WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

yet another bridge question

One more question....................Iknow the rule of thumb is to make the spreader bar 75% of the hammock width------my question is, what happens if you exceed that----say 80 or 85 % of hammock width? (Im sure some one out there has tried it!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    There is a move on in DIY-land initiated by BER I think to make the ratio of spreader-bar width to hammock width larger. This flattens out the hammock near the shoulders, but also decreases the distance between the hammock's center of mass under load and the axis of rotation.

The last hammock I made was 46" finished under a 36" spreader bar. I like it, but am also quite comfortable with the way the bridge rotates as I move within it. I'm sure I unconsciously compensate for it in the way I make the movements.

One of the ramifications of making the width of the hammock closer to the spreader bar width is to increase the effective force on the webbing or suspension, and to increase the compression force on the spreader bar.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I'm not gonna lie when I start reading a post by Griz its like watching Bill Nye the science guy or Beakmans World. I'm at the edge of my seat when reading.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Steve
    ....What Grizz said. It flattens the hammock across the shoulder. Maybe it is slightly more tippy though I have not had any issues. And although it may put more stress on the fabric, suspension and spreaders, I again, have not had issues.

I like to express it as a ratio of fabric with to spreader bar length, though a percentage would be fine too. The below table is one I have posted previously and is a comparison between a couple of different bridges. It is by no means a comprehensive survey.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks for the info! Lots to think about today.................................
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts