Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track

What do you do with your gear

I am new to the forum and considering getting a Hennessey Explorer Hammock for use in canoe camping. What does everyone do with their gear such as clothes, cooking equipment, food etc. Being used to tent camping, I usually have everything inside the tent out of the weather and the tent provides a place to change clothes. I tried to find a few threads for advice for a new Hammock camper, especially cold weather accessories for spring camping in the northeast, but had no luck. Any advice or instructions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    crazy creek/chrysalis/B.A.T/skeeter
    Tarp
    travel h tarp tent
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Images
    Not a canoe, but on motorcycle camping trips I string a ridge line under my tarp.
    Hanging everything I have with me (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, wet socks, etc) by carabiners.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Check here - http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

Gear storage is at the bottom and warmth ideas are on the Staying Warm tab.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Also, check out the threads on the Warbonnet Blackbird. It's got cool wings to store stuff in. You'll have to get a tarp for it. But you may be able to find someone selling a tarp and get one cheaper.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    That's the reason I first put a zipper on my HH bugnet and then switched to a top loader. When backpacking I make a pack stand out of my hiking poles to hold my pack off of the ground and make it easy to reach things in it. When canoeing I just keep things in drybags on the ground next to my hammock under the tarp. For changing clothes I use a lightweight "wrap". Basically a velcroed skirt that covers the hithers and yon while I slip clothes off and on.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    I hang my internal frame backpack and other gear from a tree close to the hammock. I also keep some gear inside the hammock with me and in the pockets on the bottom of the hammock (I have a Clark North American hammock which has bottom pockets). I wrap a small tarp around the backpack and also put the rain cover on the backpack.

Regards,

CB

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track
    Thanks for all of the great feedback and especially the links for this newbie.
    Tony

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x12 Sil Nylon
    Insulation
    Peapod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I am new to the forum and considering getting a Hennessey Explorer Hammock for use in canoe camping. What does everyone do with their gear such as clothes, cooking equipment, food etc. Being used to tent camping, I usually have everything inside the tent out of the weather and the tent provides a place to change clothes. I tried to find a few threads for advice for a new Hammock camper, especially cold weather accessories for spring camping in the northeast, but had no luck. Any advice or instructions would be appreciated.
    I had some of those problems, though I backpack instead of canoe.

For gear, sometimes, I hang my pack from the suspension lines or a tree. Other times, I put it under or alongside my hammock on a small ground cloth that I carry for that purpose. If the rain is falling sideways, I wrap the ground cloth around my pack. My tarp is big enough (8' x 12') to cover me and my gear when it rains.

Changing clothes. Why?? I don't do that any more. Just wearing the same clothes all of the time is a big timesaver and you need to carry fewer clothes.

There are several recent cold weather hanging threads on these forums right now. Look for Shug's video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f as well his posts here to get started.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    I canoe camp trips of 3-10 days and spend about 30-60 days a year on the river. I take groups of 6-12 people. This last season was my first with a hammock. I carry most stuff in waterproof bags (NRS Bill's Bags) and other versions of waterproof bags. I simply string a line either under my tarp or near my site and keep things in my bags and close them and hang them. I don't have to worry about critters or rain and it helps to keep me organized. I also carry a thwart bag for essentials such as tooth paste, water bottles, sunscreen, etc. etc. and lay a tarp on the ground under my hammock and keep that bag there. It is handy at night if I need it, and when I step out of the hammock at night, the tarp keeps my feet clean and my sandals are readily available.

Hammock camping while canoeing has been so much easier for me than tent camping. I am up with my stuff much more quickly, more easily organized, and don't have to get on the ground and crawl in and out of a nylon cave called a tent. I like the openness, the convenience, but most of all after a day of paddling 20-30 miles, there is nothing like a great night of rest without additional aches and pains as a result of the bed. I have always been the first one up when sleeping in a tent. Now, I sleep so soundly, I usually am awakened by someone breaking sticks for that morning fire and great first cup of coffee.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast