Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Uh...another oops. My Sierra Designs Wicked Fast is 26 oz. My NS weighs 21.5 and my Nest weighs 23.6. So at 15 oz that would be 6.5 or 8.6 oz. But since this Stealth weighs 16.25 oz, it's a savings of 5.25 oz over the NS that I usually carry. Thanks for the catch. Edited the post and fixed it on the site.

I mean, uh, yeah...I was counting the pad savings...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I mean, uh, yeah...I was counting the pad savings...
    Well yeah, that's what I thought!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Very nice review. I was thinking along these lines two weeks ago as I was sweating under my No Sniveler -- too cool to not have something but the NS was just a little too much.

But what I REALLY like is the color. Never been a fan of the emerald green they use. But then again, if JRB did come out with stealthy colors, then I'd have to replace three quilts! No small investment there.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Haha - yep. Replacing expensive gear ain't no fun...especially with inflation! My 3-Season Set was $395 in 2004! No plans to replace it anytime soon, fortunately.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps

How low can you go

I don't camp in the cold too often but being up on the west coast of Canada we do see some cooler nights. I was thinking of buying a stealth, but our lows are right about it's limits. We can dip to 5-10 celcius at night, which is about 40 farenheight on the low end. Any input from owners? I figure add a pair of thermal underwear or a light fleece liner and that would work. Opinions? Thanks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bradypatterson View Post
    I don't camp in the cold too often but being up on the west coast of Canada we do see some cooler nights. I was thinking of buying a stealth, but our lows are right about it's limits. We can dip to 5-10 celcius at night, which is about 40 farenheight on the low end. Any input from owners? I figure add a pair of thermal underwear or a light fleece liner and that would work. Opinions? Thanks.
    Welcome to HF Brady! And sure, you can push any quilt or bag when you need to by layering various garments such as fleece, synthetic or down parks/vests/pants or for the really adventurous vapor barrier clothing. ( just make sure you understand how VBs work so you don't get wet) I have done all of the above many times with much success.

BTW, is this a new record for resurrecting and old thread? 4.5 years since the last post? Good one! No matter, the subject matter and questions don't change!

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I have used the original version Stealth spoken above in the 2008 comments. Also, upgraded and been using the latest version which is wider at the shoulders, the Sierra Stealth. I am 5' 11" tall and use the long size.

Both have kept me warm down to 5 °C with light layers on. Here in northern PA we can still get down to 2°C over night in early June. On those nights I might have to shake the down from the outer edges of the Stealth to the middle and puff it up there. Even then the Stealth has kept me plenty warm. A light thermal or fleece layer for me would definitely keep me warm with this quilt at 5 °C.

As with any quilt, the hammock allows for a nice seal on the edges when you tuck it in around you. That helps extend the lower temp range of this quilt. Being sold also to ground sleepers, 5°C is the absolute lowest I can get away with using it on the ground.

One other thing, the Stealth continues its use in the winter. I layer the Sierra Stealth inside a sleeping bag or another quilt to extend their lower temp limit ie -15°C. I dont carry a parka to wear around camp but layer the Stealth over my lighter jackets. If needed I put a larger wind jacket over it to break the wind. I have to go with multiple use on my items to get it all inside my pack.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks for the help and welcome BillyBob and Hobbit. I will soon be the proud owner of a stealth courtesy of another forum member. Thanks flight_chick!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12