Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip

HH Monsoon Rainfly

Anyone had any experience with the Monsoon Rainfly? I think my wife just ordered me one for Christmas. Just checking to see if I should thank her...LOL Just Kidding. Any info on this system would be great.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I bought the typhoon recently and have only had the chance to use it once...so far, I'm happy with it. my only complaint is one of the doors lacked the velcro for closing.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out when I get it. Hopefully I wont have to send it back.

Images
    I almost bought one, but went with Warbonnet's superfly instead. Looks like a solid tarp though, Hennessy is a good name.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My wife has one. Used it all summer in what turned out to be a very rainy year. She LOVES it. I've used it once as well, and will be using it for winter camping this year. It fits tightly around the hammock, but the coverage is great. Nothing gets in.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    It works well for a minimalist tarp. If you want to use the doors it must be hung low or on the hammock suspension as the doors are on piece of material with a slit in the top. The attachment of the doors is well designed the loops and toggles work well and each side of the doors had 2 strips of velcro a few inches long. I have the silnylon version, if it wasn't greatly discounted in their 2012 October sale I would have passed.

One of my doors is sticky from the coating and I'm unsure how to fix that, HH wasn't that helpful when I spoke to them about it on the phone. For now I've just been pitching the tarp with the one door and the open side away from the wind.

Overall it's OK, there is only 42" - 44" for the sidewalls, I plan on a bigger tarp later. For about the same weight you can a larger tarp with greater coverage.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have a Typhoon I bought awhile ago. I set it up to see if it leaked, I hung under it for a few minutes, decided it was too dark and too heavy feeling. Way worse than my heaviest tent, I put it away and have only recently dug it out to sell it.

I built a winter tarp for myself with doors that I really like and I do not feel too enclosed.

There are so many types of gear for Hangers, because we all have different wants and needs and fantasies about our gear.

The only thing that matters is how you feel about your choice of gear.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    [QUOTE=dirtwheels;1150942]
    One of my doors is sticky from the coating and I'm unsure how to fix that, HH wasn't that helpful when I spoke to them about it on the phone. For now I've just been pitching the tarp with the one door and the open side away from the wind.

I have found with sewing that some of my supposedly high quality Silnylon, leaves a silicone feel and my hands and thread injector. I clean my thread injector with alcohol wipes, gets rid of the excess silicone. I have used alcohol and a surgical gauze square to clean off some of my new gear that seems like it has a bit too much slick stuff.

I would try alcohol in a small unimportant area. Maybe just wiping with a clean cotton absorbent cloth would take care of your problem without any risk of damage. I washed my GoLite Silnylon tarp that my son spilled lamp oil on with a very mild non detergent soap, it came through the wash with its coating in tact (thank heavens, I did not want to have to re-seal that much fabric).

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Great idea for a minimalist tarp. I'll def give that a try as well. Thanks

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the idea, is that GoLite tarp the poncho? If so how do you like it and how well does it keep you dry?

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I have found with sewing that some of my supposedly high quality Silnylon, leaves a silicone feel and my hands and thread injector. I clean my thread injector with alcohol wipes, gets rid of the excess silicone. I have used alcohol and a surgical gauze square to clean off some of my new gear that seems like it has a bit too much slick stuff.

I would try alcohol in a small unimportant area. Maybe just wiping with a clean cotton absorbent cloth would take care of your problem without any risk of damage. I washed my GoLite Silnylon tarp that my son spilled lamp oil on with a very mild non detergent soap, it came through the wash with its coating in tact (thank heavens, I did not want to have to re-seal that much fabric).
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast