Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Hammock to Replace Bed

Hi all,

So, I want to replace my bed with a hammock. The problem is, I only have 10 feet between the walls in my bedroom.
    Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been thinking about getting this one:

http://www.seasidehammocks.com/AMAZO...-XXL-p113.html

Or does anyone think it just shouldn't be done?
    I'm 6'1", so I'm afraid that 10 feet just wouldn't be enough of a hanging distance for a comfy sleep every night.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Nice first post. Way to jump in! Maybe hang at an angle in the room to give yourself more distance. BTW, welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    +1 on the angle. It doesn't have to hang corner to corner per se but from one side of the room via angle to across the other side should work. Might want to try something temporary to get the length and height right for ur hammock then think of secure attatchment methods
    Just my .02
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

So, I figured out a way that gives me a little more than 11 feet, but I'd prefer to avoid that setup if possible. I guess my question is, would 10 feet just not be comfy enough. Or even 11 feet?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    This is the one I use every night. It's 10'10" but could be shortened to 10' without affecting the hang much. Good luck on the fulltime.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Amazonas Naturalesa XXL you linked will be fine given those dimensions.

The underlying question is will it be comfortable, not will it fit. At 6'1", it's a toss-up IMO. I'm 6' and find the hammock comfortable. Not as much as my big rigs, but about as comfortable as most camping hammocks. I get it though, a $100 is a lot to spend on a hope and prayer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Wow, that's pretty pricey for a cotton hammock.

In my office I have two eye bolts 9.5 feet apart screwed into the ceiling. The ceiling is one of those that slants from 8 ft, to a 4-ft step wall. I have the eyebolts at 5'3". I hang a $12.99 tablecloth hammock from that and have been sleeping in it for the last week. While I have no adjustability (I'm using continuous loops rather than whoopie), I haven't needed any since the lay is perfect.

So my answer is yes, you could probably hang in a 10 ft. space, since I'm doing it. I just wouldn't do it with a hammock like the one you're considering. At 6'1", you're not going to enjoy the 8 ft. bed length. Though the hammock is listed as 132 inches long, 34 inches of that is the rope/string suspension.

You'd probably be just as happy with a tablecloth hammock - I've been sleeping like a rock in mine.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

In my office I have two eye bolts 9.5 feet apart screwed into the ceiling. The ceiling is one of those that slants from 8 ft, to a 4-ft step wall. I have the eyebolts at 5'3". I hang a $12.99 tablecloth hammock from that and have been sleeping in it for the last week. While I have no adjustability (I'm using continuous loops rather than whoopie), I haven't needed any since the lay is perfect.

So my answer is yes, you could probably hang in a 10 ft. space, since I'm doing it. I just wouldn't do it with a hammock like the one you're considering. At 6'1", you're not going to enjoy the 8 ft. bed length. Though the hammock is listed as 132 inches long, 34 inches of that is the rope/string suspension.

You'd probably be just as happy with a tablecloth hammock - I've been sleeping like a rock in mine.
    I second that. Go with a different type of hammock to ensure a more comfortable experience. Besides, if you dont like it your only out about $13. Its real easy to make a hammock by going to tableclothsfactory.com.

There is tones of guides on this site on how to whip the ends of the hammock and set up your own suspension system. Its very easy to do.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    At 6'1", you're not going to enjoy the 8 ft. bed length. Though the hammock is listed as 132 inches long, 34 inches of that is the rope/string suspension.
    Ah yes, but just like hanging corner to corner gets you more room, so does sleeping on the diagonal. Which is easy to do on 5'+ of bed fabric width. Additionally, the rope/string suspension allows a better spread of the material than any gathering method could hope to provide. The combination of these two make a shorter hammock more workable than you would think at a glance. For long term sleeping, I would choose a hammock like the one being discussed over a gathered-end hammock any day of the week. One can get some serious diagonal when these hammock are hung correctly (ie. with enough sag), which translates into a flat(ish) position.

That said, length is the most important aspect, I agree. But, with only ten feet of hanging distance to work with, I'd still take a short hammock with Brazilian ends and embrace the sag, before a gathered-end. As always, JMO.
    Trust nobody!

+1 on the table cloth and ceiling hang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast