Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Hmmm, slightly heavy, but at least I don't have to replace the stock rope.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I'm on my second DD hammock, I had a 1st generation model, and the tapes were terrible, they never stoppped stretching, so I replaced them with 9mm climbing rope, the static type, on the new one the first thing I did was replace the tapes, with the same rope, I use the Hitchcraft cleats, on both my hammock and my ridge line, no knots , great bit of kit.

BTW the new tarp is pretty good, 3mx3m quite quiet, 19 (I think tie loops), best of all its half the weight of the original about 650 grams.

I had them out this weekend down in Dumfries, it got quite wet and windy, going on gale force, they handled it with no problems, tarp was easy to shake off (get rid of surface water) before packing.

Stephen

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    if the tapes are nylon you can pretty much forget about them stretching out. Nylon has a very good memory. In other words... it can stretch and stretch and pretty much go badsk to the original length. That makes it excellent for fully dynamic uses, but it means they suck for static use pecause they repeat the same stretch over and over. If they are nylon replace them with polyester (first choice but pricier) or polypropolyne (stretches more but is cheaper and not as bad as nylon.)
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adoby View Post
    But has anyone else kept using the original tapes? And will they stop stretching? I suppose they must?
    Replace the tapes. I have had both models of the DD, and those tapes are bad, and heavy. They also wick water, so in the rain they become sodden and draw water towards the ends of your hammock. If you replace the tapes with a decent climbing rope or polypropelene rope like the Clark has, you will save enough weight to make up for the weight of the hitchcraft rope ties.

I just switched over recently to the hitchcraft for my Clark lines, and once you figure it out, it's even easier than your bowties and much more secure and adjustable - around the tree and around the "button" on the rope tie, and it's locked in place. Then you can fiddle with it easily to get the right tension in your hammock. Yes, it's an extra piece, but you can leave it attached to your suspension lines and you will never have to worry about losing them. They do look big when you get them, but I really, really, really, really like the hitchcraft monster rope tie. It saves a lot of time, just make sure you follow the directions/get the ropes in the right directions per the instructions so that when you put a load on the device, it works as intended - very important.

It's very hard to explain, but these hitchcraft rope ties are awesome!

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock / Bivy
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Images
    Replacement it is then...

But I'll still use the tapes around the tree to make certain I avoid damage to the trees.

I'll be hammocking in my own woods as well...

Will try first with the original tapes around the trees, and static rope to the hammock. Karabiners to attach and work as drip rings.

A.
    Last edited by Mr Adoby; 10-20-2008 at 00:28.

Hammock
    2010 DD Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    thermo ether 6
    Suspension
    SMC Rings/25mmPoly
    Images
    Hi guys, I tried the 2010 DD with the original tape and slowly went to the ground. So up to the local chandelry and got 2x 4m lengths of 6mm spectra rope then off to a nut and bolt place to get 4 stainless triangle rings to try out. I cut off 1m of the original tape chucked the rest (I also keeped that 1m theaded in the Hammock too). Threaded on 2 tri rings, used a blood knot to tie it, poked the knot into the hammock but not to far in and works great rock solid. But I will try and get some descent 25mm/1 inch seat belt webbing, I prefer that stuff jmp. For the loop on the spectra I used a bowline. And found that putting the rope around the rings twice before going between the rings made a better bite on the rope and still easy to adjust.
    PS: On my other hammock I use 50mm/2 inch seatbelt webbing and its much easier to use and very easy to realese better than the spectra rope. I find the spectra rope a bit fiddly and hard to let go sometimes or am I getting to old.
    Jeff's Touring Gear
    http://jeffstouringgear.com.au/ for light weight touring and camping gear for your next adventure in Australia [email protected] 02-66815651

Hammock
    DD FrontLine
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Stock
    I think you guys may convince me to switch, but I've used my original webbing for about a year now. (I tie bow knots well!) As a true hammock newbie, when I first got my travel hammock I tied it up outside and started taking naps. It stretched considerably at first, but eventually stopped doing so.

I confess; if it is'nt broke, I usually don't fix it.

Since the webbing is flat I took Pringles lids (hope you guys have Pringles in Europe) from my kids snacks, and punched slits in them with my knife to match the webbing size. Just slide the lids over the webbing to where you want the rain to stop; they make excellent drip rings, cost nothing (if you have kids, you're already buying snacks), and they recycle alittle plastic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123