Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

Having "drafty" issues with hammock gear uq's....any suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I have spent probably 20 nights in the hammock this summer(maybe more) and almost all of them have been with Hammock Gear full length underquilts. They are plenty warm but I'm having issues with wind draft getting between it and the hammock. I have used another brand of quilt in the past and have never encountered this problem. Can someone let me in on the "secret"? I've tried hanging it using the JRB UQ suspension, tried tying it up and over the quilt to keep it tighter with the hammock, adjusted the end pull strings several times. Ive tried connecting the line inside the UQ to above the RL of the hammock etc. I honestly don't know of another way to try it. I'm using a WBBB 1.7dbl. I was in Sturgis SD a couple weeks ago and I had a 40* UQ on. The temps were in the 60's but the wind was probably 20+ mph all night and I absolutely froze my butt off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Are you cinching the end channels too tight? I've found with my incubator that too tight can be a source of drafts. Loosen them up all the way and see what happens. It helps to have someone adjust them for you while you're in the hammock. The way Adam tapers his UQs with the long darts, the end channels don't need to be cinched too much.

Images
    Wow Lee, this stinks. I have not owned this brand of UQ so I can't comment specifically. Other than to state the obvious: No matter which quilt, obviously you have to block that wind. So I assume you had a tarp blocking that wind?

But I think you are asking about problems other than wind. I'm fortunate that I don't really have this problem with any of my set ups, though my WB Climashield Yeti did have some learning curve to it. I had to learn to pull it tight enough and to make sure it is not too far past my shoulder line towards my head. But I'm sure you have already gone that route also.

When you say draft, do you mean cold air is coming in the ends and/or sides and getting under you? ( I think that is your main complaint, right?) Or are you instead talking about wind hitting the quilt?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG INC\TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    check the ridge line of the hammock and measure and the angles I find that if the warbonnet is set up right it helps. Als try clipping the s binners above the hammock I have the woopies with desecder rings and I clip to those, be sure to fluff the down to redistribute it. I flip it around and slap it to even out the down and allow it to uncompress/ also there are weather sheilds jacks r better makes one thats also a poncho
    Last edited by phatpacker; 08-14-2012 at 23:25. Reason: added

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I have the same problem with my DIY JRB clone.

I finally made a weather shield from a dri-ducks poncho (dual use doncha know??) That seems to have cured the problem, although I only have a few nights with the weather shield to date.

My problem was that the material isn't windproof to any degree.

I was comfortable at 25ish degrees on a still night. Froze on several windy nights just below 30.
    grinder

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    +1 to what Detail Man said. I would have someone adjust the UQ while you are in the hammock, or have you adjust it while they are in the hammock in your place.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    The good news is that there is a solution to the drafts issue. With assistance from a friend you can locate the source of the drafts quickly and make the necessary adjustments sometimes in just a few minutes. Anyway you'll be surprised.

Phoenix adjustment is pretty simple, the Incubator does take more fiddling sort of a trapazoid pull on corners where your feet and head are not. My big 0* Incubator (old design) pulls up nice and snug with no additional suspension added to the ridgeline.

David

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I had the same issue. The way I fixed both 20F and 0f, there is a shock cord that runs round the UQ and attaches to hammock at both ends. I found the UQ slides down the shock cord towards middle of hammock just enough that during the night it drops alittle in the middle allowing drafs.
    This is what I did to Fix:
    1. I took out the shock cords and sewed loops at each corner.
    2. I cut off a peace of shock cord and tied to one corner loop then slide it though the other corner loop with a cord lock for adjusting the end shock cord. do at both head and foot ends
    3. Make sure there is plenty of sock cord to strech around hammock ends.
    4. Have someone get in hammock, put UQ on and adjust as needed at both ends.

Now my UQ sides are tight and won't slide down shock cord and sag...
    This worked for me.
    Last edited by SmokeHouse; 08-15-2012 at 07:51. Reason: adding

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I did Smokehouse's fix to all my hammocks and since my quilts were older I added draft collars to both ends. AND I now always have someone looks at my quilts while I'm in the hammock to make sure they are sealing properly.

I also mark the quilts ends somehow so I always have one end as the headend and the other as the footend so there is less adjusting needed each time I do a setup.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-15-2012 at 08:50.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts