Tarp
    Kammock Pro
    Insulation
    WB Lynx + OV Storm
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy

Question Expedition vs. Ultralight vs. Hyperlight

Good Morning All ~

I am about to purchase my first HH and I am curious if anyone would share the pros and cons that exist between the HH Expedition Asym Zip, the Backpacker Asym Ultralight Zip and the Asym Hyperlite Zip. Beyond the obvious weight differences, has anyone used all three and have opinions regarding them.

A few points to help with your insights:

1. I am trying to get my pack down to between 15# - 20# (the weight difference between the three types is important, but not critical).

2. I am about 5'9" and <190#.

3. I generally solo hike around the Northwest in the Cascade Range, the Olympic National Park or along the Pacific Coast.

4. Cost is not a deciding factor - overall quality/usefulness is.

5. In your opinion, why is one model better than others? Details are appreciated.

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by Tropicalzach; 08-14-2012 at 08:00. Reason: More Information

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    How tall are you? Some folks find the Expedition models too short. I am 5'9" and I have the Explorer Ultralight and love it. I have not tried the Expedition models though. I tend to prefer a longer hammock.
    "No whining in the woods"

While I don't own all three I own the HH Hyperlite (haven't tried the other two), if I was to compare them I would look at the fabric type used, length, width, and weight. Then using these 4 I would decide which would work/fit best for me.

FWIW I am 5'9" 192# and the Hyperlite fit's me just fine, although I haven't used it in over 2 years, well not that I haven't tried but this is the hammock that my better half (Adia) uses and she loves it, so much so that I don't get to use it anymore..... FWIW she is about 5'6" and skinny'er than I.....

Sorry if this didn't help you much, but, I would look at the complete spec's for all three then decide....Good luck with your decision.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

How much do you weigh? I haven tried the hyperlite but I have had the ExUL and ExD and while I loved the ExD I wanted the weight of the ExUL - I'm at ~220 and I can deffinately tell the difference between the two, the ExD was by far more supportive and comfortable - I would suspect that you would experience similar differences if you are closer to the weight limit in one over the other
    The only other difference that would be noticeable would be the length of them vs your height.
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    There's a 50lb difference in weight capacity between the Ex and the other two.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I'm pretty sure there's not such beast as an expedition ultralite. I'm guessing you're talking about the Explorer Ultralite. As it's been mentioned you'll want the longer hammock if you're nearing 6' or more. I bought an expedition for my son and while I can sleep in it fine, it's not nearly as comfortable as my explorer (I'm 6'0").

A friend of mine has the Backpacker Ultralite (same dimensions at the Hyperlite). He seems to sleep fine in it but I think he's only spent a few nights hanging. It's his only hammock so there's not much room for comparison.

Of the HH zippered models I've seen I'd much rather have my 2QZQ mod vs the stock zipper. They use a smaller but very high quality zipper and the stitching and installation looks better than stock. It will cost extra but is just a little lighter (if that's a concern).

Bottom line is the longer the hammock, the more comfortable it will be. If you're going to be hiking then you'll want the lighter weight model. After that, it just comes down to money. Good luck.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca &amp; NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie &amp; biner
    Images
    I had an HH UL BP Asym and used it for about eeh in grand total over 2 years so that is about 730 nights, sold it to a friend of mine and it is still going strong after NINE years....

I also have a HH UL Explorer, and that has well over 730 nights in it, NINE years of age too....

THey both have the 2qzq modification (#4), I am 1,86 mtr (6'1") and weigh 85 kg (187 lbs) to complete the info...

Hope this helped a bit.

Good luck with your choices and have fun!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    HH Backpacker UL Zip or WBRR
    Tarp
    Kammock Pro
    Insulation
    WB Lynx + OV Storm
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy
    Thanks...now I know that they are a quality product.

Why did you move from the BP UL Asym to the Explorer UL?

Zach

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images

reaons

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalzach View Post

Zach
    Forgot to answer your question. One would move to the heavier Explorer UL because it is a longer and bigger hammock. All else being equal, a longer hammock will be more comfortable than a shorter one. Do you need the additional comfort? Only you can answer that.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca &amp; NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie &amp; biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalzach View Post

Zach
    In my case it was an unreckognized mistake...

I ordered a Hennessy, at that time (2003) through the UK, before I went on a RTW trip for 2.5 years. As my departure date came near, still no hammock, so I called and asked what's happening and explained.

Two days later my hammock arrives. I leave (with that hammock).

Two days later a second hammock arrives. Which I learn of later through email and telephone contact with the folks back 'home'.

After email contact with the seller in the UK, I could keep it, so loaned it to a friend who used it and later my brother who went on a RTW trip too.

I came back (end of 2005) and ended up with two great hammocks and sold one (not even noticing which one) and kept the other....

But as the saying goes: HYOH ...and since we have so many choices now, that decision isn't easy...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast