HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles

HH with rings

I am new to the forum and recently switched from an ENO DN with whoopies to a HH Expedition. I have been looking around quite a bit about suspension and keep seeing people advising against using the stock rope through a pair of rings. I know I saw trekkingnut's video and read the entire thread about rings and went with the video's recommendation. I see alot of posts saying that by running the webbing through the rings without a knot, people were experiencing slippage. I don't see alot of firsthand knowledge or incidents where people have seen the weakness or damage to the stock ropes going directly through the rings. I have been doing it in this method and haven't noticed any damage yet. Has anyone had personal experience or been put on the ground using this method?

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I've used this method for a bit - I found that a back up was best as security. I've never been grounded but have had some slippage. Also, continous usage does show wear on the rope from pinching it over and over. No true damage but I have switched to whoopies for some and found greater ease of use and weight savings.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    Yeah, I always use a slippery half hitch behind the rings as added protection. I guess if I start to see wear I can replace the stock rope with the rings and put the webbing through the rings like most folks do.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Four Season
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ 72"
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings

HH w/ rings

As long as I put a half hitch as a followup, I have not had any issues. I'll keep an eye on rope wear.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    Man it's good to know there are a few people using the same method I am. I guess we might all hit the ground at the same time, but at least I'm not alone.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I may be one of the few people here that tried whoopies and switched back to the stock lines with rings. Have a little slippage but find that wrapping line around rings with a couple half-hitches work well.

Had a hard time tightening and loosening the whoopies....

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I may be one of the few people here that tried whoopies and switched back to the stock lines with rings. Have a little slippage but find that wrapping line around rings with a couple half-hitches work well.

Had a hard time tightening and loosening the whoopies....
    I use rings as well, and on the HH ExUL the stock suspension lines are 'small' enough that I almost couldn't use the rings due to the amount of slippage (dang near wouldn't hold any weight). I tried putting the rings in a 'biner, webbing loop, looping the lines one extra loop, etc, etc, etc but I could never keep it from slipping. I was all about to give up thinking that I was either a total idiot and couldn't figure out the simplest of knots/lashings, or was just using incompatible equipment, when it hit me... all of the previous attempts allowed the unlashed side (the side inside the 'biner) to expand based on the tension on the lashed side.
    So I reorganized everything so that my rings were approx 6" from the whipping, rather than attached to the tree huggers - and then put a clove hitch on the side of the rings closest to the whipped end, and then run my line through the 'biner attached to the tree hugger then back to the rings, normal lashing - never had a slip.... yet -
    The beauty of this setup is that everything is under my tarp, so I don't have to get wet to adjust my hang if I needed to.
    One note, I come from a climbing background, and I have issues with attaching a flat webbing strap to a round rope without some sort of low-friction point ('biner) that will address the incompatible tension devices(rope{round}/webbing{flat}). This prevents a scenario where the webbing (under load) could act as a straight edge into the sheath or core of the rope, and possibly severing it. Its probably a low risk deal, but I've seen too many bad setups on the rock where someone used round with flat and damaged the round with the flat
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

I have been using rings on mine and my wifes HH safari and expedition. I got a set of really fat aluminum rings, not the skinny steel ones I have seen. I think that the larger fatter rings makes it easier on the rope, and we have not seen any damage (and I weigh 310 pounds) in 2 years.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I also use the larger aluminum rings with a biner. I learned the technique by watching this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetRivrRat View Post
    . So I reorganized everything so that my rings were approx 6" from the whipping, rather than attached to the tree huggers - and then put a clove hitch on the side of the rings closest to the whipped end, and then run my line through the 'biner attached to the tree hugger then back to the rings, normal lashing - never had a slip.... yet -
    WetRivrRat, How did you attach your rings to the hammock? I think I have your set up visualized, but would love a pic if u ever think of it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast