Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HURTHEART View Post
    What difference does gender make? What does it matter whether you are male or female? If people just Hanging out is only for males, why would that be? Is it something to do with chromosones?

I probably look feminine on first look, however, I started back packing back in the 60's, I have many interests and I refuse to let my gender slow me down. I have had so many fights about "Girls can not do that". Just when I think things are changing, and I find a place where my gender or someone other persons gender is unimportant, we are all just interested in Hammock, and being outside.

If you are interested join, do not spend what is left of your life standing on the side lines, wanting to be a part of something.

Ya, I know be NICE.

I am proud of all the dads, uncles, brothers and other males that are getting the young girls out of the house and into a healthy environment, teaching their female charges to grow up to be real ladies.

Amy Vanderbelts definition of a lady---A Lady always Acts Appropriate to the Situation she is in. That is what I taught my daughters. Both are decidedly ladies, they both know how to have fun, go after what they want, they wear dresses and have social graces. They also are very able to take care of their own self.

Do not waste your time worrying about what "whoever" will think, that is just a way to keep people from reaching their full potential.
    Right-On Sister!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    the wife is a hanger,,but not a forum member..so add another one to the list or count.
    +1 Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner & TQ
    Suspension
    All-in-one Whoopie
    Images
    Hi! Like you, I was wondering if there were many (any?) women hangers out there! Good to know there are some!

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Edie,

I for one, understand your concerns.
    If I were the only man at an all female hang I would fear for my personal safety,....especially after I asked them to make me a sammich!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    Edie,

I for one, understand your concerns.
    If I were the only man at an all female hang I would fear for my personal safety,....especially after I asked them to make me a sammich!
    I can guarantee you would be in grave danger....
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Female here Of course I take my son with me, so I'm not entirely by myself, but I'd go anyways. I find most, not all, but most of the people that you meet on group hangs are very nice, will look out for each other, and are genuinely caring individuals that are respectful towards nature and each others well being. There is usually enough "good" there that it drives others to want to be better. The "good" is very contagious.

I do get as much information as I can about the hang location, and print of the names of those who are planning to attend and they're phone numbers to give to my husband. He also has my login information for the forum. This all helps him feel a bit more secure with me going, and it's a sort-of silly measure to take should I not show up home when I'm supposed to You just don't know anymore, so you do what you can to be safe. If your licensed to carry and legally allowed in a certain area, then do it, if not...then Know your knife. Just common sense stuff. If you get scared of your own shadow, then take some self defense classes to feel more secure with your own self. Doesn't mean you'll need it, it'll just help with your own confidence.

I know, I know, your next question is why isn't he going with me. For 1, we have 10 dogs, so someone has to be home to dog sit. For 2, he is not as outdoorsy as I am and I want my son to learn some of this stuff, as I feel it's important. For 3, it is a nice, small break for me and it helps my mood.....which makes everyone in my house happy

For the most part, I notice that we are a bit of a different group of people. Not all naturalist, not hippies, not survivalist, can't quite put my finger on it...except that the hammock community is in it's own uniqueness of kind individuals with each bringing something different to the group. Not to be completely mislead, just as with any community, you get your nut once in a while, but the good out weights your bad apple. The uniqueness of everyone out weights it too. I love the uniqueness of everyone. So many different strengths, live stories, experiences, and quite a colorful group of characters if you will, very accepting of individualist differences.

Respect your fellow female hangers, they've worked hard to do this and sure do appreciate another female presence that is out there doing the same thing. You'll also find that if you reach out and PM a fellow female hanger with a problem, that they are there to help you through whatever. For the most part we are not the "A typical corporate female" waiting to lash your throat. We want to see you succeed.

Go, enjoy yourself, take a friend until you get used to some in the group, be the strong, proud female that you are and get out there. Always use some common sense safety measures, like I listed above, and just have a good time Don't miss out on what could become a great life experience.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    my girl friend is a new hanger and she loves it.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by 720fly View Post
    Ok cool enough, guess chicks should have the right
    Kinda screams " penis envy " LOL
    With a GoGirl or other like products out there now, including DIY, there is no longer any "penis envy", just takes a little more time and grace for us to write our name in the snow

A lot of us use this http://www.instructables.com/id/Simp...-women-and-tr/ Easy to make, can fit flat in your pocket, can make 2 out of one sheet and you get 2 sheets at Dollar Tree for a buck. That's 4 for $1 to keep in your bug out bag, vehicles, or where ever. I do find that reinforcing the seam with some pretty colored duct tape to be beneficial, especially in winter when it becomes a bit more brittle. I have a GoGirl and like the DIY a lot better.

I think we should have a female educational thread area.
    Last edited by DivaB; 08-21-2012 at 11:50.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Although I am the only "member" of the forums my whole family hangs. Down to the three year old girl. Just check at the hang you are planning on attending before arrival.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' Cobalt / Burgundy.
    Tarp
    Homemade Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    I'm more scared of bears and snakes than people (I probably should rethink that?)
    Lady hanger here. But exact opposite. More afraid of people than I am bears or snakes or anything in the wild. People are unpredictable. I'm the one who finds the rattlesnake or copperhead or tarantula and goes "Oh COOL! Honey come look at this!" That's not saying I don't have a healthy respect for them. I just don't fear any of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast