Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition

Using a barrel bag to make a UQ

Hello,

I have been reading up on everything in this forum and it has been a great resource. I have an idea to make a UQ from a cheap barrel bag that I saw is on sale. Since we are coming up to fall and the weather is getting colder here, I thought I would ditch my thremarest ridgerest (super warm, but slides around) and try and DIY an underquilt for the fall. I sleep pretty warm, so I think anything more would just make me sweat at night.

Here's the idea. I figure since the barrel type sleeping bag is already the correct shape (ie. roomy mummy bag) it should be fairly simple to run a couple of channels and run eith para cord or shock cord (or both) and make it work. The only thing I don't understand is how these things attached to the actual hammock. Is it just at the ends, and the rest is tensioned to stay in place? Or are there ways to run it through the tie out loops on a Hennessy?

Here is the bag BTW - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Canadian Tire FTW!

Thoughts? or is this just a crazy idea?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rylake View Post
    Here's the idea. I figure since the barrel type sleeping bag is already the correct shape (ie. roomy mummy bag) it should be fairly simple to run a couple of channels and run eith para cord or shock cord (or both) and make it work. The only thing I don't understand is how these things attached to the actual hammock. Is it just at the ends, and the rest is tensioned to stay in place? Or are there ways to run it through the tie out loops on a Hennessy?

Here is the bag BTW - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
    Hey Rylake

The sleeping bag you linked to weighs 5 pounds (according to the description). Looking at the picture of the bag, I think it would make a better top quilt than underquilt candidate. Being that it is center zip and doesn't really have a hood, you could just use it upside down with it unzipped and be good to go.

Sleeping bag conversion to underquilts are usually done with bags that can be unzipped flat (rectangular shaped bags). Most underquilts aren't much wider than 48" and the length varies depending if you want full length or partial length. Suspension is usually done with full length shock cord through channels, or shock cord from the corners, or both (hammock gear, leighlo). As for attaching to the hammock, most hammocks have a ball of fabric at the gathered end in which the UQ suspension shock cord is hung over. If not then they are usually attached to the hammock suspension with a carabiner or similar device.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Hey Rylake

The sleeping bag you linked to weighs 5 pounds (according to the description). Looking at the picture of the bag, I think it would make a better top quilt than underquilt candidate. Being that it is center zip and doesn't really have a hood, you could just use it upside down with it unzipped and be good to go.

Sleeping bag conversion to underquilts are usually done with bags that can be unzipped flat (rectangular shaped bags). Most underquilts aren't much wider than 48" and the length varies depending if you want full length or partial length. Suspension is usually done with full length shock cord through channels, or shock cord from the corners, or both (hammock gear, leighlo). As for attaching to the hammock, most hammocks have a ball of fabric at the gathered end in which the UQ suspension shock cord is hung over. If not then they are usually attached to the hammock suspension with a carabiner or similar device.

Cheers

Brian
    Thanks for the response. I was thinking that since the bag already had the shape basically right, I could trim down the middle portion to contour on the top edge of the hammock and just shock cord the ends and suspension. It seems that a square bag/quilts need to be cinched all the time to "make" it fit.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Ditto on using it as a TQ. I would try it as is first before you start doing any mods. My wife and used our old mummy sleeping bags as TQs until I could affort real TQs.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts