Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nj4x4fever View Post
    Do each campsites have separate fire pits so we can do our cooking over a fire near our hang area? Or is there a designated area for open fire?
    there are only 13 campsites and 60 people. individuall fires would be a problem. we usually have a group fire, but NO FIRES FROM 10am-4pm they are very strict about this.
    TY
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    we will be bring an assortment of muffins. from Banana Nut to Spam Muffins. working on a liver, bacon and onion one
    I LOVE MAPLES MUFFINS I am so excited she is baking them again for this hang. I look forward to them every hang I go to. Nothing beat warm banana nut muffin in the morning.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    there are only 13 campsites and 60 people. individuall fires would be a problem. we usually have a group fire, but NO FIRES FROM 10am-4pm they are very strict about this.
    TY
    KK
    I will have a smoker going almost all day saturday and will have one grill not in use if you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I LOVE MAPLES MUFFINS I am so excited she is baking them again for this hang. I look forward to them every hang I go to. Nothing beat warm banana nut muffin in the morning.
    And now that there is a dessert category, she can enter them.

(Side note: The trophy says Desert, not Dessert. In my haste I spelled it wrong. They are out of the trophy I got so once it is back in stock I will order it and ship it to the winner. Or I can get some tape and just write Dessert on the tape. )
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Images
    Did I read Spam muffin???

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Did I read Spam muffin???
    actually they are Span-n-cheese muffins, but YES
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

WBBB and Superfly just showed up in the mail. I'm ready to go!

Looking forward to this, should be arriving Friday afternoon or so.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Exclamation

Man, it's brisk out! Makes me want to be in the woods right now, instead of this weekend.

On a more serious note - and Iafte, I hope you don't mind me speaking for the 'group' for a second:

It's looking like it's going to be cold this weekend. While that excites and thrills many of us (some might call us odd ...), the truth is that the last thing any of us want is for someone to spend a misearable night in the cold (well, except maybe SilvrSurfr - he's mean spirited like that ). Remember, as we've said before, that it is technically car camping - so bring extra insulation. Throw an extra blanket or sleeping bag in the car if you can - there's no downside. Bring some extra hot cocoa or tea, and don't be shy about asking to borrow a stove to boil water to make a hot drink. And many of us may have extra gear with us - so if you're not 100% certain your kit can keep you comfortable, speak up. I think I remember my first year someone spent the first night uncomfortable and cold. the next day, they asked around, and with the assembled knowledge of the folks there they were able to get things worked out and the second night (which was much colder) was spent comfortably. That same year I had a DIY topquilt that just didn't cut it for the temps we had - my feet were frozen all night long (getting my car stuck in the lake of a puddle on the way in of Friday and spending the weekend with wet feet might have had something to do with that). Saturday night I said screw it and pulled out the spare 0˚ heavy sleeping bag I had tossed in the trunk - it wasn't nearly as cool as using my own homemade gear, but at least I slept better.

Group hangs are a great way to meet people, check out new gear, and learn stuff. We're also a friendly bunch, overall. Don't be shy - if you're a newbie and this is one of your first trips out in sub-freezing weather, don't suffer through the night and risk a dangerous situation because you didn't ask for help. We'll have a great time, eat lots of great food, tell some ridiculous stories, watch Bruce fall asleep in his chair by the fire ... don't spend the rest of a fun night shivering in your hammock when you don't have to.

Thus ends the only responsible sentiment you'll hear me utter for the duration of the experience. Everything from here on out will be inappropriate, foul mouthed, and fueled by a bottle of Dickel.

See you all soon.

Images
    good post i know i will have extra quilts to lend if needed

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Man, it's brisk out! Makes me want to be in the woods right now, instead of this weekend.

On a more serious note - and Iafte, I hope you don't mind me speaking for the 'group' for a second:

It's looking like it's going to be cold this weekend. While that excites and thrills many of us (some might call us odd ...), the truth is that the last thing any of us want is for someone to spend a misearable night in the cold (well, except maybe SilvrSurfr - he's mean spirited like that ). Remember, as we've said before, that it is technically car camping - so bring extra insulation. Throw an extra blanket or sleeping bag in the car if you can - there's no downside. Bring some extra hot cocoa or tea, and don't be shy about asking to borrow a stove to boil water to make a hot drink. And many of us may have extra gear with us - so if you're not 100% certain your kit can keep you comfortable, speak up. I think I remember my first year someone spent the first night uncomfortable and cold. the next day, they asked around, and with the assembled knowledge of the folks there they were able to get things worked out and the second night (which was much colder) was spent comfortably. That same year I had a DIY topquilt that just didn't cut it for the temps we had - my feet were frozen all night long (getting my car stuck in the lake of a puddle on the way in of Friday and spending the weekend with wet feet might have had something to do with that). Saturday night I said screw it and pulled out the spare 0˚ heavy sleeping bag I had tossed in the trunk - it wasn't nearly as cool as using my own homemade gear, but at least I slept better.

Group hangs are a great way to meet people, check out new gear, and learn stuff. We're also a friendly bunch, overall. Don't be shy - if you're a newbie and this is one of your first trips out in sub-freezing weather, don't suffer through the night and risk a dangerous situation because you didn't ask for help. We'll have a great time, eat lots of great food, tell some ridiculous stories, watch Bruce fall asleep in his chair by the fire ... don't spend the rest of a fun night shivering in your hammock when you don't have to.

Thus ends the only responsible sentiment you'll hear me utter for the duration of the experience. Everything from here on out will be inappropriate, foul mouthed, and fueled by a bottle of Dickel.

See you all soon.
    I only did that the one year. It was all the running around and making sure everyone was having a good time. Batteries got depleted and I turned off.

But yes, Car camping = bring extra. Blankets, sleeping bags, pillows. Hand warmers help.

They are calling for Snow on Friday. Still not sure on how much, but they are saying it will be mostly evening/night. So getting everything setup before it starts will make it easier. We will be down at camp sometime between 8:30am and 9:30am to make sure we get everything setup before it starts snowing.

Between 10am and 4pm we can't have a fire so stay active (cutting wood, go for a hike, Help build the new snowfa and love sleet, help my kids make a giant snowman, have a snowball fight with my kids). I will have a smoker going during this time so people can hang out around it for warmth, but no peeking inside.

We want you to enjoy yourself, ask any questions you may have. You can even do a test sleep(get in hammock with what you are planning on sleeping in) and if you have any cold spots ask for help. Better to ask before sleeping then finding out after everyone is asleep and you have an uncomfortable nights sleep.

Maybe I'll have a pot of coffee on at all times during the day.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    I only did that the one year. It was all the running around and making sure everyone was having a good time. Batteries got depleted and I turned off.
    The best part of that was watching Stalker poke you with a stick repeatedly until you finally woke up. Whatever - you earned it that year.

We want you to enjoy yourself, ask any questions you may have. You can even do a test sleep(get in hammock with what you are planning on sleeping in) and if you have any cold spots ask for help. Better to ask before sleeping then finding out after everyone is asleep and you have an uncomfortable nights sleep.
    Exactly. It's a great opportunity to get in your hammock, and have someone else come take a look and help check for gaps, make adjustments to your UQ suspension, etc.

Maybe I'll have a pot of coffee on at all times during the day.
    I'm more than happy to assist with this!

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast