good times!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resqsarge03 View Post
    There is nothing like the wonderful feeling of completing a long seam and snipping that last bit of thread to admire your work, only to find a giant hairball on the underside and not a single proper stitch.....
    Been there, done that, got the tee shirt with hairballs to prove it!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL, 1.1SL traveler
    Tarp
    Edgespin,HGcubenPL
    Insulation
    HG Custom's x10
    Suspension
    Slings
    Short stitches are absoutly more helpful, but on cuben fiber its very important to use a wider stitch. With less holes it make less of a preferated area to tear. Anywhere its cuben on cuben i use the wider stitch then go back to normal.
    Ultralite Gear and Apparel

Lukesultralite.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I've never used cuben... so I may be off base. I thought cuben was best joined with glue or tape and not stitches. Educate me in case I get foolish and try a cuben project.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I thought cuben was best joined with glue or tape and not stitches. Educate me in case I get foolish and try a cuben project.
    This is the thread that I checked out when I put together my Lawson cuben tarp.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=tape

The ridgeline and corners turned out well, the side pull-outs not so much. I must have done something differently with them (maybe didn't prime the patches??) because I wanted to move them a little further down, and the cuben patches peeled right off! Gotta try those again....
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings

Angry

"Grant" is a shill for the sewing machine repair association. That stuff (seam tape) will gum up a machine like nobody's business
    Dear God, yes! The first time I tried rolling a hem on some polyester taffeta I used this stuff because I was too lazy to place a ton of needles. It was like sewing through leather, there was so much friction. I had to clean the needle with denatured alcohol every few minutes so it wouldn't punch the fabric down into the feed dogs when it snagged.

The second (and last) time I tried using it was on some mosquito netting, because needles couldn't secure the gossamer material (kept falling out). NEVER AGAIN! Because the netting wasn't a "solid" material like the polyester, the gunk melted out onto the feed dogs, base plate, needle, needle threader, and even the front of the machine where the fabric slides up. Even my hands needed cleaning by the end.

(In fairness, it was very humid, which caused the tape to melt more, but still)

TCB

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12