Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhb627 View Post
    I was using 12' of webbing when I used rings. But I also have big Oak trees my way
    Thanks for the info! =]

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    The reality about (Slap-Staps) the will not
    Leave you on the ground the stretch is minimal
    And for $19.00 you won't have to mod your hammock
    or make anything
    I'm a big guy and have yet to find my self or my butt on the ground
    while using my (Slap-Straps) but Eno has come
    out with new straps called (Atlis-Straps)
    This is only MHO
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    As far as whoopies goes, they are great and very light and compact and just flat out awesome. After saying that, I have gone back to my Polyester Webbing and Ring Buckle system. I just like it better. More simple, less to setup, easier to adjust, but drawback is about 4 oz of added weight. Its a preference thing.

As far as Nylon, I have both nylon and poly and many swear it doesnt stretch and many swear it will stretch like a rubber band. Truth is, nylon typically stretches 6-9% of its original Taught length. When it gets drenched, it will stretch even more. It takes hours to achieve that 9%+ mark. But 9% aint much if your straps are short. But if each strap is stretched out 10' (including circumference of the tree) then you start to see the stretch alittle more. It's kindof and on going debate on nylon right now. Some may disagree with my statistics and that's fine. I suggest you roam the web and find a few manufacturing sites that list the specs to their webbing like I did and just see for yourself. Some nylons like tubular nylon webbing my have very little stretch. It just depends.

Some other drawbacks to nylon are that it starts to Rot in direct sunlight. Now it would take quite a few days out in the sun for me to start to question its integrity, but the fact still remains that it happens.

Nylon is typically used in Recovery operations because of the stretch and spring it has.
    Polyester is typically used in Cargo or Marine type applications because it has very little stretch. It also is unaffected by UV rays.

I would play around with various types of suspensions and see what works best for you. There are tons of awesome suspension systems here that our members came up with.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls
    bhinson - I have used the Slap Straps and I had similar experience as you. Not very much stretch, certainly not enough to leave my butt on the ground. That was just a secondary issue for me, with the main one being the spacing in the connection points. Now of course, the Atlas Straps have more connection points, but they're $30 and even with more connection points the issue of not getting the proper tension can still arise, so if I can make the ring buckle method which takes care of tension issues completely and save a few bucks, I like that idea! =]

XTrekker - I appreciate the info. I'm gonna go with the Poly and rings to start, and if I need to change it up in the future, then I will! =D

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great info XTrekker. Thank you for sharing.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    As far as whoopies goes, they are great and very light and compact and just flat out awesome. After saying that, I have gone back to my Polyester Webbing and Ring Buckle system. I just like it better. More simple, less to setup, easier to adjust, but drawback is about 4 oz of added weight. Its a preference thing.

As far as Nylon, I have both nylon and poly and many swear it doesnt stretch and many swear it will stretch like a rubber band. Truth is, nylon typically stretches 6-9% of its original Taught length. When it gets drenched, it will stretch even more. It takes hours to achieve that 9%+ mark. But 9% aint much if your straps are short. But if each strap is stretched out 10' (including circumference of the tree) then you start to see the stretch alittle more. It's kindof and on going debate on nylon right now. Some may disagree with my statistics and that's fine. I suggest you roam the web and find a few manufacturing sites that list the specs to their webbing like I did and just see for yourself. Some nylons like tubular nylon webbing my have very little stretch. It just depends.

Some other drawbacks to nylon are that it starts to Rot in direct sunlight. Now it would take quite a few days out in the sun for me to start to question its integrity, but the fact still remains that it happens.

Nylon is typically used in Recovery operations because of the stretch and spring it has.
    Polyester is typically used in Cargo or Marine type applications because it has very little stretch. It also is unaffected by UV rays.

I would play around with various types of suspensions and see what works best for you. There are tons of awesome suspension systems here that our members came up with.
    The math sounds right. I know this (less specific and more general than what you say): Nylon has a 1) lower melting point than polyester 2) more general stretch than polyester (even more when wet) 3) less abrasion resistance than polyester and 4) less UV resistance than polyester. Certain types of nylon may be worse than others, but you can approach any hanging application with these certainties.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Eno DN
    Suspension
    webbing/ring bckls

Attaching descending rings.

Hey guys, I attached some pictures. Can someone give me some tips on how to attach these descending rings to my hammock? I'm hoping to be able to do it without replacing the rope already attached to my hammock. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123