Tarp
    DIY silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG burrow &pheonix
    Suspension
    Rings & straps
    Images

grosgrain trimming

Im making my own tarp and want to do grosgrain trimming but i'm confused on how to do it. Does anyone know? I have already looked at the blackcat tarp instructions on how but I'm still not getting it. If anyone has any pictures on how to do it that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    I, too, found little to no specific info on attaching grosgrain. Here's how I did the tarp I just finished:

0) Use ~1" grosgrain. I had to settle for 7/8" tape, and it was fine. I think if you lower than 5/8" it gets hard to sew and your stitches are right on the edge of the fabric (weak). If you can find pre-folded grosgrain, go for it!!

1) Iron the gros-grain in half with a dry iron on a fairly hard (T-shirt on a tile counter) surface. Use the polyester setting (medium). Ideally, you'll iron so one side sticks out just a hair, to make it easier to pick up with the needle (it's on the underside), but that's not needed if you don't sew super close to the edge. Prefolded grosgrain eliminates this step.

2) Singe (sp?) the cut ends of the grosgrain with a flame. Position the end of the grosgrain so it sticks out over one of the corners 1/4" or so, and push the fabric (flat) all the way into the folded grosgrain. Pin in place.

3) Sew with a straight stitch, medium stich length (my preference) starting about 1" away from the corner. As you get close to the needle, remove it and position the next 3" segment of grosgrain with another needle(s). If you are practiced sewing, I found it easy to keep the grosgrain in position with fingers working in 3" segments.

4) When you are ~3" from the corner (grosgrain termination) cut the grosgrain about 1/4" past the corner, and fold the excess under before wrapping it around the fabric. Pin this in place and finish the stiching with a few backstitches.

5) Repeat step 4) for the end you left unsewn at the beginning of this edge.

*EDIT*
    6) I found a single row of stitching to be very strong on my tarp. I suppose you could make it double-bombproof by doing a second row closer to the edge of the grosgrain than the first if your careful not to run over the hidden edge underneath.

Honestly, I found the grosgrain to be the easiest part of the whole endeavor, I was done in about 2 hours. I think a rolled hem would be more difficult, wouldn't look as pretty, and wouldn't hold up as well. Aside from weight (and cost) I choose grosgrain hands down.

TCB
    Last edited by SteelToe; 08-14-2012 at 22:25.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG burrow &pheonix
    Suspension
    Rings & straps
    Images
    Thanks! That really simplifies how to do it. I will definitely be referring to this when I finally get to it.

• + New Posts